View Poll Results: Has rap caused unfair stereotypes?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 30.00%
  • No

4 20.00%
  • It has caused some

10 50.00%

Default Follow up question on my project

Do you feel that rap music has led to unfair stereotypes of people, in particular those stereotypes associated with African Americans? Please elaborate as much as you like, and you may put in your opinion concerning any type of stereotypes associated with other kinds of music.

LET'S KICK SHELL
    COWABUNGA

F.A.N.T.O.M. Physician and Speech Writer

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

The origins of rap music has followed life through the ghettos and urban areas of America. It is assumed, in my opinion, that almost all of the artists of Hip Hop/Rap Music are drug dealers, pimps, use drugs, kill people, and use/own guns/. Some portray this type of lifestyle in their music, but that does not necessarily mean that all lived it.

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

Bandera YaYa

I answered "some".....I do not think that all rappers are gangsters or degrade women or do drugs....but it's what they are talking about and what the videos show....you tell me?

What does the vast majority of rap "glorify"?

A lifestyle that any self respecting parent would hate for their kids to embrace.

Does that make it bad? Well... um... it has some redeeming qualities... like... um...

just my humble .02 folks,
    slpybear

Bulls, Bevo, 'Boys, & BOSOX

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

I answered some, but don't necessarily think the stereotype is limited to African Americans. The lyrics of many rap "songs" portray a lifestyle of violence, drugs and other things that most of us find to be unacceptable.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Default Re: Follow up question on my project

Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
    Do you feel that rap music has led to unfair stereotypes of people, in particular those stereotypes associated with African Americans? Please elaborate as much as you like, and you may put in your opinion concerning any type of stereotypes associated with other kinds of music.
    Can't help you with this one publicly, Dre. Any mention or discussion of race in an open forum is much like bringing up politics---or mentioning race in sports broadcasting--IMO,it is best left alone because of the potential for misinterpretation of the author's intent.

I said 'some' as well...

do not care to elaborate because that would cause a lot of thinking... ha

Originally posted by Gobbla2001
    I said 'some' as well...

do not care to elaborate because that would cause a lot of thinking... ha
    You haven't got a gun, Gobbla, but you "kill" me.....

Passages-Malibu recovering from a HS football addiction

I believe that it has created some unfair stereotypes in our society. I feel this way because I catch myself thinking, "Look at that Thug.", as I walk through the mall. I don't know that kid and have no knowledge that he is a thug it is just the first thing that pops into my mind. I don't classify by race though. White, Black, Asian, Hispanic; makes no nevermind to me they all look thugy if they dress that way. But here is the real deal, those kids know what they look like and they know what kind of a reaction that dressing like that will bring. It does not stop them though. Why, because they want the attention. It doesn't matter that the attention is negative, all that matters is that they get the attention. A wise man once told me to dress for the job that I want to have and not the job that I do have. Same goes for the youth of America, don't dress for the hood if you want to end up on Park Avenue. I know that the clothes do not make the man, but they sure go a long way towards garnering the right kind of attention and gaining the respect of those around you.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. El Presidente
    AKA "El Guapo"
    The greatest dirt waterer to ever live!
    Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - Thanks for that one 44!

If yall dont want to address this publicly but would like to contribute, yall can PM me, but its still all good if you wish not to comment

LET'S KICK SHELL
    COWABUNGA

F.A.N.T.O.M. Physician and Speech Writer

AggieJohn

country music has caused about the about as much as rap

*** Ejected Player ***

amen AJ. . . when I was in D.C. this past sept. I met a kid from N.Y. . . he asked me if we rode horses everywhere. . . DANG I LOVE BEING A TEXAN

Rockdale Tiger

White boys can't rap...except for Marshall Mathers

music in general causes stereotypes....there are lots of kids that follow/idolize artists (so called).

there are many people that think that it is cool to be a wanna be thug or a wanna be red neck. it seems to me the ones that do it the most would not have a clue how to act or react if faced with adversity.

stick some wanna be in the ghetto in the 5th ward or south oak cliff and these kids would panic.....few people in the ghetto ride on 20's.

these wanna be red necks rebel flags would not really wanna live in a trailor and be looked down upon.

young people have no clue about reality.

glorifying being broke is stupid.....and kids buy it up.