Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Green Ranger

Default School to start Sept 6th

Just told that school is probably going to start Sept 6th under the new House Bill 2 draft. It can be found at www.fortworthisd.org then click on HB2 Draft on the middle of the page. Under this draft we will start Sept 6th, have one week for Christmas and end June 6th.

When I was in school, (ya know, back in the old days) we always started after Labor Day. I don't remember us ever going into June for the last days of school.

Do the kids just go to school more days a year now than they used to??

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

i thought that i heard somewhere that a school could petition to start earlier. anyone else hear this??

pirate44

Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    When I was in school, (ya know, back in the old days) we always started after Labor Day. I don't remember us ever going into June for the last days of school.

my days too.

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

When I was in school, (ya know, back in the old days)
    i'm just proud that you can remember that far back

ours started after labor day and ended at the end of may also.

Green Ranger

Yes they can petition, but that is looking doubtful, especially in Texas the three hottest weeks one could say would be late july and August. Only thing I think that needs to be worked out is how UIL will handle the football schedule. As it is now you are not suppose to play prior to school starting. If that is the case, probably UIL will go back to two teams in the play-offs as well as maybe no off weeks. Curios to see what comes of it.

Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
    i'm just proud that you can remember that far back

ours started after labor day and ended at the end of may also.

HA HA HA!

We know I at least remember back to 2nd grade anyway.

Heck, I'm only 25 and I can remember starting school in September every year until like 5th or 6th grade. The school year just kept getting longer after that and when I graduated back in 98 we were starting in the middle of August and not getting out until late May.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

I remember my birthday (8/27) always being a day or two after school started, but I have no recollection when we got out.

Schools are now required to have 180 days in session. A few years ago, the option existed to have students a minimum of 175 days, and counting 5 teacher in-service days as the remainder. I don't know if that option has changed statewide, but do know that our school stopped taking the option 2 or 3 years ago.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-American

I'm showing my age but back in my day it didn't start until September 1st and we got out about May 25th each year. Talk about a great summer vacation. We didn't even think of school till about August 1st when stores had back to school sales. Of course registration was in the latter part of August though.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

JasperDog94

In the late 80's and early 90's the number of days in schools increased.....a lot. Now, students are in school 177 days and teachers work 187 days. That's the problem. The legislature kept increasing the days students were in school. You have to either add those days to the start of school or the end. Heaven forbid that we reduce the amount of time that students are in school.

whats crazy is this. If school starts Sept. 6 and the school has a Zero week game then two games will have been played before school starts. WOW

Originally posted by Green Ranger
    Yes they can petition, but that is looking doubtful, especially in Texas the three hottest weeks one could say would be late july and August. Only thing I think that needs to be worked out is how UIL will handle the football schedule. As it is now you are not suppose to play prior to school starting. If that is the case, probably UIL will go back to two teams in the play-offs as well as maybe no off weeks. Curios to see what comes of it.
    I highly doubt the UIL would og back to 2 playoff teams considering 5a just added a 4th team.

JasperDog94

Originally posted by mwynn05
    I highly doubt the UIL would og back to 2 playoff teams considering 5a just added a 4th team.
    I agree. That's not gonna happen.

Green Ranger

They are going to have to do something. If they bend the rule this year, there are not suppose to be any games/scrimmages prior to first day of school. Now throw in Sept 6th, schools that go far enough into the play-offs will be playing through Christmas. Be in drop the number of teams that make the play-offs or cutting preseason games, teams look like they might be playing in January.