Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default Looking for a dog.

Any ideas? Past experiences with different breeds and so forth. Why I should get what? So forth.
    "Those who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither..." Ben Franklin

I prefer Labs for their companionship, intelligence, and gentle disposition. Drawbacks are: large and can be destructive to property such as flowerbeds, etc.

All-American

Originally posted by Bullaholic
    I prefer Labs for their companionship, intelligence, and gentle disposition. Drawbacks are: large and can be destructive to property such as flowerbeds, etc.
    had one growing up...and loved it. we put a small electric fence around the flowerbed. seemed to cure that problem real quick.
    "Those who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither..." Ben Franklin

onfirebball05mustang

guess it's cause i've been born and raised with 'em...i find English Cocker Spaniels to be reliable and with a nice disposition....they tend to be good lil guard dogs, but other than that, good dogs

Bandera YaYa

I have had many.....my fav is my little Double Dapple Dacshund...or maybe my Minature Schnauzer....but my Rhodsian Ridgeback was adorable, unless it could be my perky Yorkie.....then there was those two border collies....they were so much fun......or still, the black and yellow labs were great.....as was the Irish Setter...but in the end, I love my Siamese cat the bestest of all!

Growning up we always had chow mixes.. they are soo cute. The only thing is.. we never knew what they were mixed with... I saw some really cute pit puppies at the mall the other day, but I dont know how you feel about pit bulls.

~Not keeping her opinion to herself since Oct. 2002~

Bulldog_12

Ive got a Great Pyranese. They are really big and make great guard dogs. They are very loyal too. Only thing is, you have to shave them during the summer so they dont over-heat. I also have a Jack Russel terrier. He is fun. Very loyal and energetic and smart.

Aww Jack Russel's are soooo cute... i might have to come dog nap your doggy!

~Not keeping her opinion to herself since Oct. 2002~

NSUTrumpet08

Jack Russel Terriers are pretty hyper and energetic...remember Robert's dog Jack Bulldog_12? But they're still pretty fun to mess around with...haha...

I think English Bulldogs are excellent dogs. Not too big, not too small, very well tempered, but also very protective. The only downside is that to get a purebred you are looking at a couple grand.

All-American

Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
    I think English Bulldogs are excellent dogs. Not too big, not too small, very well tempered, but also very protective. The only downside is that to get a purebred you are looking at a couple grand.
    thought about that, but I heard they have lots of health problems? any truth to that. and yaya I had a Ridgeback and I loved it. I am looking for something that wont rip the house apart, and can be kept inside some of the day.

I'm a "mutt" kinda gal....but the best purebred I ever owned was a Norwegian Elkhound....his name was Rambo.

He was a big, gentle giant.....GREAT with the kids, very laid back, but unfortunately he died when he was 8 of tick fever.

If I was in the search for another purebred, I would go with another Elkhound or a Golden Retriever.

Rockdale Tiger

Get a weenie dog!

La Grange

Default Re: Looking for a dog.

Originally posted by rockdale80
    Any ideas? Past experiences with different breeds and so forth. Why I should get what? So forth.
    My dads a vet. so I am around dogs a lot. If you want a dog that will live outside and just be fun to be around get a lab, but know that labs are very active dogs that like to jump and play and tear up things. A golden retriever is a great dog that is very relaxed but also loves the outdoors. We have one and it is a great hunting dog and just...dog.

If you want a nice housedog that is very funny, playful, and a good compainon get a weenie dog. We have three and they are all very nice. We have a pug and she is a handful, if you want a cool dog to get the ladies...don't get a pug.

Before you get the dog make sure you take a look at their parents. That should give you a good idea of your dogs demeanor and how well you are going to like him/her...and I would definatly suggest a her.

Rockdale....Answer these questions and I will get back to you.

1. Large breed or small
    2. Inside or outside dog
    3. Will the dog be alone or always with somebody
    4. Is your lifestyle go go go or is it more like a couch potato
    5. Do you have time to exericise dog
    6. Is your personality laid back or is it hyper
    7. Do you want a dog with long hair or short
    8. Do you want a purebred or will a mix do fine
    9. Do you have a specific use for the dog...hunting, herding etc...

Often the biggest mistake that people make is to choose a dog that does not fit their lifestyle and personality....let me know...I may be able to help!
    [img][/img]