pirate44

Default Astros slugger Berkman may play for Hooks

Astros slugger Berkman may play for Hooks
    By Greg Rajan Caller-Times
    April 6, 2005

Hooks fans might not have to wait long to see the first major-leaguer at Whataburger Field.

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura said Tuesday that star outfielder Lance Berkman rehabilitating a knee injury in Corpus Christi was "a likely scenario," but wouldn't confirm it.

Berkman tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during a church flag-football game in early November. He underwent surgery on Nov. 12.

The earliest Berkman can begin a minor-league rehab assignment is five months from the surgery date. The Astros' Class AAA affiliate in Round Rock has a homestand against Iowa through April 14 before leaving for an eight-game road trip. The Hooks have a series in Frisco from April 12-16 before their home opener on April 17.

"If his knee permits him, the earliest he would start on a rehab assignment would be April 12, and he would play two or three games in Round Rock, and then it would be a likely situation to send him to Frisco to play with Corpus and then possibly in Corpus," Purpura said.

"Nothing is definite because it all depends on the player's health. It's a likely scenario he'll play in Corpus at some point, but I can't tell you when because I don't know when."

pirate44

now to find tickets. they go so fast and i dont feel like watching a game from a grassy berm.

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

Originally posted by pirate44
    now to find tickets. they go so fast and i dont feel like watching a game from a grassy berm.
    what about a grassy knoll

pirate44

Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
    what about a grassy knoll
    the grassy knoll is so far away id need my scope...errr...i mean binoculars to see the game.

onfirebball05mustang

the grassy knoll is so far away id need my scope...errr...i mean binoculars to see the game.
    lol i better get tickets too...just which team- rr or cc? hmm

pirate44

Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
    lol i better get tickets too...just which team- rr or cc? hmm
    ya cant go wrong with either. but the CC game, you get to see the bay while watching the game

onfirebball05mustang

ya cant go wrong with either. but the CC game, you get to see the bay while watching the game
    Niiice....and i haven't been down there in a LONG time. Is there still a Floyd's out there?

pirate44

Niiice....and i haven't been down there in a LONG time. Is there still a Floyd's out there?
    i think the one in Corpus may have gone out of business. theres is one in ingleside though.

onfirebball05mustang

i think the one in Corpus may have gone out of business. theres is one in ingleside though.
    bummer, and yet great to know! I plan on sending my parents there for their 25th next year...They plan on going to Baffin Bay for a fishing trip, and they've been talking about Floyd's nonstop lol

pirate44

bummer, and yet great to know! I plan on sending my parents there for their 25th next year...They plan on going to Baffin Bay for a fishing trip, and they've been talking about Floyd's nonstop lol
    the one in ingleside offers chicken fried steak with chili and cheese on top

All-American

Good news indeed! Welcome to Corpus Mr. Berkman!

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

pirate44

Originally posted by Phil C
    Good news indeed! Welcome to Corpus Mr. Berkman!
    we've got an extra room. he can stay at our house if he likes. and all i want in return is a few autographs

onfirebball05mustang

we've got an extra room. he can stay at our house if he likes. and all i want in return is a few autographs
    You'll have to send one up here...my mom LOVES HIM! lol

cfs with chili 'n' cheese i'm hungry now!

When I first saw this I was thinking of the town Hooks

pirate44

Originally posted by mwynn05
    When I first saw this I was thinking of the town Hooks
    it is kind of a cheesy name, but Nolan Ryan did come up with it since he's a bigtime fisherman. the joke around town was the name of their cheerleaders "The Hookers"