Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a Town!

All-American

Default What a Town!

I am talking about Windthorst, Texas home of the mighty 1A Windthorst Trogans. A remarkable record indeed in several sports. Please bear in mind that at last enrollment figures this school is a small 1A school with an enrollment of 123 students and is the second smallest school in its' district.

Remember 1A football does not have divisions like the other larger classifications.

In volleyball they have won 10 State Championships the following years: 1992 - 94, 1997 - 2002, & 2004 (They were runner ups in 2003

2 State football championships in 1996 and 2003

1 State championship in softball 2004

A remarkable record for a small school indeed which is a small school in it's own classification.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

tmac

that is good, but no basketball state champs,guess you cant win in everything.unless your everman-0'3football and basketball 3a champs

pirate44

the championships are impressive, im more impressed by how they get 75% of their students playing f, jv, v volleyball and jv, v football. thats how many i counted on their team photos on their website. im sure they have more athletes in the other sports. i wonder if theres another school in the state with that many students (percentage wise) participating in athletics

All-American

Pirate the 2000 US Census had the town population at 440. It is a town made mostly of German decendant Catholics. The main industry is dairy farming so I am sure they get some rural students there too. The Texas Almanax says that it is about 83 percent white, 14 percent Pacific Islanders. About 23.4 % are Hispanics. The tallest building is the Catholic Church (the only church in town) and it is a beautiful church and sits on top of a hill at the highest point in the county. I think the school is right by it if memory serves me right. I passed through it twice on the way to and from Wichita Falls whereI went to a conference. If I ever go through it again I plan to stop a little while there. It is located on Hwy 281 about 25 miles south of Wichita Falls. It is also located about 10 miles east of Archer City which has had some success in sports also and is the home of the arthor McMurphy (I don't remember his first name) who wrote the book The Last Picture Show which was made into a successful movie in the early 70s. Holiday is about 25 miles from it and they have had some success in sports there too. I think their baseball teams have made the state finals a few times but I don't think they won the state championship.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

Manck

James McMurtry. He actually wrote Texasville which is the book that The Last Picture Show was based off of, or was the sequel to or something.

Gotcha on that one.

You can get a good Cheddar Wurst at the old General Store in Windthorst!!

All-American

Thanks for the corrections Manck! Keep me straight here. Thanks for the information Gs. I will look for that when I pass through it again if I get to.

Phil C Cares!

Originally posted by Phil C
    The Texas Almanax says that it is about 83 percent white, 14 percent Pacific Islanders. About 23.4 % are Hispanics.
    You sure about that Phil?
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

pirate44

Originally posted by big daddy russ
    i think the UIL better look into that school. no wonder they win so much theyre playing with 120.4% people.

All-American

Originally posted by big daddy russ
    My mistake. It was the Wikepedia free encylopedia. The information is what they give. I think what they mean is that 23.4% of the white population is Hispanic. But I presented as they showed it.

Phil C Cares!

All-American

The main industries are farming, dairying and oil. Windthorst is knowned locally as the Dairy Capital of North Texas.

Phil C Cares!

pirate44

Originally posted by Phil C
    The main industries are farming, dairying and oil. Windthorst is knowned locally as the Dairy Capital of North Texas.
    knowing them they probably use 137% cows. cheaters

All-American

Originally posted by pirate44

Phil C Cares!

Originally posted by pirate44
    LOL.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

All-American

Originally posted by Manck
    James McMurtry. He actually wrote Texasville which is the book that The Last Picture Show was based off of, or was the sequel to or something.

Gotcha on that one.
    It is actually the second book of a trilogy. The Last Picture Show, Texasville, and Duane's Depressed. He also wrote Lonesome Dove, Return to Lonesome Dove, and numerous others. He is one of my favorite authors. The Texasville trilogy is one of my favorites. Its about life in a small "oil' town. You should check it out.
    "Those who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither..." Ben Franklin