Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Default is duke vs north carolina basketball

the best rivalry in college sports ??

i think so

they square off tonight on espn.....

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

florida, florida state and miami are pretty big rivalries. don't forget michigan and michigan st. or michigan and ohio st.

Default Re: is duke vs north carolina basketball

Originally posted by jason
    the best rivalry in college sports ??

i think so

they square off tonight on espn.....
    Don't hold a candle to football rivalries UT-OU, UT -aTm, ND- MICH, FLA-FLA ST., LSU-Auburn, or even Army-Navy. Don't count as a sport if you can't "run" with the ball and knock somebody down legally.

pirate44

Default Re: Re: is duke vs north carolina basketball

Originally posted by Bullaholic
    Don't count as a sport if you can't "run" with the ball and knock somebody down legally.
    according to whom?

Default Re: Re: Re: is duke vs north carolina basketball

Originally posted by pirate44
    according to whom?
    That's right, P44---In Texas, all those "other" seasons are known as "non-football" season.

I'm a bigger football fan than basketball fan, a bigger ut football fan than a unc basketball fan (tar-heel hoops runs a close second), however, it IS a bigger rivalry in my eyes...

Number 1: Up until this year, they've played atleast twice every season (3 at times depending on the way the ACC tourney turns out), so you only have to wait a few weeks to get revenge if you lose...

Number 2: Two of the best programs year in year out...

Number 3: Only 12 miles apart...

plently more where those came from...

They are 'the' programs in college basketball...

In college football, there are no 'the' programs, you have atLEAST one team from EVERY confrence who is a 'the' type program, there are just too many...

In college basketball you basically have a small handfull of 'the' programs (Duke, UNC, Kansas maybe, Michigan State until Izzo leaves, Kentucky until Smith leaves and Indiana before Knight left...)...

This rivalry IS the REAL deal...

Go Tar-Heels...

pirate44

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: is duke vs north carolina basketball

That's right, P44---In Texas, all those "other" seasons are known as "non-football" season.
    you get a list of names of people in texas who agree with you and ill get a list who disagree and i'll bet mine is longer

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: is duke vs north carolina basketball

Originally posted by pirate44
    you get a list of names of people in texas who agree with you and ill get a list who disagree and i'll bet mine is longer
    How much paper and time have we got?

How much paper? Well, you'd need a lot if most of Texas and most of the posters here thought outside of football and opened up their mind to circumstances, but there's no way that would happen, I'm an unusual case...

The only REAL arguement I can think of is that football has been around longer... To YOU, UT/OU may be a bigger rivalry, it actually is to me, but only on a PERSONAL level... But when opening up my mind to other things, and looking and all situations etc..., Duke/UNC is obvious...

pirate44

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: is duke vs north carolina basketball

How much paper and time have we got?
    hehe, all id have to do is sit outside a single nascar event and jot down names and id have ya beat. and i dont even like nascar.

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

Originally posted by Gobbla2001

They are 'the' programs in college basketball...

if a program wants to be called 'the program' they need to compete for a championship each and every year. unc hasn't done that in a few years. they are on the way back up. but give them a couple of more years before you call them 'the program'.

Originally posted by Gobbla2001
    How much paper? Well, you'd need a lot if most of Texas and most of the posters here thought outside of football and opened up their mind to circumstances, but there's no way that would happen, I'm an unusual case...

The only REAL arguement I can think of is that football has been around longer... To YOU, UT/OU may be a bigger rivalry, it actually is to me, but only on a PERSONAL level... But when opening up my mind to other things, and looking and all situations etc..., Duke/UNC is obvious...
    You sure are getting serious in your old age, Gobbla. Where you been all this time---communing with the Dali Lama?

Hands down the greatest college sports rivalry takes place between those two teams seperated by that 12 mile stretch known as Tobacco Road. Duke and UNC, IMO is the greatest rivalry in college sports and the 2nd greatest rivalry in all of sports only 2nd to MLB's Red Sox and Yankees
    Last edited by TheDOCTORdre; 02-09-2005 at 06:04 PM.

LET'S KICK SHELL
    COWABUNGA

F.A.N.T.O.M. Physician and Speech Writer

Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
    if a program wants to be called 'the program' they need to compete for a championship each and every year. unc hasn't done that in a few years. they are on the way back up. but give them a couple of more years before you call them 'the program'.
    They compete for a championship every time they reach March Madness, unlike college football where you lose one game and your competition is over...

Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
    Hands down the greatest college sports rivalry takes place between those two teams that 12 mile stretch known as Tobacco Road. Duke and UNC, IMO is the greatest rivalry in college sports and the 2nd greatest rivalry in all of sports only 2nd to MLB's Red Sox and Yankees
    HINT HINT: Tabacco Road... Didn't even mention that... The road had been named Tabacco Road long before the UNC/Duke rivalry if I am not mistaken... But that's another example of while this rivalry is the greatest in college sports, we folks in Texas can tell you the road's nickname...

PLUS, Dick Vitale calls the games every year (well has every time I've watched the game), he's the numbre uno guy for espn college round-ball coverage, you don't see the tops of college football called UT/OU each year...