All-American

Default How to watch football from the stands!

There are many ways to get more understanding out of watching sporting events--here are just a few that work for many of us avid fans....
    FOOTBALL--
    When the team lines up on offense find the back furtherest back that is on offense on your side of the field. As the back moves with the snap in any direction proceed to look progressively forward as to where he is going. Center your eyes on the blocking and defensive collision area as he hits the hole. If you preceive that the play is going to someone else shift your focal point to the delivery of the ball. While you are watching in this manner, if the QB is back treading to pass, immediately shift your eyes to the probable receiver or then to determine how the offensive pattern is unfolding.
    Once you master this vision discipline, you automatically make visual decisions that helps you follow the flow of the ball and you get to see the blocking schemes that are being attempted to spring the runners.
    Likewise, on the shift of vision to the pass plays: once you have determined the probability of a forward pass you will get more "snap-info" by watching the patterns and defensive coverage as the defensive secondary rotates to imploy their coverage. Remember the offensive scheme employed trys to break someone free to catch the ball and that is very important to center your attention on that attempted action.
    Try this technique this evening, it will take a while to master this technique but I guarantee it beats just watchin the QB like most novice fans end up doing. I think you will get a lot more enjoyment out of a more disiciplined vision trained observation.
    Last edited by Old Cardinal; 02-06-2005 at 02:12 PM.

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

This is exactly the way my daddy taught me to watch a game. It's very good advice, OC.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Bandera YaYa

..huh???

All-American

Hey Old how about some advice on other sports such as basketball and soccer. And of course right not on Baseball and Softball since the season is about to begin.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

All-American

OK Phil, I will do one on Softball next...Give me time to condense it down to be easier reading. I think softball is the least understood of all sports....Look for a New Thread soon....

All-American

Originally posted by Old Cardinal
    OK Phil, I will do one on Softball next...Give me time to condense it down to be easier reading. I think softball is the least understood of all sports....Look for a New Thread soon....
    Looking forward to it Old!

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

setex

Old Cardinal

Very good advice on how to watch a football game.

Why can't Ms Setex get it?

pirate44

where's the part about shifting your eyes to where the cheerleaders are?

All-American

I get a kick out of watching bored parents waiting for the band to march. That's is the only reason they are there LOL
    Last edited by Old Cardinal; 02-07-2005 at 04:02 PM.