Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's the fastest 40 you've ever heard of??? Read this article.

Interesting article I picked up from the texashsfootball.com message board.

We had one guy in Ingleside my junior year who ran a hand-timed 4.3. Darrell Green supposedly ran a sub-4.1. Joey Galloway and Deion Sanders have both run in the 4.1's. Again, supposedly. Now read the article and tell me how many kids on your HS team can really run a 4.7 forty. For that matter, how many college... or even NFL players... can really run a 4.7? Makes you think.

San Diego Union-Tribune Story
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

All-American

People have been arguing about the basic point of the article on here for quite some time. It's all about how you time someone!

I'm still not sure why so many football people are concerned with 40 times. The 40 isn't practically incorporated into the game, so I think too much is made of the times.
    Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    kep is always 100% serious. He doesn't joke and doesn't like people who do.

spiveyrat

Originally posted by kepdawg

I'm still not sure why so many football people are concerned with 40 times. The 40 isn't practically incorporated into the game, so I think too much is made of the times.
    You have to have some manner of talking about speed, and the 40 has evolved into the standard for speed rating.

All-State

Production on the field in game conditions is the only way to measure the man. Look at the Steve Largents and the Raymond Berrys of the football world. If 40 yard timing was the only way to get into pro football, those two wouldn't have ever suited up!

Scouts must have some method of comparison and the 40 gets the nod. Guess that's better than flipping quarters!
    Last edited by Old Dog; 04-20-2005 at 08:29 AM.

I heard someone tell the story about Deion running a 4.2 at the combine.

They said he was chillin' and when his name was called, he jumped up with his sweat pants still on and ran a 4.2. When he heard his time, he waved up to all the NFL people in the stands and said, "See you at the draft." He then walked to the locker room and didn't perform another drill.

BTEXDAD

thanks for the article. I've always been leery of some of the times that come up, but never had any real reason to doubt it, I guess.

I heard Bo Jackson ran a 3.9 forty at a combine while he was sick with the flu, gotten in a car wreck that day, had a broken ankle, his dog died that day, and he was drunk..

now thats what i call impressive

All-State

well, our football team went 9-1 this year and got beat by Cuero in the first round... and there was nobody faster than 4.6 on the entire team....

so IMO 40 times are somewhat overrated.

Rockdale Tiger

Somewhat they are, people can have field speed, and some don't. The 40 is about quick burst speed which is used a lot in football.

*** Ejected Player ***

I run a 5.23 40

Rockdale Tiger

lol....last time we ran i ran a 4.56

rhino33

i agree, the 40 is over rated but it is still fun to time it IMO...
    my 40 was a 4.86 when we last ran it (hand timed)

All-American

The fastest 40 m I have seen was last years 100m State Champion--Michael Gauthier who now is setting records for Lamar University. Mike is a short-legged little fellow and he always leads at the 40m point, just enough to not let the long-legged runners catch him. He is a champion wakeboarder and has built those legs by setting vertical height impressive jumps via a good wake board.

All-American

I was a QB in school....Senior yr 4.7 Freshman yr college 4.6 FAT

Letterman

The fastest 40 time ever was at the NFL combine but it wasn't Deion Sanders or Darrel Green. It was Reynaldo Neheimia of the San Francisco 49ers with a time of 4.079.