Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
Safe travels, I hope to see few more games and trying to be off for PI game in few weeks.
Ok, took me a while to get around to this, so my apologies for the delay. Anyhow, thoughts after Week 3 in D16 DII...

Rio Hondo: CALLED IT! There was a reason why I said I wasn't impressed with their 2 blowout wins over cupcake level 5A/6A teams. They finally faced a team with a good defense in Brownsville Rivera and got shut down. This knocks them down a few pegs, IMHO.

Raymondville: Won another close game, this time over 3A DI Lyford 22-16 (according to Hudl, I've seen 28-7 on other sources). Lyford is an average team at best, with wins over 2A D1 La Villa, and 3A DII Santa Rosa. Also, from what little film I've seen of Raymondville (they are BAD about posting video on Hudl) they look nowhere near as good as they were the past few seasons They also seem very slow on Defense as Lyford's offense (from what I could see) had a definite speed advantage over Raymondville.

Port Isabel: Beat Aransas Pass rather convincingly 41-7. It was 35-0 at the half, though it would have been 42-0 at the half had a beautiful 76 yard TD run not been called back on a holding call. The 2nd team O scored once early in the 3rd to make it 41-0 (missed PAT) then it was a mix of Freshmen and JV for the rest of the game. While on paper, only putting up 41 points on AP doesn't look as good as 76 or 68 (Rockport & Ingleside) it shows that the HFC for Port Isabel cares about getting his youngsters some reps. While that is great for future seasons, it has it's flaw that the starters have yet to play a full 4 quarters of a football game. That MIGHT hurt them later in the season when they begin playing the tougher 4A DII teams. But for now, we'll relish the fact the Tarpons are 3-0 for the first time since 2016 and are looking great on both offense and defense.

Ingleside: IDLE (@99IHSMustang: Was this Ingleside's scheduled BYE week? Or was the game cancelled?)

Robstown: Won a close 30-24 game over Banquete last week. I will say this about Robstown. They're showing some spunk. I'm glad that they're showing improvement, but the teams that they've playing, to be blunt, are pretty poor quality teams. I fear that when Robstown begins district play, they'll be brought back to reality rather quickly. Coincidentally, their first district game is against Port Isabel (3-0) on 9/24

West Oso: They are 0-3. While the Bears have been competitive in all 3 games, they have all come against lower classification schools. That's not a good look for the Bears, and I've a feeling they will struggle for wins in district play. Will they be competitive? Sure, absolutely! With their speed, that will always keep them in some games, but not against the upper crust teams in the district.

Sinton: A close 34-30 loss against a very good CC Miller team last week. Despite the loss, I still have Sinton as a top team in the district. The injury bug seems to be nibbling on Sinton this year which isn't good for them. The BYE Week should help them get healthy assuming none of the injuries aren't too serious.

Rockport: Beat Tuloso-Midway so convincingly that Tuloso-Midway doesn't have any offensive highlights from the Rockport game on their Hudl. The score was 28-7 btw.....and the Rockport Pirates are 3-0 and looking good heading into district play.

My current D16 4A DII Rankings heading into district play.

1. Rockport (3-0)
2. Sinton (2-1)
3. Port Isabel (3-0)
4. Ingleside (2-0)
5. Rio Hondo (2-1)
6. Raymondville (2-1)
7. Robstown (2-1)
8. CC West Oso (0-3)