Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default Question? Could Gainesville even compete in SE Texas?

Just like last year Kieth 7 comes on here and proclaims Gainesville will win it all! Now that is Ok; however here is how I see it---Gainesville would come in 3rd behind Huffman-Hargraves and Barbers Hill. In 24 AAA Bridge City and WO-S would really wallop Gainesville and Anahuac would give them a pretty good game. Now Kirbyville, Silsbee and the third team in District this year Jasper would all just stomp Gainesville and they would not make the playoffs from that District. Now Snyder, Marlin, Palestine, Cuero, Liberty Hill, and Sinton for starters would also out score them.
    I guess its OK every year to hussle the top spot early on but the stats just don't hold up to the DWF hussle up there. LOL LOL

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

you know your shouldn't drink and post, it makes you look like a fool. i think gainesville was the only undefeated team 2 years ago and went further in the playoffs last year than WOS. gainesville would treat bridge city like they do whitesboro. what has bridge city won lately??

All-American

WO-S had a very good team--it was just that Huffman-Hargraves was also very good. Gainesville was not competing with teams like the ones mentioned. BC will be loaded and poised--they pushed WO-S into overtime and beat Kirbyville handily who demolished Jasper in regular season--all with a very young team. You bet they(with a year more of age) and all the others mentioned could take Gainesville and their weak geographical area too...LOL

Old Cardinal....Following is a listing of 2004 State UIL Football Champs for each Classification:

5A- D1- Tyler Lee
    D2- Southlake Carroll

4A-D1- Ennis
    D2- Kilgore

3A-D1- Abilene Wylie
    D2- Gilmer

2A-D1- Boyd
    D2- Crawford

1A- D1- Richland Springs
    D2-Shiner

How many SE Texas teams are among them? I'm not trying to provoke you, but ask you if you seriously think that most SE Texas football teams are truly superior to the rest of the state. If so, why?

Originally posted by Old Cardinal
    WO-S had a very good team--it was just that Huffman-Hargraves was also very good. Gainesville was not competing with teams like the ones mentioned. BC will be loaded and poised--they pushed WO-S into overtime and beat Kirbyville handily who demolished Jasper in regular season--all with a very young team. You bet they(with a year more of age) and all the others mentioned could take Gainesville and their weak geographical area too...LOL
    whatever, you were wrong on your picks last year, and will be wrong again this year. keep trying though, even a blind squirrel can find a nut ever now and then.

All-American

I think SE TX is just one of the stronger 3A areas of the state--and Gainesville is not an automatic #1 pick each year. I don't think they can compete down here and several other places and that is why I challenged this yearly top-team proclaimation from out of DWF.

I think SE TX is just one of the stronger 3A areas of the state--and Gainesville is not an automatic #1 pick each year. I don't think they can compete down here and several other places and that is why I challenged this yearly top-team proclaimation from out of DWF.
    go back and and show us where gainesville is picked in the top 10 every year. just some info for you. in the history of gainesville high school, we have never been rated #1 in an ap poll. NEVER. sounds like you just have some sour grapes down there.

Default Re: Question? Could Gainesville even compete in SE Texas?

Just like last year Kieth 7 comes on here and proclaims Gainesville will win it all! Now that is Ok; however here is how I see it---Gainesville would come in 3rd behind Huffman-Hargraves and Barbers Hill. In 24 AAA Bridge City and WO-S would really wallop Gainesville and Anahuac would give them a pretty good game. Now Kirbyville, Silsbee and the third team in District this year Jasper would all just stomp Gainesville and they would not make the playoffs from that District. Now Snyder, Marlin, Palestine, Cuero, Liberty Hill, and Sinton for starters would also out score them.
    I guess its OK every year to hussle the top spot early on but the stats just don't hold up to the DWF hussle up there. LOL LOL
    Now..i think that we (Jasper) could beat them. But the chances of all those teams beating gainsville....are not very good. Gainsville has a good program. Also, it seems you like bringing up the 'third place in district' thing. Oh well. But you just gotta quit starting these...so and so could whoop so and so.

And btw...its not good to breathe paint thinner.

I Praise God For Every Second He Gave Me To Wear The Name Jasper Across My Chest

The funny thing about the top teams, no matter what area they're from, is that they could compete with anyone in the state. Sinton and Port Isabel are from the weakest football area in the state, but I doubt that there's a 3A SE Texas OR a D/FW team that would just roll over either team (at least not on their best days). If you're looking at the real top teams in the state, they're so closely matched that it's hard to say one would win by a landslide.

A perfect example was the Orange Bowl. It was a blowout, but it wasn't a game of two unequal teams. If USC and OU played a best-of-three series, I doubt the Sooners would make all those first half mistakes that snowballed on them in the second or third games. USC won a game on momentum.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

BC will be loaded and poised--they pushed WO-S into overtime and beat Kirbyville handily who demolished Jasper in regular season--all with a very young team.
    Yet you leave out that we made a mockery of yall.

I Praise God For Every Second He Gave Me To Wear The Name Jasper Across My Chest

All-American

This thread is about posters always proclaiming Gainesville #1--no more no less...I looked in my Rand McNally and Gainesville is city of 15,175. They should be crowding 5A by now. I asked someone from up there--what goes? and he said they move students to alternative programs until the reach the point they can slip down into 3A ratings.
    If I were a parent of a child that was shifted around so that the large school could slip into 3A, I think I would be quite miffed LOL
    Once again, I think this state has a lot of teams that are better than Gainesville and the hard-push #1 rating hustle is something that is a little ludricus last year and again this year.

The only general rule-of-thumb that I know to predict which teams will be strong this season, is to take a look at the teams that went deep into the playoffs last season and see how many seniors they are losing this season. A young, deep playoff team with a high % of returning lettermen is a pretty good indicator that such a team will be high in the pre-season rankings and should have a great year.

*** Ejected Player ***

This thread is about posters always proclaiming Gainesville #1--no more no less...I looked in my Rand McNally and Gainesville is city of 15,175. They should be crowding 5A by now. I asked someone from up there--what goes? and he said they move students to alternative programs until the reach the point they can slip down into 3A ratings.
    If I were a parent of a child that was shifted around so that the large school could slip into 3A, I think I would be quite miffed LOL
    Once again, I think this state has a lot of teams that are better than Gainesville and the hard-push #1 rating hustle is something that is a little ludricus last year and again this year.
    Gainesville has two High schools.

...I looked in my Rand McNally and Gainesville is city of 15,175. They should be crowding 5A by now...
    So why shouldn't they be #1 again?
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

All-American

To Big Daddy Russ: I totally agree with you. That is why I listed good teams across TXs that could well be rated #1 instead of Gainesville every year. Sinton should definately be in the hunt!

To the Jasper poster--I am a little confused Jasper beat BC 35-10. Jasper had a couple of dozen Seniors and BC had less than a handful. I thought that too was a good enough showing. I think our bunch can compete now that WO-S and Jasper graduated so heavy.