Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Well, the word is our sophomore QB should be able to play this week. Was injured in the 1st half. Before that was struggling a bit with Cuero's stingy secondary and pass rush. Got a bit careless with the ball and fumbled away a sure td. This kid is going to be really good. Lampasas comes to town this week. Texans will be ready. Defense will need to be solid while this offense finds its way.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

All-American

Watched a good portion of Wimberley-Cuero on TexanLive....turnovers really hurt Wimberley and I thought Cuero's speed really caused Wimberley some problems...big plays and then the INTs looked from the broadcast like the QB was just a little late with the ball and Cuero's DB's closed quickly....Cuero is legit and that makes R4 fun because I think you've got 3 outstanding teams at the top

I agree. Would have loved to have seen how our QB responded in the 2nd half. Region-4 crown will certainly be up for grabs.

All-American

Region IV is going to be really fun to watch come playoff time. Between Cuero, Wimberley and Sinton ... there's bound to be some very fun matchups. Not to mention, Navarro cannot be discounted against those aforementioned teams. That'll be such an exciting region to watch, in my opinion.
    Texas Forever.

Looks like our sophomore QB McCollum will be a game day decision. Probably will not play. This would mean our 3rd string will start the game.

All-District
    Blog Entries

Moses, warm up please.

Turns out McCollum did start and man did he perform. 4 TD passes. 16 0f 23 with close to 400 yds. No ints. Texans with 600 yds of total offense. Will say the Badger offense is still legit.

All-District

WIMBERLEY — Wimberley knew it would have the chance to make big plays in the passing game Friday, it was just a matter of executing.

It’s safe to say the Texans might have even exceeded their own expectations.

Sophomore quarterback Cash McCollum threw for 382 yards and four touchdowns and Wimberley produced nine plays of at least 30 yards as it rolled up nearly 600 yards of offense during a 45-21 win over Lampasas at Texans Stadium.

“We watched a bunch of film, knew they were going to send pressure, but our offensive line did a great job and gave me a bunch of time to let my receivers make plays,” said McCollum, who at one point completed eight passes in a row and has the potential to be one of Central Texas’ star quarterbacks the next two years. “All my teammates were building me up for the game and that made me confident going in. This is a great win because last week we didn’t play our best and this week we shut down a pretty good team.”

With the Badgers playing an aggressive, blitzing defense that puts eight defenders in the box and leaves its corners on an island, the Texans knew they’d be pushing the ball down field in the air most of the night.

McCollum completed six passes of at least 35 yards, including touchdowns passes of 45, 58 and 98 yards.

“We knew what they were going to play defensively and you have to challenge them and win those battles on the outside,” Wimberley coach Doug Warren said. “We did that and were able to continually do that. I’m proud of the kids for battling, making some tough catches and of our quarterback for putting the ball right on the money.”

On defense, the Texans gave up chunks of yardage and a couple of long touchdowns in the first half, but they also made two interceptions and for the most part contained the Badgers after halftime. Following two third-quarter scores that pushed its lead to 38-14, the game for all intents and purposes was over and marked a nice bounceback for Wimberley from last week’s 21-3 loss to Cuero.

“We know that our nondistrict games are what prepare us for championship playoff games,” Warren said. “We play really good teams — like Lampasas — in nondistrict and I’m proud of our kids for raising their level. I think we took another step tonight — and to me that’s the growth of our team.”

More:Wimberley, hit with turnovers and penalties, falls to Cuero

Lampasas (1-2) opened the scoring with a 76-yard pass from Dylan Sanchez to Nate Borchardt on the game’s third play from scrimmage.

Wimberley (2-1) answered with McCollum’s 58-yard bomb to Dylan Kincaid, then took the lead later in the first quarter on Moses Wray’s 2-yard touchdown run.

Case Brister sprinted into the end zone from the 40 for Lampasas to tie the game at 14-14 midway through the second quarter, but McCollum’s 2-yard TD pass to Kincaid a short time later gave the Texans the lead for good.

McCollum’s scoring strikes to Juan Olmedo (45 yards) and Tru Couch (98 yards) in the third quarter put the game out of reach.

Brister — who ended with 136 yards on the ground — crossed the goal line from the 15 and Wray had a 51-yard TD jaunt to finish out the scoring in the fourth.

Sanchez threw for 259 yards and Borchardt ended with nine catches for 177 yards for the Badgers, who are still trying to find themselves after losing a talented senior class.

More:See which Austin-area high school football teams won in Week 2

“Wimberley came out with a great plan, executed it well and we didn’t,” Lampasas coach Troy Rogers said. “Turnovers and penalties will kill you and it’s hard to overcome those things. All you can do from games like this and opponents like this is get better from it. We’ll watch film, and hopefully we’re better next week.”

Couch had 133 yards receiving and Olmedo hauled in six passes for 85 yards to lead the Texans receivers.

Wray ended with 84 yards rushing.
    statesman

All-District
    Blog Entries

Badgers were a good team. Very good and large o-line, kept their qb clean most of the night and opened holes for the run.

Texans travel to Fredericksburg this week to take on the Battlin Billies. As far as injuries go we appear pretty healthy. Fred is (3-0) with wins over Gonzales (42-18), Tivy (44-27), and Sam Houston (56-6). I know it's still early in the season but these three teams have a combined record of 1-7. Tivy is not the Tivy of old. Sam Houston..well can't seem to get by the 1st round of the playoffs...ever. Gonzales is still finding its way. As for the Texans (2-1) they defeated Dripping Springs (20-3), lost to Cuero (21-3) and beat Lampasas (45-21). Combined record of these teams is (6-3). With that said, I'm sure Fredericksburg will be ready for this one and will be primed for an upset. Texans squeaked out a 21-20 win last year here in Wimberley. Was looking for J. Beard on the Fred. roster but was not there. Swore he was a jr last year. Talented family line of football players that wore the Billie uniform. He's the last one I think. Look for #10 Cole Immel (Sr) to lead the way at QB with a talented rb #12 Jesse Leija (Jr) averaging 12 yds per carry with over 500 total yds in 3 games. #4 Kade Jenske is another talent to keep an eye on. For Wimberley, rb Moses Wray should have another one of those stellar games as he did against a salty Cuero defense and I believe #2 Colby Gold will have a break out performance at WR. He's been injured and working his way back into the lineup. Code Red defense will be up for the challenge. Go Texans!

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post
    Texans travel to Fredericksburg this week to take on the Battlin Billies. As far as injuries go we appear pretty healthy. Fred is (3-0) with wins over Gonzales (42-18), Tivy (44-27), and Sam Houston (56-6). I know it's still early in the season but these three teams have a combined record of 1-7. Tivy is not the Tivy of old. Sam Houston..well can't seem to get by the 1st round of the playoffs...ever. Gonzales is still finding its way. As for the Texans (2-1) they defeated Dripping Springs (20-3), lost to Cuero (21-3) and beat Lampasas (45-21). Combined record of these teams is (6-3). With that said, I'm sure Fredericksburg will be ready for this one and will be primed for an upset. Texans squeaked out a 21-20 win last year here in Wimberley. Was looking for J. Beard on the Fred. roster but was not there. Swore he was a jr last year. Talented family line of football players that wore the Billie uniform. He's the last one I think. Look for #10 Cole Immel (Sr) to lead the way at QB with a talented rb #12 Jesse Leija (Jr) averaging 12 yds per carry with over 500 total yds in 3 games. #4 Kade Jenske is another talent to keep an eye on. For Wimberley, rb Moses Wray should have another one of those stellar games as he did against a salty Cuero defense and I believe #2 Colby Gold will have a break out performance at WR. He's been injured and working his way back into the lineup. Code Red defense will be up for the challenge. Go Texans!
    Who wrote this? Dripping Springs?

Texans defeated Canyon Lake 20-3. Not sure what happened there but I'm sure it was for your enjoyment.

All-District
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tejastrue View Post
    Billies were a below average team last year, they do have virtually all their starters back this year. Still, I'll be surprised if Wimbo doesn't run away with this game. Will Tyler suit up tomorrow?

All-District
    Blog Entries

Last spring at 7 on 7 Fred person said the Beard kid had moved to Eastland (I think).

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by stardog View Post
    Last spring at 7 on 7 Fred person said the Beard kid had moved to Eastland (I think).
    https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jud...ball/stats.htm