Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 2021 District 16 4a D2

Sinton Pirates preseason preview from KIIITV 3

You don't have to worry about Ingleside. We will be fighting it out with Robstown and West Oso to see who the worst team in the district is.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG69 View Post
    You don't have to worry about Ingleside. We will be fighting it out with Robstown and West Oso to see who the worst team in the district is.
    DCTF has Ingleside finishing 3rd in district in it's pre season predictions. It'll be interesting to see what the valley teams bring this season to the district. All 3 have had playoff tradition in the past, with PI dropping off some.
    West Oso and Robstown at the bottom, rest should be good battles between them.

It would be a pleasant surprise if we got 3rd in district but I don't see it happening.

All-American

There's just a lot of questions with Rio Hondo and Port Isabel....missing basically a year is really going to hurt those two.....Raymondville had more of a season last year, but they also lost a really good group of seniors...Its Sinton, Rockport and then a big gap....

Hello !

Quote Originally Posted by footballgal View Post
    Hello !
    Hey footballgal. Miss posting from 956 posters and hopefully some find their way over here now we're in the same district.

Sinton, Rockport top 2 spots. Raymondville #3. 4TH is a big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG69 View Post
    Sinton, Rockport top 2 spots. Raymondville #3. 4TH is a big question mark.
    Raymondville lost a lot but always make the playoffs for a while now so most likely get one of the spots. PI i think might make a push for one of the spots. Rockport returns just about as much as Sinton they'll challenge for the top spot.

Sinton sub varsity vs Kingsville sub varsity
    Sinton Fr 4 Kingsville JV 0
    Sinton JV 1 Kingsville JV 0

I'll put up varsity game highlight later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Hey footballgal. Miss posting from 956 posters and hopefully some find their way over here now we're in the same district.
    Yeah hopefully! I miss it too glad I still had my log in credentials here!

6A891AA7-998C-413F-8388-0642093299A9.jpeg
    Large number of starters returning for Tarpons

Claire Cruz
    Aug 17, 2021 9:31 PM
    By CLAIRE CRUZ, Staff Writer

The Port Isabel Tarpons played just one game last year before COVID-19 protocols forced their season to abruptly end.

This year, they return 11 starters — six on offense and five on defense — and the talent that gives endless effort has Tarpons coach Tony Villarreal fired up for what’s to come.

Port Isabel got started on a strong note by competing well against Brownsville Pace in the season’s first scrimmage. The teams were tied after the first controlled portions, but a few injuries to the Tarpons made the difference in the end. Villarreal said there are around 35 kids suiting up for varsity — though that number has been rising slowly — and he expects it to continue as the first day of school nears.

“We hung in there. I think when we play people our own size and our own smell, we’ll be all right,” Villarreal said. “Offensively, we’re going to do what we’re going to do, we’re going to run the ball. I think we did well against a big 5A defense. I’m pretty happy there. Defensively, I was very pleasantly surprised. … I’m content with the progress, the pride, the hitting, the details, the recall from last year.”

Even with 23 lettermen returning, the Tarpons will be young on the offensive line. The unit will be led by senior center Hassiel Aguilar, but every other offensive lineman is a sophomore. Still, their willingness to learn and hard work has Villarreal confident they’ll be ready when contests start to count.

“Our offensive line looks really, really good. They’re all real young, but they’re coachable and they’re very precise and they’re detail kind of kids, and you can do a lot with that kind of athlete,” Villarreal said.

Villarreal said the Tarpons’ staff is still installing some things offensively and defensively, but overall he’s pleased with how much has been implemented already “without really having an offseason.” The defense is learning new schemes week by week to prepare for its upcoming opponent, which will be Santa Rosa this Friday.

Port Isabel will continue to learn, grow and improve as the coaches and athletes focus on their process. Villarreal consistently praises the heart and toughness Tarpons athletes have, and he expects those qualities to be just as present and beneficial this season as they have been in the past.

“We have an acronym for everything we teach,” Villarreal said. “For defense, it’s AAG — alignment, assignment and get off the ball. On offense, we have SAT — snap count, assignment and technique. We emphasize that all the time when we teach and make corrections. …

“The effort here is amazing,” he continued. “Now, whether we coach them and we adjust, and we get them in the right positions and the chemistry, that’s one thing. But these kids are just tough. There’s a lot of good things going. There’s a lot of good things we can build on.”

Quote Originally Posted by footballgal View Post
    6A891AA7-998C-413F-8388-0642093299A9.jpeg
    Large number of starters returning for Tarpons

Claire Cruz
    Aug 17, 2021 9:31 PM
    By CLAIRE CRUZ, Staff Writer

The Port Isabel Tarpons played just one game last year before COVID-19 protocols forced their season to abruptly end.

This year, they return 11 starters — six on offense and five on defense — and the talent that gives endless effort has Tarpons coach Tony Villarreal fired up for what’s to come.

Port Isabel got started on a strong note by competing well against Brownsville Pace in the season’s first scrimmage. The teams were tied after the first controlled portions, but a few injuries to the Tarpons made the difference in the end. Villarreal said there are around 35 kids suiting up for varsity — though that number has been rising slowly — and he expects it to continue as the first day of school nears.

“We hung in there. I think when we play people our own size and our own smell, we’ll be all right,” Villarreal said. “Offensively, we’re going to do what we’re going to do, we’re going to run the ball. I think we did well against a big 5A defense. I’m pretty happy there. Defensively, I was very pleasantly surprised. … I’m content with the progress, the pride, the hitting, the details, the recall from last year.”

Even with 23 lettermen returning, the Tarpons will be young on the offensive line. The unit will be led by senior center Hassiel Aguilar, but every other offensive lineman is a sophomore. Still, their willingness to learn and hard work has Villarreal confident they’ll be ready when contests start to count.

“Our offensive line looks really, really good. They’re all real young, but they’re coachable and they’re very precise and they’re detail kind of kids, and you can do a lot with that kind of athlete,” Villarreal said.

Villarreal said the Tarpons’ staff is still installing some things offensively and defensively, but overall he’s pleased with how much has been implemented already “without really having an offseason.” The defense is learning new schemes week by week to prepare for its upcoming opponent, which will be Santa Rosa this Friday.

Port Isabel will continue to learn, grow and improve as the coaches and athletes focus on their process. Villarreal consistently praises the heart and toughness Tarpons athletes have, and he expects those qualities to be just as present and beneficial this season as they have been in the past.

“We have an acronym for everything we teach,” Villarreal said. “For defense, it’s AAG — alignment, assignment and get off the ball. On offense, we have SAT — snap count, assignment and technique. We emphasize that all the time when we teach and make corrections. …

“The effort here is amazing,” he continued. “Now, whether we coach them and we adjust, and we get them in the right positions and the chemistry, that’s one thing. But these kids are just tough. There’s a lot of good things going. There’s a lot of good things we can build on.”
    Thanks for posting, looks like PI is heading right direction with new former coach back.