Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BullFrog Dad

Default Who do you think is the all-time greatest NFL team...

...within a single season? My vote goes to the 1985 Chicago Bears. The Super Bowl champs went 18-1 with four shutouts and had ten OTHER games where they held the opposition to ten points or less.

All-American

DaBears

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

the undefeated Miami Dolphins in 72 i believe...
    Last edited by District303aPastPlayer; 02-08-2005 at 10:59 AM.

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

The 72 undefeated dolphins... Hands down... no losses therefore they are the greatest.
    Never take a blind date to a silent film

pirate44

Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
    the undefeated Miami Dolphins in 83 i believe...

I say the 94 cowboys. The total package in its prime.
    TO ALL MY LOVE SLAVES OUT THERE.. BLACK MAGIC IS HERE.. IN THE FLESH BABY!!

It depends on what you are asking:

If you are asking who had the best season, you have to go with the undefeated Dolphins.

If you are asking who would win if they were all able to play each other, there is no question the 93 Cowboys would win. They were big, powerful on offense and fast and deep on defense. There's no one that could have kept up with that team.

BullFrog Dad

Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
    The 72 undefeated dolphins... Hands down... no losses therefore they are the greatest.
    Few NFL people recognise the '72 Dolphins as the greatest all-time NFL team. They were undefeated but had to come from behind in a lot of their games. In fact they were even 1.5 point underdogs to the Redskins in the SB. The '85 Bears on the other hand pretty much dominated every game with the exception of a MNF loss to the you guessed it-Dolphins.

BullFrog Dad

Originally posted by Macarthur
    It depends on what you are asking:

If you are asking who had the best season, you have to go with the undefeated Dolphins.

If you are asking who would win if they were all able to play each other, there is no question the 93 Cowboys would win. They were big, powerful on offense and fast and deep on defense. There's no one that could have kept up with that team.
    I'm asking which team in a given season was most dominating vs. the rest of the league in that year.

The 72 undefeated dolphins

Bulldog_12

Yeah, I say the Dolphins too. Wasn't alive then, but I have seen clips of them on ESPN Classic.

The Dolphins are my favorite team, but that particular team played 12 games without their stud QB (Bob Griese). Griese was injured in the first quarter of the fourth game of the season and didn't play again until the second half of the AFC title game, so if you're comparing the teams you have to compare the Dolphins who were QB'd by the legendary (and ancient) Earl Morrall, a holdover from Don Shula's days in Baltimore. Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris, Jim Kiick, and kicker Garo Yepremian carried that offense and Morrall hardly did anything. Csonka was a classic running fullback, straight through the pipes, Morris was the speed back to the outside and Kiick was the cutback runner. I think the Dolphins were actually better in 73, with Griese under center.

I think Walter Payton alone was a better back than all the 'Fins backs put together and the Bears were better in the trenches and at the intangibles. Morrall may have been on Social Security when he led the Dolphins, but I still think that McMahon was a better leader and better under pressure because of his toughness. Plus, he could throw the ball when he had to. Comparing defensive leaders, Nick Buoniconti was good but he wasn't a Mike Singletary.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
    I'm asking which team in a given season was most dominating vs. the rest of the league in that year.
    Well then, based on that criteria, I would have to say the 85 Bears. Because of how they dominated the rest of the league that particular year. But I still believe the 93 Cowboy team would beat them by 2 TDs.

*** Ejected Player ***

i'll have to say the 94 cowboys. somewhere around 6 or 7 pro-bowlers i believe

BullFrog Dad

Originally posted by superslyguy06
    i'll have to say the 94 cowboys. somewhere around 6 or 7 pro-bowlers i believe
    '85 Bears had eight.