Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Default Texas House Bans 'Suggestive' Cheerleading

Yahoo Story

By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas - After an alternately comic and fiery debate — punctuated by several lawmakers waving pompons — the state House on Tuesday approved a bill to restrict "overtly sexually suggestive" cheerleading to more ladylike performances.

The bill would give the state education commissioner authority to request that school districts review high school performances.

"Girls can get out and do all of these overly sexually performances and we applaud them, and that's not right," said Democratic Rep. Al Edwards, who filed the legislation.

Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

Ribald performances are not defined in the bill. "Any adult that's been involved with sex in their lives, they know it when they see it," he said.

The bill passed on a 65-56 vote. It still must be approved by the Senate and signed by Republican Gov. Rick Perry.

One critic questioned the legislation's priorities.

"Have we done anything about stem cell research to help people who are dying and are sick advance their health? No," said Democratic Rep. Senfronia Thompson. "Have we done anything about the mentally ill, school finance or ethics?"

The American Civil Liberties Union said the measure was unnecessary because state law already prohibits public lewdness by students on or near a school campus.

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Default Re: Texas House Bans 'Suggestive' Cheerleading

Originally posted by jason
    Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
    Uhm....yeah, that's what causes them.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Default Re: Texas House Bans 'Suggestive' Cheerleading

"Girls can get out and do all of these overly sexually performances and we applaud them, and that's not right," said Democratic Rep. Al Edwards, who filed the legislation.

Ribald performances are not defined in the bill. "Any adult that's been involved with sex in their lives, they know it when they see it," he said.
    That is some funny reading!

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Default Re: Re: Texas House Bans 'Suggestive' Cheerleading

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    Uhm....yeah, that's what causes them.
    i think this is what causes those things...

Default Re: Re: Re: Texas House Bans 'Suggestive' Cheerleading

i think this is what causes those things...

OMG - LMAO!!!

AggieJohn

how did you make that jason

BHKrystal06

This is so stupid....I bet cheerleaders and ex-cheerleaders everywhere are mad...I know I am....I mean, just beacuse some of those moves and done in cheers and dances doesn't mean a thing...it's just done for people to pay attention to them and to get them 'pumped' up...

PurpleFreddy

Isn't it the dance teams who are somewhat suggestive? I can't recall seeing many suggestive cheerleading moves (except those two cheerleaders in "The Replacements.")

What morons we have in the State House!

Originally posted by BHKrystal06
    This is so stupid....I bet cheerleaders and ex-cheerleaders everywhere are mad...I know I am....I mean, just beacuse some of those moves and done in cheers and dances doesn't mean a thing...it's just done for people to pay attention to them and to get them 'pumped' up...

the bill or whatever is stupid, but having a teen aged girl movin her rear end does not help the football or basketball team win.

Bandera YaYa

Personally, cheerleaders of all levels just irritate me. I go to watch the games and I would rather yell what I want to yell. Most of the time, they haven't a clue as to what's going on in the game so what's the point?......BUT, I am a mom of a former cheerleader so I understand a parents view on the subject....and there are alot of squads made up of girls doing waaaaaaay too much with their bodies in front of family and strangers......just my 3 cents worth on this subject. But to debate about banning it, is a waste of time for our government body and our hard earned bucks....

I wonder if Gov Perry will sign this grandstanding piece of garbage.

Originally posted by raider red 2000
    the bill or whatever is stupid, but having a teen aged girl movin her rear end does not help the football or basketball team win.
    That's true,but bands,cheerleaders, and such add to the atmosphere.

spiveyrat

Originally posted by BHKrystal06
    ... and to get them 'pumped' up...
    That's an interesting choice of words.

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Originally posted by spiveyrat
    That's an interesting choice of words.
    That's kind of what I thought...might explain the reason for the bill to begin with.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

spiveyrat

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    That's kind of what I thought...might explain the reason for the bill to begin with.