Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default Beach Brawl @ South Padre Island

By Sergio Chapa
    THE BROWNSVILLE HERALD
    Thursday, March 17, 2005

BROWNSVILLE -- Law enforcement officials said Wednesday that they are working to identify suspects in Tuesday's beach brawl on South Padre Island.

Five people were hospitalized after what reportedly began as a spring break fistfight snowballed to a fight involving more than a hundred people near the Radisson Resort, near the southern end of the island.

The cause of the 5:30 p.m. melee remained unknown Wednesday, but witnesses told The Brownsville Herald on Tuesday that it could have been caused by the destruction of a religious sand sculpture or sparked by rivalries between schools.

Some witnesses said the brawl was mostly between students from the University of Texas and Oklahoma University. Others said it was between UT and Texas A&M students, and some witnesses said the brawl involved Baylor University students.

"It started out as your basic college chant and turned into a large amorphous mass," an unidentifiedUT student who witnessed the brawl was quoted as saying in Tuesday's Herald. "They were throwing chairs, ice chests and bottles."

Some witnesses said the brawl was started by people who intentionally walked on a sand sculpture of Jesus, but others said the work of art was a casualty of the violence.

"It just made it worse," an unidentified A&M student said of the destruction of the sand sculpture.

South Padre Island Police Chief Robert Rodriguez said investigators are particularly interested in finding the instigators to what they claim was a small scrap, despite witness reports to the contrary.

No arrests had been made as of Wednesday, Rodriguez said. Police are asking witnesses who have pictures or video images of the incident to come forward.

Rodriguez said that security on the island is adequate and that law and order will be maintained. Police, he said, were able to gain control the scene quickly.

Beach Brawl

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Default Re: Beach Brawl @ South Padre Island

Originally posted by ILS1
    By Sergio Chapa
    THE BROWNSVILLE HERALD
    Thursday, March 17, 2005

BROWNSVILLE -- spring break fistfight snowballed to a fight involving more than a hundred people near the Radisson Resort, near the southern end of the island.

investigators claim was a small scrap

100 people is a small scrap? I wonder what they consider to be a huge brawl?
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Default Re: Re: Beach Brawl @ South Padre Island

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    100 people is a small scrap? I wonder what they consider to be a huge brawl?
    You know, this is probably they "used" to release colleges at different times. They will probably go back to that way of thinking if these sorts of "scraps" continue.

If we don't see Jason post for a couple of days, we will know where he went and what happened.

Originally posted by Bullaholic
    If we don't see Jason post for a couple of days, we will know where he went and what happened.
    ROFL!!!

All-American

UT, A&M, & OU better reschedule their spring break times. Such immature behavior from supposed our future leaders. Shame on them all!!

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

All-American

I am so mad I may send my right hand man SintonFan down there to do some counseling that they won't like.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

Originally posted by Phil C
    I am so mad I may send my right hand man SintonFan down there to do some counseling that they won't like.

You're the man!

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

UT, A&M, & OU better reschedule their spring break times. Such immature behavior from supposed our future leaders. Shame on them all!!
    there were maybe 100 out of probably 10,000+ get into a little argument....get over it...

All-American

Originally posted by jason
    there were maybe 100 out of probably 10,000+ get into a little argument....get over it...
    You are right jason. I am so ashame! Even the good GodFather needs to be straightened out. Why if you put one bad apple in a large bag of good apples there is no way that apple can make them all bad! Shame on me!

Phil C Cares!

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

You are right jason. I am so ashame! Even the good GodFather needs to be straightened out. Why if you put one bad apple in a large bag of good apples there is no way that apple can make them all bad! Shame on me!

glad to be of assistance...

Hmmm, I am still thinking about that one. I personally think you had it right the first time.

Unfortunately stuff like this happens just about every Spring Break, going back to when I was in school. Of course, a fight involving 100 people is quite out of the ordinary.
    CALALLEN WILDCATS

TRADITION NEVER GRADUATES

Break + Booze + Boys + Babes + Beach = Brawl

Anybody really shocked?

All-American

Originally posted by Bullaholic
    Break + Booze + Boys + Babes + Beach = Brawl

Anybody really shocked?
    I am shocked! shocked! shocked! And Jason is right! Out of 10,000+ thiat was the action of only 100! The only question is why didn't that 10,000+ stop the fight and restrain them. It seems like that many could have handled the 100!

Phil C Cares!