Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AggieJohn

Default AP Columnist speaks out

By: Matt Hayes

I'm done with this crazy poll business. Don't ask me to vote again AP, because I'll laugh at you and your silly system of uninformed voters who don't take it seriously.

How on earth could some voters have dropped California or jumped Texas to put the Longhorns in the Rose Bowl ahead of the Bears? It's a damn shame.

Here's some advice for AP voters: Watch the games. Cal is significantly — that's right, significantly — better than Texas.

Who could watch Louisville and Utah and not also believe they would beat Texas and its one-dimensional offense?

I've had Cal, Utah and Louisville ahead of Texas on my AP ballot for the last month. Why? Because after actually watching games, I made an informed opinion that on a neutral field, Texas couldn't hang with any of the three.

What exactly has Texas done to prove it belongs among the elite of the nation, other than blow nearly every meaningful game under coach Mack Brown? Bottom line: Texas and Cal had ugly wins this season and played in conferences in down cycles. So let's go to the key game for both: the losses. Cal lost at the No.1 team in the nation (USC) on the last play of a game it should have won. Texas didn't sniff the end zone in a shutout loss to Oklahoma on a neutral field.

Polls and bowls are all about controversy; it's the lifeblood of the game. It gives every season unique and ever-changing flaws that are at times as much a part of the sport as the games. The problem is, many poll voters don' t watch the games and don't care enough about their place in this annual circus. I'd be willing to bet more than half of the AP voters have no idea who Ryan Riddle is. He's only second in the nation in sacks and has been one of the most dominant defensive players in the nation. By the way, he plays defensive end for Cal.

Those same voters are probably a little shaky on J.J. Arrington, too — the only back in the country to have at least 100 yards in every game this season. He's a tailback; he plays for the Bears, too. But you better believe they know Texas tailback Cedric Benson, who tanked three straight years against Oklahoma but has a lot of yards against the Baylors of the world. And the Longhorns' Vince Young, who as a quarterback, is a really good tailback. And they know about poor Mack Brown, the coach who tries so hard but just can't get his team to win a big game.

And while we're at it, let's congratulate those computer polls, which, according to the BCS honchos, weren't going to have as much of an impact on the BCS race this season. Well, Cal finished No.4 in both the human polls — one spot ahead of Texas in the coaches poll and two spots ahead of the Longhorns in the AP poll — and got bumped out by geeks with slide rules.

Texas whined and complained last year when it was left out of the BCS chase. Less than a month later, it waltzed into the Holiday Bowl and got physically whipped by a decent Washington State team. So instead of a little humility after last year's embarrassing finish to the season, Brown and the Longhorns were at it again last week, politicking to the very end.

Please Michigan, do us all a favor and expose the Longhorns once and for all. And expose those poll voters in the process. A damn shame, alright.

Port_town_texas

Oh well he isn't GOD so......Who cares whut he thinks UT is in the Rose Bowl and his team is not. period, end of discussion.

spiveyrat

Sounds like a

Last edited by spiveyrat; 12-08-2004 at 06:32 AM.

All-American

Who is this guy and who does he write for? If Oklahoma whips USC bad he will have egg on his face. Anyway I hope you keep your word and don't vote Matt but my guess is that you will be back voting next year and have some excuse for coming back! If not then good riddance!

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

gee i wonder if this guy went to a&m....

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Originally posted by Phil C
    back voting next year and have some excuse for coming back!
    you know he will...they always do...

PPHSfan

Now I really hope Tech hangs half a hundred on Cal. And I hope OU beats USC by twice that many. Then he can take his left coast rag and use it to wipe away the tears.

Bellville22

Interesting article.

Jet1

it is sad that things did not go his way. It sounds like the world would be a better place if we would all listen to him

Jet1

in other words, someone tell him to shut up and quit crying

All-American bullfrog_alumni_02's Avatar

wow talk about someone who eats wamburger and frenchcrys for breakfast lunch and dinner!! im not saying cal isnt a good team, but texas is a much better team than cal. their only loss was to the number 2 ranked team in the bcs. i dont care what the polls say texas is better than cal.

rhs78

Cool

This guy has blown a major gasket, sounds like a left-coast whinner!!!!!. More power to UT and OU and Tech. they all three will win

All-American

The California Quarterback said his coach and californians had lots of class but now after this guy's comments and the request of the Pacific League president I wonder.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

Bellville22

Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
    [B but texas is a much better team than cal. their only loss was to the number 2 ranked team in the bcs. i dont care what the polls say texas is better than cal. [/B]
    Cal's only loss was to the number 1 team in the bcs! by 6, at their place! I don't care what the polls say, Cal is better than Texas

Bellville22

Originally posted by rhs78
    This guy has blown a major gasket, sounds like a left-coast whinner!!!!!. More power to UT and OU and Tech. they all three will win
    don't forget A&M, they have a good matchup

I think A&M and Texas have the best chance of winning out of the Big XII teams