Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starter

Default Celina vs. Argyle

Celina has never advanced to the state game without beating Argyle, even if that game was in the regular season.

2009 — lost to Argyle, lost to Kennedale in area round

2012 — lost to Argyle, lost to Henderson in region semis

2013 — lost to Argyle, lost to Gainesville in 2OT in bi-district

2014 — lost to Argyle, lost to Gilmer in state semifinals

2015 — BEAT Argyle, went to state game (lost to WOS after QB broke his arm on opening drive)

2016 — lost to Argyle, lost to Gilmer in region finals

They haven't beaten Argyle since 2015 and their postseason fortunes reflect that. (Of course they haven't beaten Gilmer since then either, but Celina's not playing Gilmer on Friday.)
    24 down ... 24 to go.

All-American

In recent-ish memory, it's certainly meant something for Celina to beat Argyle. The Bobcats dominated the rivalry in the early going, but the Eagles have owned the series for a little while now. That 2015 game was a good one, and wasn't even as close as the score appeared. And of course, that was one of the better Celina teams in recent memory, too. In fact, I'd say the Bobcats were far and away the best team in all of 4A that year. And had Pingleton not broken his arm on that opening drive, Celina would have nine state titles.

I said going into this year that THIS Celina team had a very similar feel to that 2015 team. So far, that feeling has held up. The Bobcats have beaten two pretty decent state-ranked Div. I teams to open the year. The defense has flashed some moments of greatness, and the potential to be great. The offense has shown it can score lots of points, and just needs a bit more consistency. It's hard to forget, Noah Bentley is only going into this 9th start at QB on Friday.

Celina was pretty banged up going into the Paris game, and then lost the entire RB depth chart along the way AND out stud receiver. If The Bobcats are healthy going into Friday's game, then there's a legitimate chance Celina can knock off Argyle. If we're down to our (literal) 6th string RB and don't have Urich back at receiver, it could be a really tough road. Hard to make a prediction without knowing those things, but either way, I hope the Bobcats come out really fired up and focused and stamp themselves as legitimate title contenders.
    Texas Forever.

Starter

I am just hoping for a good solid performance from the Bobcats as Argyle has so many weapons and from their performance last Friday it does not look like the Eagles have taking a step back from last years State Champion team . The Bobcat defense will have to play lights out as Argyle seems to score on every possession and before you know it or by the start of the second quarter they have a 21 to 0 or 28 to 0 lead on you and you just cannot recover. This game is a huge challenge for the Bobcats and I am hoping they are able to perform to meet that challenge . Good Luck Bobcats!

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Celina8 View Post
    I am just hoping for a good solid performance from the Bobcats as Argyle has so many weapons and from their performance last Friday it does not look like the Eagles have taking a step back from last years State Champion team . The Bobcat defense will have to play lights out as Argyle seems to score on every possession and before you know it or by the start of the second quarter they have a 21 to 0 or 28 to 0 lead on you and you just cannot recover. This game is a huge challenge for the Bobcats and I am hoping they are able to perform to meet that challenge . Good Luck Bobcats!

If the Bobcats are healthy, they've got the dudes and the team to go toe-to-toe with the Eagles this year. But I'm not sure of the status of some of those key playmakers.
    Texas Forever.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    If the Bobcats are healthy, they've got the dudes and the team to go toe-to-toe with the Eagles this year. But I'm not sure of the status of some of those key playmakers.
    Thanks d0tc0m, I am excited for the Bobcats this year and I hope it is a great season for these young men.

I think the Bobcats have the ability to get it done this season. So far it has been proven correct. This game is not a make or break. It should not be treated as such. I would love to see both coaches throttle down and think about the big picture. Both teams can win their respective divisions but not on Friday. Play safe fun ball. Don't try to kill each other. This always seems to be a good match up. I will watch the game with popcorn in hand, good stuff. These are my 2 picks for 4A titles this season....

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Go Steers!

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Pigskin Prep says Argyle -11

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by briandumith* View Post
    I think the Bobcats have the ability to get it done this season. So far it has been proven correct. This game is not a make or break. It should not be treated as such. I would love to see both coaches throttle down and think about the big picture. Both teams can win their respective divisions but not on Friday. Play safe fun ball. Don't try to kill each other. This always seems to be a good match up. I will watch the game with popcorn in hand, good stuff. These are my 2 picks for 4A titles this season....

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Well, I'd be perfectly alright if both your 4A picks prove correct, brian!

As far as this match up, I know Coach Elliot will not push any of his players whose health might be in question, because you're right, this game is not a make or break. Both teams have already beaten a pair of state-ranked opponents, and I'd say both teams have a pretty good idea already of who they are and what they can reasonably accomplish this year. I think that takes the pressure off this game, and frees it up to just be a fun, hard-hitting grudge match.

Overall, a win probably does more for Celina than it does for Argyle, just because of the current stature of the programs. But I don't think a loss does much to either side, in all honesty. Both teams should still be playing football in December.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post

That's probably not a bad starting line.
    Texas Forever.

harris poll says argyle -15

All-American

harris poll says argyle -15

Maybe they know more about the health/status of the Bobcats.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Maybe they know more about the health/status of the Bobcats.
    Pretty sure it's all based on numbers.
    Pigskin traditionally has a larger spread than Harris so this one is interesting.

All-American

Pretty sure it's all based on numbers.
    Pigskin traditionally has a larger spread than Harris so this one is interesting.
    I forget Harris is still around.....I use Pigskin and Padilla a lot though

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    I forget Harris is still around.....I use Pigskin and Padilla a lot though
    we use harris and pigskin as talking points during our radio pre game - surprised to see stephenville at #2 in the pigskin poll this week - saw they made it into the DCTF top 10 too!!
    half the DCTF top 10 from just two districts...yikes...

pigskin week 3 poll

1 argyle
    stephenville
    calallen
    midlo heritage
    austin lbj
    springtown
    paris
    chapel hill
    kilgore
    10 la vega
    kennedale
    huffman hargrave
    cc miller
    pl calhoun
    canyon lake
    boerne
    lindale
    dumas
    decaut
    20 canyon

All-American

we use harris and pigskin as talking points during our radio pre game - surprised to see stephenville at #2 in the pigskin poll this week - saw they made it into the DCTF top 10 too!!
    half the DCTF top 10 from just two districts...yikes...

pigskin week 3 poll

1 argyle
    stephenville
    calallen
    midlo heritage
    austin lbj
    springtown
    paris
    chapel hill
    kilgore
    10 la vega
    kennedale