Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default Colleyville Heritage students admit using banned steroids

9 students admit to using steroids

Exclusive: Colleyville Heritage High football coach had denied athletes involved

10:31 AM CST on Friday, February 4, 2005

By GREGG JONES and GARY JACOBSON / The Dallas Morning News

COLLEYVILLE – Nine Colleyville Heritage High School students have admitted using banned steroids, one of the largest cases of confirmed steroid use at a U.S. high school, The Dallas Morning News has learned.

BRAD LOPER/DMN
    Heritage football coach Chris Cunningham had denied steroid use among his players. In response to questions submitted this week by The News, a Grapevine-Colleyville ISD spokeswoman said Thursday that eight seniors and one junior confessed to using the muscle-building drugs "for a short period of time in the spring of 2004."

The students "also provided information about an adult source who sold them steroids," Robin McClure, director of public information for the school district, said in a written response to the questions.

She said that the district is still considering whether to discipline the students and that its investigation is continuing.

A Heritage athlete interviewed by The News twice in the last four months said he bought steroids last spring from a senior starter on the school's football team. The athlete said a dozen or more football players had used steroids, including at least three juniors.

The athlete said he injected the steroid nandrolone decanoate – known as Deca – for six weeks last spring.

"Nobody's afraid of getting tested because they know the school can't afford it right now," the athlete told the newspaper.

Heritage doesn't test students for steroid use. Possession or sale of steroids without a doctor's prescription is a federal offense, punishable by up to one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine.

The News interviewed the athlete and his mother after she discovered the steroids in his bedroom closet. They agreed to tell their story on the condition that their names not be disclosed.

Steroids disclosure no surprise to some

In an interview with The News in November, Heritage head football coach Chris Cunningham vehemently denied steroid use among his players.

"In the nine years that I've been here, I do not know of a single case," he said. "And I'm talking about our entire athletic program."

He also denounced the mother, who a few weeks earlier had reported to school administrators that athletes were using steroids.

"This lady is a liar," Mr. Cunningham told The News during the interview. "She's got a son she caught taking steroids, and she just wants someone to blame."

The coach said he did not know her identity.

Over the last week, The News has made several attempts to contact Mr. Cunningham. On Monday, he sent an e-mail saying he would only respond to written questions because of the subject's sensitivity.

In its response to those questions, the school district said it began investigating the possibility of steroid use after an "anonymous parent" called the school last fall and alleged steroid use by Heritage athletes.

"Campus officials made repeated inquiries through multiple individual and group meetings with athletes during the fall 2004 semester," the school district said. "In every instance, the student response was to deny steroid use."

Eventually, nine students came forward and admitted to using steroids last spring, the school official said.

Ms. McClure said the information about the adult steroid dealer has been provided to law enforcement authorities. She did not indicate which agency.

The only other known instance in which several high school students admitted using steroids occurred in Buckeye, Ariz., in fall 2003, a search of news databases shows.

In that case, the mother of a Buckeye Union High School football player found steroids in her son's room and called police. Under orders from school officials to get answers, football coach Bobby Barnes questioned his players one by one over several hours. Ten admitted using steroids and were suspended for the remainder of the season. Another player implicated had already quit the team.

"The best advice I could give him [Mr. Cunningham] is to communicate with the parents of the kids and make them understand that any discipline that is doled out is for their own good," Mr. Barnes said Thursday evening.

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD hasn't taken action against the nine Colleyville students because their admitted steroid use occurred "within the 2003-2004 school year," Ms. McClure said in her statement to The News.

"District officials are currently conducting a review to determine whether disciplinary action is appropriate," said Ms. McClure. "An investigation as to whether any other students are using steroids is ongoing."

Heritage football players contacted Thursday evening by The News refused to speak with reporters.

"I have no comment about that," said one football player after answering the door of his home in Colleyville, an affluent Northeast Tarrant County suburb. "Our coach – we're just not talking about it. I don't want to get into any of that."

"I have nothing to say to you guys; thanks a lot," the father of another athlete said as he slammed the door.

In mid-December, Mr. Cunningham contacted the Plano-based Taylor Hooton Foundation, which conducts school seminars on teen steroid abuse. He asked about holding a steroid seminar at Heritage, said Don Hooton, foundation chairman.

Mr. Hooton blames the July 2003 suicide of his 17-year-old son – a Plano West baseball player – on steroid-related depression.

The Heritage admission of steroid use is "not necessarily the tip of the iceberg, but there is probably a lot more going on there than they have uncovered yet," said Mr. Hooton. "I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we said it wasn't happening right now."

Mr. Hooton said he received another phone call from Mr. Cunningham on Thursday about hosting a seminar – just hours before the school district released its statement to The News. "The solution to this problem begins with admitting you have one," Mr. Hooton said. "It's a giant hurdle to get over."
    All-Time Series Record: 60-43-5

Alumnus:

Gainesville Leopards
    The University of Texas (B.S.)
    West Texas A&M University (M.A.)
    University of Nebraska (future Ph.D)

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

pretty much all i can say is WOW!

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

All-American

"The Heritage admission of steroid use is "not necessarily the tip of the iceberg, but there is probably a lot more going on there than they have uncovered yet," said Mr. Hooton. "I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we said it wasn't happening right now."

... yes, I think it IS the tip of the berg... I think this is a lot bigger problem than people will admit. I also think that a coach has a responsibility to monitor this and not turn a blind eye. If a kid gains 20-25 pounds in an offseason, it needs to be looked into.

BullFrog Dad

Sad thing about this is that it happened in Colleyville 90210. These parents have the money to keep the school from doing anything to discipline the kids. In fact their spokesman even said they are considering whether or not to discipline the kids. Doesn't the UIL have a say in this?

BullFrog Dad

Funny that everyone was ready to hang the girl from Permian over the alcohol incident but this thread went virtually unnoticed.

All-American

Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
    Funny that everyone was ready to hang the girl from Permian over the alcohol incident but this thread went virtually unnoticed.
    Bull, plus it was instigated by one of the schools own representative - a teacher/coach.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

All-American

I'll have to agree that steroid use is way up among high schools. With college tuition the way it is now, most kids see athletics as a way to get into school, as well as, into the pros. Unfortunately we as a society place priorities and "bigger, faster, stronger" has become 3 of them.

You know, I can guarantee that the steroid problem is worse than anyone cares to admit. I'm surprised that nine players is the most ever caught from a single school... and that it made national headlines. I know of at least three kids from my little 3A HS class who took them, and we were one of the "well-behaved" classes. When they said tip of the iceberg, I wonder if they have any idea what's really out there.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

All-American

Originally posted by big daddy russ
    You know, I can guarantee that the steroid problem is worse than anyone cares to admit.

Agreed.
    All-Time Series Record: 60-43-5

Alumnus:

Gainesville Leopards
    The University of Texas (B.S.)
    West Texas A&M University (M.A.)
    University of Nebraska (future Ph.D)

Bandera YaYa

Nine players admit to using them, but the coach says nothing was happening.......And, he calls some lady he says he doen't know, a liar......does this bring up red flags with anyone else???? He should be fired.

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
    Do we know what the school policy is at Colleyville regarding substance abuse? It saddens me to know that kids are so uninformed about the dangers of substance abuse of any kind; if they are informed & just choose to ignore the information, that is a travesty for which the repercussions could be deadly.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

it shouldnt matter what the school policy is. The fact is they have admitted to using an ILLEGAL substance. Possession or sale of steroids without a doctor's prescription is a federal offense, punishable by up to one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine.

How can people say that this isnt a problem in the schools. Nine students admit to using it at ONE school and it isnt a big problem?

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

Originally posted by kaorder1999
    How can people say that this isnt a problem in the schools.
    who said that it isn't a problem?

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Originally posted by kaorder1999
    it shouldnt matter what the school policy is. The fact is they have admitted to using an ILLEGAL substance. Possession or sale of steroids without a doctor's prescription is a federal offense, punishable by up to one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine.

How can people say that this isnt a problem in the schools. Nine students admit to using it at ONE school and it isnt a big problem?
    I'll agree with that & thanks for the reminder. I agree that it is a problem in many schools & should be addressed. The coach doesn't look very conscientious is denying the allegations; admission on his part would be worse for him. However, the coach "looking bad" is the least of his problems.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

the UIL, who year after year says that they are "investigating" implementing a drug testing program and still to tthis day has not....