Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Modern Day Friday night lights....

What town or team do you guys think could be most related to the Permian team in the book now-a-days... this can be any classification, I know reading back in the book i could relate alot of the things they said to Gainesville, but i'm sure its the same with many teams..

From the outside, I think Denton Ryan or Southlake Carrol both would be teams that hold their town's emotions and are expected to contend for the state championship year after year

IHStangFan

Sealy had a good run at it there for a few years.....and if i recall correctly....you used to always hear about Judson. Celina has done it year after year in the past....of course..these are all diff. classifications.

Originally posted by IHStangFan
    Sealy had a good run at it there for a few years.....and if i recall correctly....you used to always hear about Judson. Celina has done it year after year in the past....of course..these are all diff. classifications.
    good point, they can be from any class, cuz Permian is 5A

IHStangFan

Originally posted by Keith7
    good point, they can be from any class, cuz Permian is 5A
    yup...also...who was it out in west Texas that used to win the 6 man year after year? was it Sanderson? i cant recall. just know it was out in that area.

Chris Hart

Originally posted by IHStangFan
    yup...also...who was it out in west Texas that used to win the 6 man year after year? was it Sanderson? i cant recall. just know it was out in that area.
    Wasn't that fort Hancock?

Junkyard

I am thinking Sthephenville from the 90's on.

IHStangFan

i really cant remember......Marathon? Sanderson? Marfa? i really dont remember.

Chris Hart

I would say SLC is the closest thing to the old Permian. Denton Ryan is great as well, but just moving up to 5A, they are just now receiving the National attention. Isn't SLC ranked #1 in the nation presently?

Originally posted by Chris Hart
    I would say SLC is the closest thing to the old Permian. Denton Ryan is great as well, but just moving up to 5A, they are just now receiving the National attention. Isn't SLC ranked #1 in the nation presently?
    Yes they are, but Permian wasn't ranked nationally, infact they lost a couple of games during the regular season (I don't want to ruin the movie and say who)..

The reason why I chose Ryan is because, Like Permian, there are 2 high schools in Denton, and Ryan has been the more dominant one for years, just like in friday night lights, also Denton's size is similar to Odessa's and also has some racial differences between the high schools, just like the book, thats why i thought of Denton Ryan..

and The reason i thought of SLC is because it seems like their whole town comes together for their games, if you read the other message boards, they are crowded with SLC fans so bad that its almost annoying, but they really love their town's football

IHStangFan

Yes they are, but Permian wasn't ranked nationally, infact they lost a couple of games during the regular season (I don't want to ruin the movie and say who)..

The reason why I chose Ryan is because, Like Permian, there are 2 high schools in Denton, and Ryan has been the more dominant one for years, just like in friday night lights, also Denton's size is similar to Odessa's and also has some racial differences between the high schools, just like the book, thats why i thought of Denton Ryan..

and The reason i thought of SLC is because it seems like their whole town comes together for their games, if you read the other message boards, they are crowded with SLC fans so bad that its almost annoying, but they really love their town's football
    kinda like Sinton only on a bigger scale....on a friday night, Sinton streets are EMPTY..cause everyone is at the game. every car, truck or van you pass has a Sinton Pirates sticker or flag on it.....

Chris Hart

Well, you know more about it than me, I haven't seen the movie or read the book yet. I plan to do both eventually.

Originally posted by Chris Hart
    Well, you know more about it than me, I haven't seen the movie or read the book yet. I plan to do both eventually.
    yea i know, i went and bought the book 2 weeks ago to re-read it before the movie came out..

plus I dated a girl from Billy Ryan High school, whos parents wouldnt shut up about how Denton Ryan was just like the book

Bandera YaYa

Well, that's all fine and good....but I think a new "Cinderella' book (movie??) should be written about Bandera's 2002 State Championship team. And I want quotes from all you posters who didn't believe!!!

Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
    Well, that's all fine and good....but I think a new "Cinderella' book (movie??) should be written about Bandera's 2002 State Championship team. And I want quotes from all you posters who didn't believe!!!
    I wouldnt want to be prince charming in that movie!
    Last edited by Keith7; 10-01-2004 at 02:29 PM.

BullFrog Dad

Haven't read FNL but I've heard plenty about Permian's football history. I would have to say that SLC is today's Permian for one main reason. During their heyday Permian would recruit the best players in the Basin area with the lure being Dad getting a job in the "oil patch". I've got friends in the Colleyville-SL-Grapevine area who say how amazed people would be at the number of kids who show up at SLC in 8th-10th grade that were outstanding FB players at their previous schools. Of course Dad or Mom just happened to get a job transfer from another part of the country.