Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Safe travels, I hope to see few more games and trying to be off for PI game in few weeks.
    Ok, took me a while to get around to this, so my apologies for the delay. Anyhow, thoughts after Week 3 in D16 DII...

Rio Hondo: CALLED IT! There was a reason why I said I wasn't impressed with their 2 blowout wins over cupcake level 5A/6A teams. They finally faced a team with a good defense in Brownsville Rivera and got shut down. This knocks them down a few pegs, IMHO.

Raymondville: Won another close game, this time over 3A DI Lyford 22-16 (according to Hudl, I've seen 28-7 on other sources). Lyford is an average team at best, with wins over 2A D1 La Villa, and 3A DII Santa Rosa. Also, from what little film I've seen of Raymondville (they are BAD about posting video on Hudl) they look nowhere near as good as they were the past few seasons They also seem very slow on Defense as Lyford's offense (from what I could see) had a definite speed advantage over Raymondville.

Port Isabel: Beat Aransas Pass rather convincingly 41-7. It was 35-0 at the half, though it would have been 42-0 at the half had a beautiful 76 yard TD run not been called back on a holding call. The 2nd team O scored once early in the 3rd to make it 41-0 (missed PAT) then it was a mix of Freshmen and JV for the rest of the game. While on paper, only putting up 41 points on AP doesn't look as good as 76 or 68 (Rockport & Ingleside) it shows that the HFC for Port Isabel cares about getting his youngsters some reps. While that is great for future seasons, it has it's flaw that the starters have yet to play a full 4 quarters of a football game. That MIGHT hurt them later in the season when they begin playing the tougher 4A DII teams. But for now, we'll relish the fact the Tarpons are 3-0 for the first time since 2016 and are looking great on both offense and defense.

Ingleside: IDLE (@99IHSMustang: Was this Ingleside's scheduled BYE week? Or was the game cancelled?)

Robstown: Won a close 30-24 game over Banquete last week. I will say this about Robstown. They're showing some spunk. I'm glad that they're showing improvement, but the teams that they've playing, to be blunt, are pretty poor quality teams. I fear that when Robstown begins district play, they'll be brought back to reality rather quickly. Coincidentally, their first district game is against Port Isabel (3-0) on 9/24

West Oso: They are 0-3. While the Bears have been competitive in all 3 games, they have all come against lower classification schools. That's not a good look for the Bears, and I've a feeling they will struggle for wins in district play. Will they be competitive? Sure, absolutely! With their speed, that will always keep them in some games, but not against the upper crust teams in the district.

Sinton: A close 34-30 loss against a very good CC Miller team last week. Despite the loss, I still have Sinton as a top team in the district. The injury bug seems to be nibbling on Sinton this year which isn't good for them. The BYE Week should help them get healthy assuming none of the injuries aren't too serious.

Rockport: Beat Tuloso-Midway so convincingly that Tuloso-Midway doesn't have any offensive highlights from the Rockport game on their Hudl. The score was 28-7 btw.....and the Rockport Pirates are 3-0 and looking good heading into district play.

My current D16 4A DII Rankings heading into district play.

1. Rockport (3-0)
    2. Sinton (2-1)
    3. Port Isabel (3-0)
    4. Ingleside (2-0)
    5. Rio Hondo (2-1)
    6. Raymondville (2-1)
    7. Robstown (2-1)
    8. CC West Oso (0-3)

All-American

Ingleside had their Bye week, last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 99IHSMustang View Post
    Ingleside had their Bye week, last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok cool, thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure.

Sinton hasn't even used Rylan Galvan this season, it has given Rene Galvan to show he can produce like his twin brother. Sinton should be at full strength hopefully going into district. DCTF has them at #10.
    Sinton going to Rockport in 2nd district matchup and then Port Isabel. 2 unbeaten teams Sinton will have to take down in district and should.

1.Sinton
    2. Rockport Fulton
    3. Ingleside
    4. Port Isabel
    5. Rio Hondo
    6. Raymondville
    7. Robstown
    8. West Oso

i can see some 3 way tie for either 3rd and 4th or for 4th going into last district game.

i should of waited to see how Ingleside does against Gonzales, if they do well and win by good margin they should be a playoff team if they drop that game might flip PI and Ingleside with RH a shot at 4th.

Practice Squad

What’s the real story on Rylan? I’m hearing he might be moving to a pretty light load to help prevent further injury. I’m sure the baseball coaches at UT have some preference on this.

Hope to see Sinton at full strength soon. Also hope to see Rylan playing for the Horns in a big way.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    i should of waited to see how Ingleside does against Gonzales, if they do well and win by good margin they should be a playoff team if they drop that game might flip PI and Ingleside with RH a shot at 4th.
    That's why I didn't make any comment about Ingleside in my post. Also it was their BYE Week. Let's see how they do against Gonzales first.

I am not convinced that Ingleside is a contender for a playoff spot yet. Their 2 victories are against 3A Div1 teams. One of those was Aransas Pass so it really doesn't count. If they can beat Gonzales then I might be more convinced of their legitimacy.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RkptFltn View Post
    What’s the real story on Rylan? I’m hearing he might be moving to a pretty light load to help prevent further injury. I’m sure the baseball coaches at UT have some preference on this.

Hope to see Sinton at full strength soon. Also hope to see Rylan playing for the Horns in a big way.
    Well if that's the case about Rylan then maybe he needs to drop out of football and concentrate on baseball. If he is 100% ready to go then Coach Troutman is going to have him in the lineup. He may get spelled more by his backup but he will be in that backfield. And I also think Rylan would rather be playing than standing on the sidelines. I'm not too familiar with his injury, mainly because nobody talks about the injuries of the players. Everything you hear is nothing but rumors anyhow.

All-American

Ok I’m impressed with what Ingleside is doing right now.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post
    Ok I’m impressed with what Ingleside is doing right now.
    I think it was a quality win. Hopefully this carries over into district. Ingleside really needs to work on eliminating a lot of penalty yards. Maybe they can play with a chip on their shoulder and actually compete for something more than a 3rd or 4th playoff spot.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 99IHSMustang View Post
    I think it was a quality win. Hopefully this carries over into district. Ingleside really needs to work on eliminating a lot of penalty yards. Maybe they can play with a chip on their shoulder and actually compete for something more than a 3rd or 4th playoff spot.
    As it stands now, I’d put Port Isabel and Ingleside a very close and interchangeable 3 & 4 in the district heading into district play.

Some defensive highlights from scrimmages to week 3 on Sinton Pirates. Offensive highlights hopefully tomorrow,

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post
    As it stands now, I’d put Port Isabel and Ingleside a very close and interchangeable 3 & 4 in the district heading into district play.
    yes both look ready to compete for more than a 4th spot and wouldn't rule out Rio Hondo and Raymondville in that mix. Good district almost no big drop off in the teams.

District Game #1 matchups

West Oso at Sinton
    Rockport-Fulton at Raymondville
    Ingleside at Rio Hondo
    Port Isabel at Robstown