View Poll Results: Who will win the 3rd place spot?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wharton

12 38.71%
  • Sweeny

19 61.29%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    bmbf_06

Default 25-AAA Softball...3rd place

These two play for third place on Friday.....

Starter

It should be a great game by two very good teams. It's a shame that one of these teams will not make the playoffs.
    AMC Lady Tigers -- Back to Back 12-AAAAA Champions!
    Regional Semi-finalists (28-11)

GOFOR2

Default Re: 25-AAA Softball...3rd place

Originally posted by bmbf_06
    These two play for third place on Friday.....
    have to go with who is hot and full of confidence.
    Wharton got swept by WC and Needville and is a worthy opponent, but Sweeny just had a heck of a game and seems to be peaking at the right time.

bmbf_06

oh by the way, congrats on that win handicap!!!!

Starter

Thanks! We played very well last Friday and will have to play even better to win against a very good Wharton team. Both teams will be well prepared for a great game.

bmbf_06

Originally posted by 18handicap
    Thanks! We played very well last Friday and will have to play even better to win against a very good Wharton team. Both teams will be well prepared for a great game.
    im sure both teams are ready......im almost sure this will be a great game!!

g$$

Default Sweeny

I am going with Sweeny. I always like the confident team coming off a huge win. But the game is in Wharton & it should be a playoff atmosphere. I hope to make it for both softball & baseball that night. Are the times split so people can see both? Help me here 18 Handicap....

RiverRatDad

Default Start times

G$$ - softball @ 7pm, baseball @ 8. This should be a great game, with two well coached programs in the unfamiliar position of fighting for the third playoff spot. Wharton won in Sweeny, with the Lady Bulldog pitcher missing the strike zone and the Lady Tigers showing patience. The Wharton pitcher has pitched well all year, and now her bat is getting even hotter. She hit a homerun at Sweeny that changed zip codes twice. If the Sweeny pitcher throws strikes this could be a short season for the Lady Tigers. However, if the Wharton women play good defence they will send the Sweeny girls home with a short season.
    GO LADY TIGERS!!

registered

I know 18 will have the Lady Bulldogs ready to play on Friday night.

g$$

Default thanks

Thanks for the times & update RiverRatDad. That is why you play the game right? It should be fun with lots riding on the outcome. Same with baseball fighting for 2nd place. Both teams should have their aces rested for this one. I look forward to good, clean games. Keep the rain away.

Starter

The Wharton paper wrote an excellent article previewing the game.

Lady Tigers host Sweeny in big 25-3A game

-
    Only three District 25-3A softball teams will make the playoffs and Wharton hopes to be one of them.

But the Lady Tigers must beat Sweeny Friday night at Sydney Johnston field to secure the third and final spot.

Both teams are 5-4. Wharton beat the Lady Bulldogs 8-1 in their first meeting in Sweeny back on April 2.

“We beat them last time and I don’t think that there’s a reason why we can’t beat them this time,” said Orsag.

Wharton beat Stafford 9-3 last Friday and Sweeny upset now second place Columbia 9-0.

The Lady Tigers lost to the Lady Necks twice to leave the two teams in the tie.
    It’s no surprise that the two teams are playing for the final playoff spot as both coaches felt at the beginning of the season that one of the top four teams would be left out.

“I thought there was a good chance but I was hoping it wasn’t,” said Wharton coach Orsag.

Sweeny coach Billy Hicks isn’t that surprised.

“We were all put together by the luck of the draw and it happens to be us two on Friday night,” said Hicks.

“Our girls are very hungry,” said Hicks. “They are very resiliant. They never quit and play hard and don’t want to see their season end on Friday.”

League-leading Needville, who beat Palacios 14-0, improved to 8-1 and visits the winless Lady Spartans.

Columbia, who is 7-1, hosts Palacios, who is 2-7.

Hicks believes his team will have some momentum from the win over Columbia.

“I would hope it will carry over,” said Hicks. “That was a big victory for us. We were finally able to catch some breaks in that game."

There were no games scheduled Tuesday because of statewide school testing.

“I think it’s good because we can rest up and refocus,” said Hicks.

Hicks admitted that his team didn’t play real well when they played Wharton the first time.
    “Wharton made a lot of things happen,” said Hicks.

“They hit the ball real well and their pitcher kept us off balance Friday night.”

Alicia Bonner will pitch for Sweeny and Orsag will go with Casey Matzke or Sara Jordan.

Of course there will be pressure on both teams.

“Wharton knows what’s at stake and they have the experience and know what it takes,” said Hicks.

“There’s going to be a lot of pressure on both teams. There’s going to be a big crowd. I’m going to tell my team to let me handle the pressure and they play the game.”

GOFOR2

“We beat them last time and I don’t think that there’s a reason why we can’t beat them this time,” said Orsag.

Wow!!!!
    Someone has bulletin board material.

i guess a coach should say???

well we won last time and so think that we will lose.....but we might win if we are lucky.

i dont think that it is poster board material or that this late in the year that either team should need it.

GOFOR2

Originally posted by raider red 2000
    i guess a coach should say???

well we won last time and so think that we will lose.....but we might win if we are lucky.

i dont think that it is poster board material or that this late in the year that either team should need it.
    sometimes the best response is no response.
    there is no need to give anyone any more fuel.
    regardless of what you may think, that is still pretty arrogant.

mojoman

Congrats to the Lady Dawgs for beating Columbia. Whichever team wins, good luck in the playoffs and represent the district well. It kills me to say this, but good luck to both needville and columbia as well. congrats to needville for the didtrict championship.