Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    middleagecardinal

Default Barbers Hill vs Sheperd

Published May 04, 2005

KINGWOOD — Barbers Hill’s hitting problems, which had materialized at the beginning of the year, stayed with them to the very end. Tuesday night, the Lady Eagles season came to an end in a 2-1 loss to Shepherd in a Class 3A Region 3 area round contest.

Clutch hits never occurred as the Lady Eagles stranded eight runners in the game.

“That killed us,” Barbers Hill coach Kirk Hall said. “But we haven’t hit all year with people on base. They pretty much beat us with one person.”

Samantha Cummings overcame a shaky first inning and went the distance for the Lady Pirates to improve her record to 22-4 on the year. Cummings gave up five hits and struck out eight while walking three. The only run she gave up was unearned.

The Lady Eagles saw a golden opportunity pass them by in the first inning after loading the bases with one out. Alexa Lyday and Heather Mosser each walked and Chandler Hall advanced the runners on a single. However, nothing came of the threat as Cummings regrouped and picked up two strikeouts to end the threat. In the second, Barbers Hill made good on another opportunity.

With two outs, Jackie Sparks picked up a single. After advancing to second on a passed ball, Sparks came home when a Lexi Stephens’ fly ball to center field was dropped.

Barbers Hill had a 1-0 lead but it was short-lived as Shepherd tied the game up on an error. Stephens made two great plays from second for the first two outs of the inning. But after Erin Worley reached on a single, followed by a walk to Stephanie Brawley, disaster struck.

Stormi Prater hit a routine ground ball to Stephens which was mishandled. Stephens compounded the mistake by rushing the throw, which went to the fence. The error sallowed Worley to score to tie the game, 1-1, after two innings.

The errors continued in the third inning when two miscues allowed Barbers Hill to put runners on second and third. But a bunt attempt by Katie Blaylock was popped up to Cummings, who threw to third from her knees to double up Mosser for the third out.

In the third, Shepherd took their first lead of the game. Cummings blasted a ball to left-center for a stand-up triple with two outs. Sarah Herrod followed with an RBI single to score Cummings.

Barbers Hill had scoring opportunities in the fourth and sixth, getting runners to third base. However both chances came with two outs, and each time the inning ended with a strikeout.

Barbers Hill mounted one last rally in the top of the seventh when Stephens and Lyday each singled with one out. But a Mosser grounder to shortstop resulted in a force play at third to end the game.

“We had a good season,” Hall said. “The problem was you can’t keep winning 1-0. It caught up with us. Chandler pitched well and the defense played well. We gave up a run on an error but we weren’t going to win on one run anyway.”

Chandler Hall took the loss, giving up two runs, one of which was unearned. Hall gave up four hits and struck out four while walking one.

BTEXDAD

Congratulations to Sheperd for the win and to Barbers Hill for a good season.
    It's a tough region and there'll be a lot of good teams that won't make it to the final four.

BHKrystal06

Congratulations girls on a great season...

All-American

WOW, When you have great teams like those stacked in Region III this year-- anyone can upset anyone else. Kirk Hall came out of the Select team business to take the Coaches job at BH and has done an exemplary job in running the program. Chandler Hall his daughter will be back with a host of young friends to do battle again next season. I am hearing the after next year BH will only be 4A for 2 years and then go 5A. Since they are at around 1300+ students next year there is strong talk that another additional 5A size school will start construction in a year or two. Four mega-housing additions are in process of being built.
    BH is a good team, boy Shepherd must be loaded to take them out of the playoffs!

Sheppard, Sealy, and Bellville are good teams that have gotten a little better each game as the season has progressed, they all will be tough to get out of the bracket play.

Originally posted by Old Cardinal
    WOW, When you have great teams like those stacked in Region III this year-- anyone can upset anyone else. Kirk Hall came out of the Select team business to take the Coaches job at BH and has done an exemplary job in running the program. Chandler Hall his daughter will be back with a host of young friends to do battle again next season. I am hearing the after next year BH will only be 4A for 2 years and then go 5A. Since they are at around 1300+ students next year there is strong talk that another additional 5A size school will start construction in a year or two. Four mega-housing additions are in process of being built.
    BH is a good team, boy Shepherd must be loaded to take them out of the playoffs!

Sheppard, Sealy, and Bellville are good teams that have gotten a little better each game as the season has progressed, they all will be tough to get out of the bracket play.
    Wow,that's a lot of growth. Is Barbers Hill a suburb of Houston?

All-American

Looks like BH may be a twin city of Houston at some point LOL....The tremendous growth along the coast in what is called the Greater Houston area is phenomenal. BH is loaded with big oil money.They can hire anyone that beats them in sports and they all have a great academic developmental attitude. This is the preferred place to gravitiate to live if your job is anywhere near the east side of Baytown or even Houston.

RBARKER

Congrats to Shepard on the win and to BH for a great season. BH will return everyone on the team but next year. As far as the growth at BH is is on a steady incline and by the numbers I have seen will not be 3A anymore after the next realignment. As far as going to 5A that is still to come. I think BH will stay 4A for the next several years before going into the 5A ranks.

Thanks for the Info Old Cardinal. I really hadn't heard of BH before reading this board, and had assumed it was a small, stand-alone town.

Originally posted by Old Cardinal

Surely Shepperd must have some select team players to beat the likes of Barbers Hill

And there is no way in the world that BH is anywhere near 1300 students for next year. That would put the incoming freshman class at well over 600 students and I know better than that.

matter of fact I had to go to the TEA and check out this explosion of student population in Barber's Hill everyone keeps talking about.

Here the numbers from last year's AEIS.

K -214
    1st 233
    2nd 237
    3rd 222
    4th 219
    5th 244
    6th 284
    7th 231
    8th 245
    9th 227
    10th 227
    11th 201 (this year's seniors)
    12th 158

The current alignment had them listed as 826.

Any route, take away the 201 (since they are this years 12th grades) and add the 231 (this years 7th graders) and that 30 neat student gain isn't that big of a deal. Are they growing sure. But you can barely get 1000 students at BH in the next 5 years by looking at that. Probably will keep inching upward, but 1500 I don't think so!

All-American

The numbers of students in each class has nothing to do with the demographics being presented. Think in terms of the number of slabs being poured each day within the school district area. There are 4 mega-housing additions being built and more in the planning stage. It's not just the growth along Hwy 146 where some of these home construction projects are being added, it's all over the District....

AggieJohn

good job bh, way to represent the district

eagle.eyes

Old Card, you've said the same crap for over a year although you have been corrected. 1st, Hwy. 146 you keep talking about is not in the BH school district. Every single house you see is in the Baytown school district. 2nd, I don't know where you keep seeing 1300 numbers, we're at about 925. Next alignment will be close depending on if the UIL moves the numbers up. To make a long story short, Huper is right, you my friend are not even in the ballpark.

All-American

I got my info from a person in the building trade in BH--I believe him.

BHKrystal06

Originally posted by Hupernikomen
    Surely Shepperd must have some select team players to beat the likes of Barbers Hill

And there is no way in the world that BH is anywhere near 1300 students for next year. That would put the incoming freshman class at well over 600 students and I know better than that.
    Old Card, I believe you...I get my info from the board as well as the teachers...

Around 600 sounds about right for next year's freshmen...