Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pirate44

Default profanity on the football field

i havent played since 1989, but back then my coaches didnt think twice before using language that would make a sailor squirm. i dont use profanity and hate to hear it, but back then we loved it and were motivated by it. with all the restrictions in todays school, are coaches still pretty vulgar??

One of my son's favorite (and most respected) coaches does cuss quite a bit. I think it is acceptable because it is NOT directed at the kids ... if you know what I mean.

pirate44

Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
    One of my son's favorite (and most respected) coaches does cuss quite a bit. I think it is acceptable because it is NOT directed at the kids ... if you know what I mean.
    im editting this post. even though the profanity is left out, the visual was still there. sorry.

onfirebball05mustang

its an angering and somewhat motivating word usage, i dont condone, nor condemn it, but it should NEVER be directed at the players, and yet directed at them at the same time....a controversial thing, but hey, it happens

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

my basketball coach never cussed, and if we did....we ran...and ran....and ran...and ran....i think one kid is still running....

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
    its an angering and somewhat motivating word usage, i dont condone, nor condemn it, but it should NEVER be directed at the players, and yet directed at them at the same time....a controversial thing, but hey, it happens
    im more confused about alot of things after reading this post

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

pirate44

Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
    it was directed toward us all the time. i never saw any harm. we were a close knit family and knew it meant nothing. and like i said, i dont use profanity so its not like it influenced me.

onfirebball05mustang

Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
    im more confused about alot of things after reading this post
    eh it's my lot in life...your confusion is my comfort zone

pirate44

Originally posted by jason
    my basketball coach never cussed, and if we did....we ran...and ran....and ran...and ran....i think one kid is still running....
    i always assumed the change was a sign of the times. maybe a threat by the school boards in fear of lawsuits.

Just my guess, but I would think that kids who have an adult speak to them in an adult manner (right or wrong) somehow gain their respect.

Tough subject to explore without talking out of both sides of one's mouth. Like you P44, I grew up with a lot of coaches that used "salty" language to make a point, and we, or our parents didn't think much of it. IMO, times have changed and so have the "lines" when it comes to profanity useage. The terminology has evolved a lot. Back in my day a coach usually restricted his cussing to the standard 3 or 4-letter expletives. I, personally, do not condone the use of the Lord's name in vain under any circumstances, nor any of the "F" words. This is where the problem lies on this subject and many similar ones in our society when it comes to "moral" judgements and censorship . That which is offensive to one family or individual may not be offensive to others. I think the best policy for a coach to follow in today's environment would be to refrain from the use of profanity completely. Otherwise, in certain circumstances, he is going to be spending a lot more of his time defending his actions than coaching.

pirate44

Originally posted by Bullaholic
    Tough subject to explore without talking out of both sides of one's mouth. Like you P44, I grew up with a lot of coaches that used "salty" language to make a point, and we, or our parents didn't think much of it. IMO, times have changed and so have the "lines" when it comes to profanity useage. The terminology has evolved a lot. Back in my day a coach usually restricted his cussing to the standard 3 or 4-letter expletives. I, personally, do not condone the use of the Lord's name in vain under any circumstances, nor any of the "F" words. This is where the problem lies on this subject and many similar ones in our society when it comes to "moral" judgements and censorship . That which is offensive to one family or individual may not be offensive to others. I think the best policy for a coach to follow in today's environment would be to refrain from the use of profanity completely. Otherwise, in certain circumstances, he is going to be spending a lot more of his time defending his actions than coaching.
    back in my time a coach had no need to defend himself. even parents knew and heard it and never blinked an eye at it. but those were the times when you could see a coach paddle huge football players and make them tear up for being late to practice, and the parents would understand.

Originally posted by pirate44
    back in my time a coach had no need to defend himself. even parents knew and heard it and never blinked an eye at it. but those were the times when you could see a coach paddle huge football players and make them tear up for being late to practice, and the parents would understand.
    The good old days!

Panther Ross

Yeah earlier this season a kid quit, went off the field screaming and cursing and saying every word in the book and he had the balls to get his mom up there. It was a sight.

All-American

I don't know if it was common in other places at the time but when I was in high school those coaches could chew you out and really get their point accross without using any profanity at all.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!