Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All-American

I have video on every play of the game. I wish I could say you were right, cowboy, but all three of those interceptions were on him - two were bad throws and one was a bad decision to throw into traffic.

That's not to say he wasn't under pressure, but he wasn't on those three plays. The more important thing you did was to shut down his running lanes. He usually escapes for 20-or-more yard gains several times a game. Last night he never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    I have video on every play of the game. I wish I could say you were right, cowboy, but all three of those interceptions were on him - two were bad throws and one was a bad decision to throw into traffic.

That's not to say he wasn't under pressure, but he wasn't on those three plays. The more important thing you did was to shut down his running lanes. He usually escapes for 20-or-more yard gains several times a game. Last night he never did.
    As you know Cowboys analysis is not highly regarded except by the biggest Bulldog homers!

All-District

Oldtownag
    Everything I said was correct.
    I to went back and watch the three INT’S.
    The receivers were blanketed and pressure was not there when threw the INT’S but is was coming.
    It was a total domination on both sides of the ball.
    Gilmer will be fine and go deep in the playoffs.
    The Dawgs will be better but they are going to be something special by the time the playoffs get here.

No shame in being a homer! You do however pour it on thicker than most!

All-American

Since I posted, I have now heard that Tennison was supposed to throw it to a specific spot on the field, which is what he did (although it appears to me the interception intended for Hurt was clearly an overthrow on Tennison's part). So, yes, you could say that the secondary caused at least one of them.

The other was just a bad decision. He threw to a specific part of the field, all right. But there was one Gilmer player in the vicinity and about three Carthage defenders. Those are not good odds. At that point, you just don't make the throw.

It really doesn't matter. We were beaten very badly in the trenches. Our defense had no answer for that huge o-line, and our offense had a lot of trouble keeping pressure off our QB. We were thoroughly dominated in the trenches, which means we were dominated on the scoreboard, too.

I was really hoping we could at least make a game of it, but we couldn't do anything to make stops in the first half, nor were we able to be consistent on offense. They spread their d-line out past our tackles most of the time and sent at least one LB about half the time. We never knew where they were coming from. Carthage is a very disciplined team within their schemes on both sides of the ball. They did have some unsportsmanlike conduct, but I look for Surratt to nip that in the bud in practice this week.

I look for Pleasant Grove to give them a better game, but I don't see them beating this year's Carthage team unless they have numerous turnovers. Carthage definitely looked like the defending state champions in this one.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post
    Yall got off to a slow start.
    Lol! Sho nuff...
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Apart from dominating on both the offensive/defensive fronts, one HUGE thing Carthage did consistently was keep Tennison bottled up. With five wide and numbers at the line, Tennison still couldn't get past the first level, even on designed QB draws. That impressed me as much as anything. If he had been able to use his feet, it's likely a closer game.

Tennison did have consistent success with a rolling pocket, attacking the intermediate routes along the outside. The middle was all but impenetrable. But the Buckeyes gained decent yards along the outside, especially with Tennison on the run. Something I'm sure Gibson and Co. took a good look at over the weekend.

PG may not beat Carthage, but they matchup better than Gilmer did, simply because they can match Carthage's physicality, where Gilmer just couldn't do it. I don't THINK PG will get manhandled in the trenches, and fortunately for the Hawks, their guys are big enough to handle Horton, if they can get to him. But it's going to be a tall task for the Hawks, no question.

The good news for Gilmer, I guess, is they won't face another team all year that's on Carthage's level.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post
    As you know Cowboys analysis is not highly regarded except by the biggest Bulldog homers!
    Its not regarded at all by me. Jeez he's a motor mouth.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Apart from dominating on both the offensive/defensive fronts, one HUGE thing Carthage did consistently was keep Tennison bottled up. With five wide and numbers at the line, Tennison still couldn't get past the first level, even on designed QB draws. That impressed me as much as anything. If he had been able to use his feet, it's likely a closer game.

Tennison did have consistent success with a rolling pocket, attacking the intermediate routes along the outside. The middle was all but impenetrable. But the Buckeyes gained decent yards along the outside, especially with Tennison on the run. Something I'm sure Gibson and Co. took a good look at over the weekend.

PG may not beat Carthage, but they matchup better than Gilmer did, simply because they can match Carthage's physicality, where Gilmer just couldn't do it. I don't THINK PG will get manhandled in the trenches, and fortunately for the Hawks, their guys are big enough to handle Horton, if they can get to him. But it's going to be a tall task for the Hawks, no question.

The good news for Gilmer, I guess, is they won't face another team all year that's on Carthage's level.
    unless PG can sling it all over the field they are in trouble too. You are not running consistently on Carthage.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    unless PG can sling it all over the field they are in trouble too. You are not running consistently on Carthage.
    I don't know that slinging it all over the field is the framework to beat Carthage. Gilmer can sling it all over the field too, but it didn't amount to anything other than two perfect throws and two fantastic catches for two scores. The Bulldogs' best playmakers are in their secondary, in my opinion. Gilmer couldn't run it against Carthage because they couldn't match Carthage's strength or physicality up front, and the offensive line was going backwards as soon as the ball was snapped. Pleasant Grove stands a better chance there. They have the strength and physicality to match the Bulldogs. It still might not be enough, but they're a better matchup against Carthage than Gilmer was.

And like I said, PG won't need to sling it all over the yard, but they will need to complete about 5-10 of those play action passes, and they'll need a few of those to go for big-time plays. I said this over on Smoaky too, but I think the bulk of those passes they complete will have to come on non-traditional passing plays. They'll have to hope they catch the secondary peaking into the backfield. If they can do that, it might give loosen up the box and give the Hawks numbers, and maybe they can grind out their 4-5 yards at a time style. If nothing else, it might slow the game down enough to keep it low-scoring, which I think it has to be for the Hawks to have a chance.
    Texas Forever.