Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Rio Hondo enter the valley top 10 team at #10 with their win in week 1.

Had seen PI scrimmage against Porter on video last week and could see some of the PI tradition of power football in that scrimmage and seem to carry over to Week 1. DCTF has them as 4 point underdogs in week 2 so if they keep rolling look out as Coach V has them heading in right direction with a young team.

Rockport-Fulton saw some of their video and they have a new kid on dline looks like about 6'4 and just looks like he can dominate at the line. RF return just about as much as Sinton and they look better than last season.
    Small correction. PI scrimmaged Brownsville Pace, not Porter.

Also, DCTF is really underestimating this Tarpon team if they are having us as 4 point underdogs vs. Pharr Valley View, a team who didn't have a season last year and was blown out by Hidalgo last week.

And speaking of Aransas Pass. Port Isabel plays them in Week 3. It'll be interesting to see how we do against them considering Rockport put 76 on them. I doubt Port Isabel matches that. Tony V. isn't one to run up the score unless it's the backups scoring TDs. Last week vs. Brownsville St. Joseph, Tony V. called off the dogs at 40 points. The backups scored 2 more TDs
    Last edited by TarponFanInNorthTexas; 09-01-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post

Also, DCTF is really underestimating this Tarpon team if they are having us as 4 point underdogs vs. Pharr Valley View, a team who didn't have a season last year and was blown out by Hidalgo last week.

And speaking of Aransas Pass. Port Isabel plays them in Week 3. It'll be interesting to see how we do against them considering Rockport put 76 on them. I doubt Port Isabel matches that. Tony V. isn't one to run up the score unless it's the backups scoring TDs. Last week vs. Brownsville St. Joseph, Tony V. called off the dogs at 40 points. The backups scored 2 more TDs
    I thought i saw them as underdogs but right now shows PI as 16 point favorites. They do make adjustments and i got the spread early so they must of seen what you pointed out.

Practice Squad

In the Rockport vs AP game the score was not ran up. Siebert did his normal go hard in the first half, go hard the first drive of the second half, then let up. If he wanted to run it up this could’ve gotten out of hand.

I’ve watched some lousy teams over the past decade. 2018-17 Hildago, 2019 Progresso, Robstown every year. But this AP team was the worst of all. Maybe they had some players out with illness.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RkptFltn View Post
    In the Rockport vs AP game the score was not ran up. Siebert did his normal go hard in the first half, go hard the first drive of the second half, then let up. If he wanted to run it up this could’ve gotten out of hand.

I’ve watched some lousy teams over the past decade. 2018-17 Hildago, 2019 Progresso, Robstown every year. But this AP team was the worst of all. Maybe they had some players out with illness.
    Progreso is bad every year. They're even worse this year. A 2A D1 team blew them out 63-3 last week. Though to be fair to them, they didn't have a season at all last year due to the pandemic.

Also, I didn't say Rockport intentionally ran it up on AP. All I said was that our coach isn't one to intentionally run it up. If the backups are scoring TDs, then so be it. Not much else you can do after that except shrug your shoulders and agree to a running clock.

Practice Squad

Progreso is bad every year. They're even worse this year. A 2A D1 team blew them out 63-3 last week. Though to be fair to them, they didn't have a season at all last year due to the pandemic.

Also, I didn't say Rockport intentionally ran it up on AP. All I said was that our coach isn't one to intentionally run it up. If the backups are scoring TDs, then so be it. Not much else you can do after that except shrug your shoulders and agree to a running clock.
    Absolutely agree. There was a running clock in the second half of the AP vs RF game.

District teams off to a good start with one non district game to go.

W L Team-------------------------------------------------------PF PA
    2 0 Rio Hondo Bobcats--------------------------------------114 06
    2 0 Port Isabel Tarpons------------------------------------- 84 13
    2 0 Ingleside Mustangs-------------------------------------- 83 16 *
    2 0 Rockport-Fulton Pirates---------------------------------138 24
    2 0 Sinton Pirates---------------------------------------------107 24
    1-1 Robstown Cotton Pickers-------------------------------- 21 35
    1-1 Raymondville Bearkats----------------------------------- 57 42
    0-2 Corpus Christi West Oso Bears-------------------------- 48 74

* Did Aransas Pass td at the end count after all in Ingleside game if it didn't then PA for Ingleside is 10.

All-American

District teams off to a good start with one non district game to go.

W L Team-------------------------------------------------------PF PA
    2 0 Rio Hondo Bobcats--------------------------------------114 06
    2 0 Port Isabel Tarpons------------------------------------- 84 13
    2 0 Ingleside Mustangs-------------------------------------- 83 16 *
    2 0 Rockport-Fulton Pirates---------------------------------138 24
    2 0 Sinton Pirates---------------------------------------------107 24
    1-1 Robstown Cotton Pickers-------------------------------- 21 35
    1-1 Raymondville Bearkats----------------------------------- 57 42
    0-2 Corpus Christi West Oso Bears-------------------------- 48 74

* Did Aransas Pass td at the end count after all in Ingleside game if it didn't then PA for Ingleside is 10.
    Nearly all of the major sources (including DCTF) says the TD that AP scored at the end of the game counted. I watched the film on Hudl, and didn't see anything wrong with the play. Also, I doubt AP would have included that play on their highlight reel had it not counted, but that's just IMO.

As for my opinions on teams in the district 2 games in.....

Sinton and Rockport are 1 and 2 without question. The rest is where things get real fuzzy....

I, personally, am not convinced with Rio Hondo just yet. They beat a team that went winless in 2019 and had no season in 2020 in Week 1, and beat a winless in 2020 team in Week 2. They will get a pretty decent test this week against Brownsville Rivera. Sure, Rivera hasn't done much lately, but so far this year, they took one of the RGV's current Top 10 teams (PSJA North) to OT and lost, and then beat a pretty good Edinburg High team last week. Main point is this. Brownsville Rivera, at least this season, isn't the cupcake Rio Hondo is accustomed to playing against. Now if Rio Hondo ends up dominating Brownsville Rivera, then I would definitely put them up there in the Top 4 of the district. Not at the level of Sinton & Rockport, but just a step below them.

As for Raymondville, before the season started, I was telling a few folks that now with ZaRaivion Armendariz gone, the Bearkats will drop down a few notches. Sure enough, they lost to La Feria handily, and struggled to a 16-13 win gainst a La Grulla team that, quite frankly, isn't very good. They do have a QB with size that can sling the ball around, but they no longer have that speed demon X-Factor athlete like they did the past couple seasons. That has hurt them significantly.

Now, my homer call. Port Isabel, to me so far, is a "pleasant surprise". The Tarpons only played 1 game in 2020, a close loss to a 5A D1 playoff team in PSJA Southwest 35-28, but it showed a glimpse at the potential for the future for the Tarpons, as many of the kids that started in that game were Freshmen and Sophomores. The 2021 version of the Tarpons are still very young. The starting OL are 1 Senior, 3 Sophs, and a Freshman just to give you an example of just how young the 2021 version of the Tarpons are this year. Yet they were able to drop 54 on a decent Brownsville St. Joseph team in Week 1 and in Week 2, despite a noticeable size difference and a defense that was very well prepared to face the Slot-T, still put 30 points on Pharr Valley View. PI's next 2 games are against Aransas Pass and Robstown. If AP is as bad as others in the Coastal Bend are saying, the Tarpons will be 3-0 heading into Week 4.

As for Ingleside, West Oso, and Robstown, I don't know much about them enough to make comments about them. According to one poster here from Ingleside, the Mustangs aren't supposed to be very good. They're 2-0 so, IMHO, if they were truly THAT bad, they don't look it so far. Robstown, I think, is showing some spunk. They did lose to Kingsville but were somewhat competitive, but beat Falfurrias last week. I don't know jack about Falfurrias so I can't say anything, really. And for West Oso, they're 0-2 but West Oso is West Oso. Their speed will keep them in some games and for that, I'll never count them out as a team that can possibly upset one of the higher ranked teams in the district.

Should be good district with a lot of unknowns if teams have improve from last season. Majority have in this district.

All-American

Should be good district with a lot of unknowns if teams have improve from last season. Majority have in this district.
    The only one in the district that seems to have dropped down a bit is Raymondville. Now, how far down they've fallen is still up in the air. But it is painfully obvious they are nowhere near as good as they have been the past few seasons.

I'll take the blame for the confusion on the Ingleside score. The score was 68-6. I was walking out of the stadium and
    AP scored with no time left. I sent 99 an update of 68-6. When I got in the truck the radio and Scorestream were saying the score was 68-0. I assumed the TD got called back. I then sent that update to 99. Turns out the radio was getting their scores from Scorestream who is not very reliable.

The only one in the district that seems to have dropped down a bit is Raymondville. Now, how far down they've fallen is still up in the air. But it is painfully obvious they are nowhere near as good as they have been the past few seasons.
    Wasn't sure about them till saw them squeak by La Grulla. RGV TV station ranking has PI #3 and RH #4 on area rankings for sub 6a.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG69 View Post
    I'll take the blame for the confusion on the Ingleside score. The score was 68-6. I was walking out of the stadium and
    AP scored with no time left. I sent 99 an update of 68-6. When I got in the truck the radio and Scorestream were saying the score was 68-0. I assumed the TD got called back. I then sent that update to 99. Turns out the radio was getting their scores from Scorestream who is not very reliable.
    No problem, thanks for providing the updates to 99, good to still have fans posting for Ingleside updates.

All-American

No problem, thanks for providing the updates to 99, good to still have fans posting for Ingleside updates.
    Ingleside has been having some really bad seasons, but glad to post stuff when I can. From what I have seen regarding game recaps on HUDL and such, Ingleside seems to have a decent sized O line, but I am not so sure they are very athletic. Their defense hasn't allowed many points, but again that has something to do with the quality of the opponents. Ingleside's game against Gonzales will be their best opponent to date. I am interested to see how they do in that game.

All-American

I’m on a plane headed back to California, but once I get back in front of my computer, I’ll post some thoughts on district teams after Week 3.

Difficult to post with my cell phone. Darn these fat thumbs…..

I’m on a plane headed back to California, but once I get back in front of my computer, I’ll post some thoughts on district teams after Week 3.

Difficult to post with my cell phone. Darn these fat thumbs…..
    Safe travels, I hope to see few more games and trying to be off for PI game in few weeks.