Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canseco desperate for attention??

I thought this was interesting, and somewhat short of believable.. but I was curious what you guys thought about it.. this story was posted on http://www.espn.com

---------------------------------------------

After months of talking about naming names in a tell-all book, retired slugger Jose Canseco is about to do just that.

The New York Daily News published details of the former slugger's book, which is still in the editing stages, in Sunday's editions.

Canseco writes that he personally injected Mark McGwire with the drug and that he saw McGwire and Jason Giambi inject each other, according to the paper.

McGwire, who has long denied steroid use, said in a statement to the paper: "I have always told the truth and I am saddened that I continue to face this line of questioning. With regard to this book, I am reserving comment until I have the chance to review its contents myself."

Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, took issue with Canseco's credibility.

"This book, which attacks baseball and many of its players, was written to make a quick buck by a guy desperate for attention, who has appeared on more police blotters then lineup cards in recent years, has no runs, no hits and is all errors," Tellem told the Daily News.

Canseco writes that President Bush "had to have been aware" of rampant steroid use on the Texas Rangers when he owned the club in the early 1990s, the Daily News reported.

Canseco also claims he introduced the performance enhancers to Rafael Palmeiro, Ivan Rodriguez, and Juan Gonzalez when he joined the Rangers in 1992.

The White House had no comment on Canseco's specific allegation, but did say the President called on leagues and players unions to eradicate steroid use in his 2004 State of the Union address.

The book is due in bookstores Feb. 21.
    Last edited by Keith7; 02-06-2005 at 03:33 PM.

You know, I think he's telling the truth but he's still a piece of work. I won't buy the book or read it. All the "juicy" stuff will be shared with the world on ESPN.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

pirate44

it just seems to me those guys didnt "bulk up" until long after he played with those guys. i may be wrong

Originally posted by big daddy russ
    You know, I think he's telling the truth but he's still a piece of work. I won't buy the book or read it. All the "juicy" stuff will be shared with the world on ESPN.
    That's right. I'll just wait to hear it too.

i think its totally believable! Im glad to hear people like Canseco speak out. Sure is entertaining.

Originally posted by pirate44
    it just seems to me those guys didnt "bulk up" until long after he played with those guys. i may be wrong
    when using steroids, its not an overnight miracle. It takes months and months of hard physical training in order to se the effects of the drug.

pirate44

Originally posted by kaorder1999
    i think its totally believable! Im glad to hear people like Canseco speak out. Sure is entertaining.
    i agree its believable, i just think Canseco may be making up details as to sell books. i just think of the fact he sold (or is selling) one of his world series rings (yankees). not to mention a few other easy money making schemes

i dont doubt hes doing this to make money. But why cant people make money telling the truth? Does everyone have to lie in order to make money?

pirate44

i dont doubt hes doing this to make money. But why cant people make money telling the truth? Does everyone have to lie in order to make money?
    not at all. he may be telling the gosh honest truth. it just seems to me that the guys he's mentioning didnt bulk up until long after he played with them. like i mentioned before, i may be wrong on that one.

also be aware that there are 100's of different kind of steroids and not all result in highly increased muscle mass. They can get much stronger but still not grow that much.

i dont want this to sound like im totally supporting Jose Canseco...if hes lying then one day he'll be judged, if hes telling the truth, then good for him. The sad part is....we will never know the truth because if these guys didnt do it then they will deny it. If they did do it, then they will deny it

pirate44

also be aware that there are 100's of different kind of steroids and not all result in highly increased muscle mass. They can get much stronger but still not grow that much.
    very true.

wouldnt a polygraph machine be fun in a major league clubhouse?

pirate44

wouldnt a polygraph machine be fun in a major league clubhouse?
    only if they would sell tickets and conduct the tests at major stadiums throughout the country. id buy season tickets.

All-American

I think he is desperate for $$$
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**