Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-American

Cool Rockdale Scrimmage

How did the Tigers do against Fairfield????

All-American BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END's Avatar

You should have went and seen the scrimmage yourself.
    Official F.A.N.T.O.M. Liaison to Big XII Football, In Charge of Heavy Lifting

I Can Crush You Mentally and Physically

zeke

The Rockdale 1st team offense had several real bright spots in the 1st 20 play series. Most of their receivers were getting separation on their pass routes, and the QB was able to hit a few in stride for some nice long completions. Their running game had a much tougher time moving the ball. In all honesty their line is pretty undersized and going against a much bigger and quicker Fairfield defensive 5 man front. Rockdale stuck with dive and draw plays to their very small, but quick tailback. The tailback got into the open field only a couple of times and then was impressive with his ability to dart and cut against the swarming Fairfield defenders. I would say that they covered about 140 yards in the 1st 20 play series and most of it came from their passing game and they crossed the endzone line just one time.

The Fairfield 1st team offense was stymied in the first couple of sets of downs, but their running game successfully kept moving the sticks for one score toward the end of the 20 play series. They hooked up on a couple of short pass plays, but on their longer attempts they had overthrows and drops. TB Cecil Carter looked impressive getting into open field and making high speed cuts to find the end zone. Fairfield probably had about 100 yards of offense in the 1st 20 play series.

In the 3rd 20 play series, the 1st teams took the field again. Rockdale's offense started the set, Their coach kept them in the spread offense out of the shotgun. After 4 running plays to the TB and no gain, they start putting the ball in the air. Unfortunately, the Fairfield defense starts bringing the house. The Rockdale center at the same time was struggling to get the ball to the QB out of shotgun. The ball was arriving to the QB about the same time Fairfield defenders were nailing the QB in the chest. After about 3 consecutive plays of hammering the QB, the Rockdale QB goes down for good. It appeared a shoulder injury kept the Rockdale QB from returning to the game. I have to give credit to the Fairfield defense, they stepped up their game dramatically in this final set

Best wishes to this young man. I hope this turns out to be nothing serious and he makes a full and quick recovery.

The Rockdale team will certainly need his skills if their offense is going to progress. The Fairfield defense continued shutting out the Rockdale offense for the remainder of the final series and ended the set with about 30 total yards of gains in this set.

The final offensive 20 play series by Fairfield was about a carbon copy of the first series. They slowly but deliberately moved the ball across the endzone line one time at the end of the 20 play series. The had a few short pass completions and drops on longer tries, and had about 90 total yards in gains in this set.

Did you go to the scrimmage, Zeke?

zeke

I was there, BBDE. How is your QB doing?

All-American

What was Rockdale's coach thinking? After two sacks he should have abandoned the shotgun or replaced the center. This sounds like an injury that shouldn't have happened. Hope the Rockdale qb is going to be alright.

zeke

Being their 1st scrimmage, this may have been something their coach felt they needed work on. The QB is a good sized kid and had taken several hits without any ill effects. I'm betting their coach is working on pass blocking and the center hiking that ball with more velocity this week. Adjustments will be made, I bet!!!

All-American

Did you see me get killed going over the middle on that go route zeke? lol As for the QB he's out 3-4 weeks w/ a fractured collar bone.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

All-American

Cool

Who is the Rockdale QB??? Quality backups??? Good luck to the Tigers. How did the rest of the district fair in their scrimmages???

All-American

Rockdale should fire this coach,

In all fairness to Rockdale's coach...

The first time that happens you think "Well, that didn't go too well, maybe it's just a one time thing, let's practice it again (this is practice, the only way to get better is to keep practicing)..."

After it happens a second time, I'm sure he takes the center to the side and asks him what's going on and asks him to 'practice' it again...

Unfortuantly this time it resulted in an injury (which happens in this collision sport)...

All-American

Originally posted by Gobbla2001
    In all fairness to Rockdale's coach...

The first time that happens you think "Well, that didn't go too well, maybe it's just a one time thing, let's practice it again (this is practice, the only way to get better is to keep practicing)..."

After it happens a second time, I'm sure he takes the center to the side and asks him what's going on and asks him to 'practice' it again...

Unfortuantly this time it resulted in an injury (which happens in this collision sport)...
    But it is the coach's job to make adjustments. Three strikes and your out.:

Don't blame Coach Clark for the mishap. Like Gobbla said, it's a contact sport. The coaches agreed before the game not to hit the QB's, but stuff like that happens sometimes. Gobbla is correct in his assumption that we were running the play in order to get it right, and that's what Coach Clark had in mind.

Originally posted by Pudlugger
    But it is the coach's job to make adjustments.
    During a game, yes... During practice? No, you keep trying until you get it right... 'Three strikes and you're out' can go for this as well...

I guess if you don't want to win, you can avoid practicing the things you feel are important...

All-American

Cool

Rockdale already fired one heck of a coach, lets not make another mistake. Football is a contact sport and players get hurt. I have not met a coach that coaches to hurt kids!!! Things happen, I am sure that every team that scrimmaged has some kids that either were hurt or have bumps and bruises. Hope Rockdale can respond and get better.