Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default 02-08-05 HS Basketball Results!

In a rematch of the district leaders tonight Aransas Pass beat Goliad in a close one 54 - 52 and they now tie for the district lead.
    The AP girls also won.

I don't know how Sinton did against Mathis but hopefully someone will post it later.

Thank you PPHSfan and Keith7!

It was a good game! My apologies for not posting last night, but dinner, homework, baths blah, blah, blah took priority.

Goliad really has a good team, they do however have a nasty little traveling habit that caused them some problems.

Aransas Pass will now have a non-district game this Friday against Orange Grove and finish up district competition next Tuesday in Mathis.

As we discussed yesterday, it will be interesting to see how the tie situation is played out (if we remain tied).

Default Re: 02-08-05 HS Basketball Results!

Originally posted by PhiI C
    In a rematch of the district leaders tonight Aransas Pass beat Goliad in a close one 54 - 52 and they now tie for the district lead.
    The AP girls also won.

I don't know how Sinton did against Mathis but hopefully someone will post it later.
    Girls: Mathis 89 Sinton 41 Boys: Mathis 79 Sinton 61

All-American

Default Re: Re: 02-08-05 HS Basketball Results!

Originally posted by pirate4state
    Girls: Mathis 89 Sinton 41 Boys: Mathis 79 Sinton 61
    Thank you for the update pirate. Unfortunately our girls season is over but at least some of the softball players that play basketball can start softball practice now. Our boys still actually have an outside chance to get it into a three way tie for third if they beat Ingleside Friday. Mathis still has to play Goliad I think. Ironically Mathis has to hope Sinton beats Ingleside to have a better shot in the playoffs. It might be wise for Mathis to send some fans over to cheer for Sinton. Their fate could be in Sinton's hands now. If Ingleside wins they will have the third place spot unless Mathis wins against Goliad which could happen but Goliad will be favored. Mathis best chance is for Sinton to beat Ingleside.

Right now Aransas Pass is 7 - 1 and their district season is over but they have cinched at least a tie for first place and are in the playoffs for sure. Goliad is 6 - 1 but has a final game (Friday I think) in Mathis. Goliad is also in the playoffs for sure. Ingleside is 2 - 5 with a final game this Friday in Sinton. Sinton is 1 - 6 yet still may force a playoff tournament for the third spot. Mathis is 2 - 5 also. The final district games are Goliad vs Mathis in Mathis and Ingleside vs Sinton in Sinton. Aransas Pass is finished.

If Goliad wins then Goliad and Aransas Pass are tied for first place and will probably have a playoff game to determine who gets to represent the district as district champions (This would be a first round bye for the winner). Of course they may decide by a coin flip. If Goliad loses then Goliad is second and Aransas Pass is the district champion outright.

The problem is for third place. If Ingleside wins and Mathis wins then both tie for third place with 3 - 5 records and a playoff for the third spot would happen. If Mathis wins and Ingleside loses then Mathis wins the third place spot with a 3 - 5 record over Ingleside's record at 2 - 6. If Mathis loses and Ingleside loses then then Mathis, Sinton, and Ingleside are tied with 2 - 6 records and probably a three way tournament will decide the representative for third place. It is ironic but going into the last game of the season all five teams in the district have a shot at the third playoff spot if things happen right for each of them.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

pirate44

Default Re: Re: Re: 02-08-05 HS Basketball Results!

Originally posted by Phil C
    Thank you for the update pirate. Unfortunately our girls season is over but at least some of the softball players that play basketball can start softball practice now. Our boys still actually have an outside chance to get it into a three way tie for third if they beat Ingleside Friday. Mathis still has to play Goliad I think. Ironically Mathis has to hope Sinton beats Ingleside to have a better shot in the playoffs. It might be wise for Mathis to send some fans over to cheer for Sinton. Their fate could be in Sinton's hands now. If Ingleside wins they will have the third place spot unless Mathis wins against Goliad which could happen but Goliad will be favored. Mathis best chance is for Sinton to beat Ingleside.

Right now Aransas Pass is 7 - 1 and their district season is over but they have cinched at least a tie for first place and are in the playoffs for sure. Goliad is 6 - 1 but has a final game (Friday I think) in Mathis. Goliad is also in the playoffs for sure. Ingleside is 2 - 5 with a final game this Friday in Sinton. Sinton is 1 - 6 yet still may force a playoff tournament for the third spot. Mathis is 2 - 5 also. The final district games are Goliad vs Mathis in Mathis and Ingleside vs Sinton in Sinton. Aransas Pass is finished.

If Goliad wins then Goliad and Aransas Pass are tied for first place and will probably have a playoff game to determine who gets to represent the district as district champions (This would be a first round bye for the winner). Of course they may decide by a coin flip. If Goliad loses then Goliad is second and Aransas Pass is the district champion outright.

The problem is for third place. If Ingleside wins and Mathis wins then both tie for third place with 3 - 5 records and a playoff for the third spot would happen. If Mathis wins and Ingleside loses then Mathis wins the third place spot with a 3 - 5 record over Ingleside's record at 2 - 6. If Mathis loses and Ingleside loses then then Mathis, Sinton, and Ingleside are tied with 2 - 6 records and probably a three way tournament will decide the representative for third place. It is ironic but going into the last game of the season all five teams in the district have a shot at the third playoff spot if things happen right for each of them.
    i know this may be off subject, but i am so against having 3 teams in the playoffs, especially when those teams have losing seasons. i love the Pirates, but i just cant see myself going to a playoff game featuring my team being a 3rd place playoff team. in my opinion it diminishes what the playoffs really mean.

Thanks Phil....WOW, that is really confusing. I have a question though, my schedule still shows that Aransas Pass has a district game in Mathis next Tuesday the 15th???

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 02-08-05 HS Basketball Results!

Originally posted by pirate44
    i know this may be off subject, but i am so against having 3 teams in the playoffs, especially when those teams have losing seasons. i love the Pirates, but i just cant see myself going to a playoff game featuring my team being a 3rd place playoff team. in my opinion it diminishes what the playoffs really mean.
    We faced this very situation in football ... where our fate for third depended on some very strange "so and so has got to beat so and so, by so many points".....

anyway, as you know, Goliad took 3rd and it was just as well.....we wouldn't have gone far in the playoffs.

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

did anyone read the letter to the editor in the san pat county news last week... about the girls basketball team?

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

Iowa Park beat Graham last night and Breck beat Vernon. That really throws 5-3A into a quagmire.

Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
    did anyone read the letter to the editor in the san pat county news last week... about the girls basketball team?

Aaron, do you know if they have an online version?

All-American

Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
    Thanks Phil....WOW, that is really confusing. I have a question though, my schedule still shows that Aransas Pass has a district game in Mathis next Tuesday the 15th???
    You could be right and probably are. It is so difficult to get correct and current information on boy's basketball unlike football. The Corpus Christi Caller/Times just doesn't keep it updated even though it probably isn't completely their fault. Either way there are still possibilities left.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
    Aaron, do you know if they have an online version?
    no but i have the paper right here with me, let me post it as a post in this thread

no but i have the paper right here with me, let me post it as a post in this thread
    Phil C said he would fax it to me, if you don't want to go to the trouble......

i did. talk about a "BURN!"

im typing it up right now, it will be posted shortly