Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default Texas A&I vs Hawaii in football history.

The teams met twice and this was when the Texas A&I Hogs were not Texas A&M University at Kingsville. One of the Hawaii faculty members was from UT (and this was when Texas and Darrell Royal were having glory years in the 60s). Texas A&I went to Hawaii for two years and beat Hawaii by one sided margins. When the faculty member from UT heard about the schedule he is quoted as telling the Hawaii Athletic Director "Why did you schedule that school (Texas A&I)? Darrell Royal wouldn't play those guys for anything in the world!"

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

pirate44

Default Re: Texas A&I vs Hawaii in football history.

Originally posted by Phil C
    The teams met twice and this was when the Texas A&I Hogs were not Texas A&M University at Kingsville. One of the Hawaii faculty members was from UT (and this was when Texas and Darrell Royal were having glory years in the 60s). Texas A&I went to Hawaii for two years and beat Hawaii by one sided margins. When the faculty member from UT heard about the schedule he is quoted as telling the Hawaii Athletic Director "Why did you schedule that school (Texas A&I)? Darrell Royal wouldn't play those guys for anything in the world!"
    the great Gil Steinke was coach back then, Phil. He started coaching in 1954 and by 1959 he claimed the first of six national NAIA championships, three of them consecutively, for A&I. In 1977, his final year the team completed a 39 game winning streak which was the longest active one in the nation, at that time.

All-American

Default Re: Re: Texas A&I vs Hawaii in football history.

Originally posted by pirate44
    the great Gil Steinke was coach back then, Phil. He started coaching in 1954 and by 1959 he claimed the first of six national NAIA championships, three of them consecutively, for A&I. In 1977, his final year the team completed a 39 game winning streak which was the longest active one in the nation, at that time.
    I was working on my master's degree at that time Pirate. In fact he retired in 1976 when the team had won 39 straight games. Coach Jonas took over in 1977 and the streak got up to 44 games before a 25 to 25 tie with Abilene Christian stopped the streak and next week East Texas State beat the Hogs 7 to 6. This was the closest that any team came to Oklahoma's 47 game win streak.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

pirate44

i know of Coach Steinke a little, but i wonder if people who havent gone to A&I are familiar with this man. i may be biased, but in my opinion he was one of the greatest college football coaches. He was also a great college player as well as a pretty good pro player. desgregation was going on at that time, and he would never let his team seperate. even when the black athletes were refused stay in certain hotels, he would leave and only stay where his team could be together.

pirate44

Default Re: Re: Re: Texas A&I vs Hawaii in football history.

Originally posted by Phil C
    I was working on my master's degree at that time Pirate. In fact he retired in 1976 when the team had won 39 straight games. Coach Jonas took over in 1977 and the streak got up to 44 games before a 25 to 25 tie with Abilene Christian stopped the streak and next week East Texas State beat the Hogs 7 to 6. This was the closest that any team came to Oklahoma's 47 game win streak.
    what a great time to be a hoggie. definately the glory years!!

All-American

Pirate it was a great time. I had went to work for a few years before working on my masters but I caught the last full year of the win streak in 1976. Steinke was one of the finest small town coaches I think there ever was. I was always surprised that none of the bigger schools ever got him but I have heard that he liked being at the small school at Texas A&I. He went to Ganado High School and then Texas A&I so maybe it was easy to just stay at his alma mater when he went into coaching. He also played a few years for Philadelphia. I have heard that he was approached that he could have at one had the Baylor and the Texas A&M jobs and probably others but he liked being at the smaller school. He was great at recruiting - especially the Houston area.

Phil C Cares!

PurpleFreddy

East Texas also broke Pittsburg (Kan.) State's 56-game regular-season winning streak back in 1991 in a great game at Commerce.

Don't let the powers-that-be know that you called it Texas A&M at Kingsville. They'll have a cow. FYI, it's Texas A&M-Kingsville (and Texas A&M-Commerce).

They asked if I wanted to change my diploma from ETSU. I could only laugh.

pirate44

Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
    East Texas also broke Pittsburg (Kan.) State's 56-game regular-season winning streak back in 1991 in a great game at Commerce.

Don't let the powers-that-be know that you called it Texas A&M at Kingsville. They'll have a cow. FYI, it's Texas A&M-Kingsville (and Texas A&M-Commerce).

A&I till i die

All-American

Mine still says Texas A&I.

Phil C Cares!

PurpleFreddy

True story:

Our old offensive line coach, C.W. "Boley" Crawford, who also coached golf at ETSU, retired from football and became the "color" guy on the football broadcasts.

Well, sometime in the late 80s, during a break in the action of a Javelina-Lion game, Boley turned to play-by-play man Rich Reneau and asked, "Rich, you ever wonder what that A&I stands for in Texas A&I?"
    "Yeah, coach, I have," Reneau unwittingly replied.
    "Apes and idiots, Rich!" Boley laughed. Old Boley wasn't too PC.

pirate44

True story:

Our old offensive line coach, C.W. "Boley" Crawford, who also coached golf at ETSU, retired from football and became the "color" guy on the football broadcasts.

Well, sometime in the late 80s, during a break in the action of a Javelina-Lion game, Boley turned to play-by-play man Rich Reneau and asked, "Rich, you ever wonder what that A&I stands for in Texas A&I?"
    "Yeah, coach, I have," Reneau unwittingly replied.
    "Apes and idiots, Rich!" Boley laughed. Old Boley wasn't too PC.
    pretty colorful
    musta been after Johnny Baily scored another TD.

PurpleFreddy

Yeah, or Heath Sherman.

But, you have to admit, A&I did have a reputation for recruiting a certain element.

pirate44

Yeah, or Heath Sherman.

But, you have to admit, A&I did have a reputation for recruiting a certain element.
    no comment.

Starter

Does anybody remember Coach Steinke coaching the game from the press box. He stated he could see the plays develop better from that angle. Only head coach that I've ever heard of doing that. Had him for an instructor in several classes when I was attending A&I. He had a very sharp mind and put it to great use on the field. By the way Bailey and Sherman played at A&I in the late 70's and early 80's.

pirate44

Originally posted by Vrabird
    By the way Bailey and Sherman played at A&I in the late 70's and early 80's.
    'fraid not Vrabird. mid-late '80s. in fact Johnny was drafted in 1990 and Heath in 1989.
    you sure your not thinking of the great Darrell Green?