Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ex-boyfriend Charged in Disappearance of Woman and Son

A man who police say was the ex-boyfriend of a missing Texas woman is now charged with capital murder.

Police still haven't found Lisa Underwood or her seven-year-old son -- but they say the information they've received makes them believe that the two are dead. A police lieutenant says authorities are continuing an "aggressive search" for them.

Underwood, who was pregnant, failed to show up for her baby
    shower on Saturday. A pool of blood was found at her home, and her
    SUV was found yesterday in a creek.

Stephen Barbee of Fort Worth was arrested overnight in Tyler, and was later turned over to Fort Worth police.

Police say they don't know whether Barbee was the father of Underwood's unborn child.

~Not keeping her opinion to herself since Oct. 2002~

Oh no!! That is terrible news!

Associated Press
    Lisa Underwood

Associated Press
    Jayden Underwood

DENTON -- The ex-boyfriend of a missing pregnant woman has been arrested and charged with capital murder in the case of the woman and her 7-year-old son, police said today.

Bagel shop owner Lisa Underwood and her son, Jayden, have not been accounted for since she failed to show up at her baby shower Saturday. A pool of blood was found in her home but no sign of forced entry.

Fort Worth police Lt. Gene Jones said today that authorities believe the family is dead.

"We are continuing our very aggressive search to locate them," he said.

Stephen Barbee, 37, of Fort Worth was arrested Monday night in Tyler and initially held in the Smith County Jail in Tyler with bail set at $2 million. He was later turned over to Fort Worth police, who were taking him back to Tarrant County early Tuesday.

Jones said he didn't know why Barbee was in Tyler, how investigators knew to find him there or whether there were other suspects.

"We haven't established a motive, so I can't speak to that," Jones said.

He also didn't know any details about the father of the unborn child was.

"We don't know who the father of the unborn child is," he said. "We know that at one time Mr. Barbee and Ms. Underwood were romantically involved. We don't know what the latest status of that relationship was."

On Monday, after a nationwide Amber Alert, Underwood's abandoned sport utility vehicle was found in a rural creek near Denton.

Police acting on an anonymous tip searched a Fort Worth home overnight and found an item referred to by the tipster, but declined to say what it was or how it figured in their investigation.

Officers on horseback and using dogs concentrated the search in a rural area of Denton, about 30 miles northeast of Fort Worth, after a landowner found the SUV partly submerged in a creek. Also Monday, investigators removed a roll of carpet from Underwood's red brick home, which remained surrounded by police tape.

Searchers continued in a separate part of Denton on Tuesday.

Underwood, 34, is not married, Jones said.

Well wishes and several notes piled up at the bagel shop where Underwood is a co-owner with Holly Pils, who said she last spoke with Underwood on Friday night.

A large brown Teddy bear was placed on a table by a window. One of the notes said, "God Bless Lisa and her two little angels."

That is from the houston chron.

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

Ft Worth police are now saying that they have found the 2 bodies. they were found just north of Ft Worth.

Bulldog_12

Yeah, Fox News just confirmed that it was the bodies of the woman and child.

That just makes me sick to my stomach!

I was still hoping and praying they would be found alive!

God bless Lisa and Jayden!!

This is very sad!

It's times like this that I am thankful for capital punishment and the fact that Texas isn't afraid to enforce it!

Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
    This is very sad!

It's times like this that I am thankful for capital punishment and the fact that Texas isn't afraid to enforce it!
    Amen sister....and I have no problem with "torture" until that time comes either!

I would like to quote Ron White.." In Texas we have the death penalty and we USE IT!!!!"

I hope this guy doesnt try any of the I was mentally ill crap... one of the articles i read said that he was the father of her unborn baby girl that was due in 2 months. just makes me sick.
    Last edited by CHS_CG; 02-22-2005 at 01:15 PM.

Starter

Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    That just makes me sick to my stomach!

I was still hoping and praying they would be found alive!

God bless Lisa and Jayden!!
    I knew both Jayden & Lisa through my in-laws. Jayden was my nephew's best friend. Jayden was a wonderful little boy. My nephew has to be told his best friend won't be coming over any more. This makes me sick!! And she was expecting a little girl.

Originally posted by ej2525
    I knew both Jayden & Lisa through my in-laws. Jayden was my nephew's best friend. Jayden was a wonderful little boy. My nephew has to be told his best friend won't be coming over any more. This makes me sick!! And she was expecting a little girl.
    I am soo sorry. This is a terrible thing. How old is ur nephew? I cant even begin to think what a hard week and weekend its been on that whole town and community.

All-State

We live in a sick, sick world don't we?

All-District

Get a rope and a tall oak tree
    Whoever is responible should swing
    The problem with Capital punishment isnt' that we use it , it is that we don't use it enough
    Hang the responsible party at dawn and let him swing til dusk as a reminder to all that Texas won't tolerate Killers
    Public Execution should be brought back
    Hanging on the Court House Square

Starter

Originally posted by CHS_CG
    I am soo sorry. This is a terrible thing. How old is ur nephew? I cant even begin to think what a hard week and weekend its been on that whole town and community.
    My nephew is also 7. He grew up basically with Jayden. He doesn't know the whole story yet. My brother-in-law told my wife "how do I tell my son what happened"?

He also said give me 5 minutes alone with him & we won't need a trial!

I'll give you 4 1/2 & I want 30 seconds for myself!!

Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
    Get a rope and a tall oak tree
    Whoever is responible should swing
    The problem with Capital punishment isnt' that we use it , it is that we don't use it enough
    Hang the responsible party at dawn and let him swing til dusk as a reminder to all that Texas won't tolerate Killers
    Public Execution should be brought back
    Hanging on the Court House Square

I agree Bubba-Jo!!

I am so sick of hearing about prisoners rights and prisoner abuse.