Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default Its Carthage @ Gilmer time

1-0 Dawgs roll into 4-0 Gilmer Friday night (hopefully). Carthage only one game and Buckeyes have the offense rolling. I believe we can put up a good fight against that stingy Carthage defense. Hope I can get a dang ticket!!!!
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

We will certainly be able to tell where we are as a team in this one. The Carthage D is the real deal. They also have plenty of weapons on offense. In order to have any chance of winning, the Buckeyes will have to eliminate the turnovers, bad snaps, and minimize penalties. The good news is our offense looks like the offenses of old. We still have some weaknesses on our defense that need a lot of work. I definitely like the fire the Buckeyes play with this year. They never give up, even when down by three touchdowns, they still believe they can win. They certainly can't afford to get behind by that much against teams like Carthage, though.

One advantage the Buckeyes do have is they have 4 games under their belt, whereas Carthage has only one. There's nothing like playing against an opponent as opposed to practicing. I hope that will help.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

What a game. World circumstances being what they are, this one ought to get you going and excited!

It's hard to tell what to expect from Carthage, to be honest, and I say that relatively speaking. Obviously, we know a Scott Surratt team is going to be well-coached. We know Carthage will not be short on talent by any means. A big-time QB with a big-time arm and plenty of targets to spread the ball around to. Maybe they don't have the explosive playmaker that they've had the past few years, but the offense is just so dang efficient.

As far as the Carthage defense, it's just really hard to gauge what they've got. Size, yes. Speed, yes. Discipline, yes. But this is a one-game sample size against a Kilgore offense that is not bad, but not even close to Gilmer-level. The Buckeyes have an embarrassment of riches on offense ... and they're not even 100% healthy yet. Gilmer is good enough to score on Carthage

Gilmer's defense looks like it's made marked improvements over the past few seasons. They have size, speed and they've got some hard-hitting ball hawks. They're still giving up some big plays and some big numbers. BUT, they've made some really good halftime adjustments, like last week against Lindale. That's all well and good, until you play a team like Carthage that understands how to counter those second-half adjustments with new wrinkles of their own.

I think this will be a fairly high-scoring game. If there's a team that can keep Gilmer under 40, it's Carthage, and I think the Bulldogs will have to do that in order to win. If Carthage was playing their fifth game on Friday, I'd probably lean towards them. Right now, though, I see Gilmer pulling out the win in a shootout. I think the game experience the Buckeyes have right now will pay some dividends. Practice is great, but you can't simulate that game speed, no matter what kind of experience you have. I think it makes a difference on Friday.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

^^^we have 1 believer!!! Our offense is amazing with Tennison at the helm. He is a dynamic player who makes everyone around him better.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    ^^^we have 1 believer!!! Our offense is amazing with Tennison at the helm. He is a dynamic player who makes everyone around him better.
    Tennison is very good at QB. And Hurt has developed into a big-time playmaker at receiver. Throw in the Fluellen boys (if you can keep both healthy) along with a number of supporting characters, and you've got an offense that is a nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators. If the Buckeyes clean up those first-half mistakes, they're going to be a tough out for anybody. I think Gilmer could take back the district title this year, too. If they watched the Argyle/PG stream, the Buckeyes had to be licking their chops. The framework for beating the Hawks was laid out.
    Texas Forever.

Dawgs by 21!
    Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

live stream?
    stephenville game thursday night so looking for a good one friday...

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    live stream?
    stephenville game thursday night so looking for a good one friday...
    Here's the link. Just hit live stream. It will be video streamed. Warning: they are homers.

https://ghs.gilmerisd.org/247512_2
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownag View Post
    Dawgs by 21!
    You "could" be right, but I certainly hope not. I look for a closer game.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    You "could" be right, but I certainly hope not. I look for a closer game.
    If Gilmer lets Carthage get a jump like they spotted Lindale, then it won't be close. But if the Buckeyes can button up the first half, they can for sure win. They'll have just as good of athletes on the field as the Bulldogs. Carthage will have the better offensive line, I think, but apart from that, Gilmer has the guys to run with the Bulldogs.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    If Gilmer lets Carthage get a jump like they spotted Lindale, then it won't be close. But if the Buckeyes can button up the first half, they can for sure win. They'll have just as good of athletes on the field as the Bulldogs. Carthage will have the better offensive line, I think, but apart from that, Gilmer has the guys to run with the Bulldogs.
    I agree. We most definitely can't afford to get off to a slow start like we have been doing in the last three games. That worries me for sure. We certainly can't afford to spot a team like Carthage a 2 or 3 TD lead and expect to come back. I would love to see this year's team put together 4 whole quarters of their best football. If that happens we definitely have at least a chance at the upset.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    I agree. We most definitely can't afford to get off to a slow start like we have been doing in the last three games. That worries me for sure. We certainly can't afford to spot a team like Carthage a 2 or 3 TD lead and expect to come back. I would love to see this year's team put together 4 whole quarters of their best football. If that happens we definitely have at least a chance at the upset.
    Yall got off to a slow start.
    Carthage Bulldogs

2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

9 X State Football Champs

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    What a game. World circumstances being what they are, this one ought to get you going and excited!

It's hard to tell what to expect from Carthage, to be honest, and I say that relatively speaking. Obviously, we know a Scott Surratt team is going to be well-coached. We know Carthage will not be short on talent by any means. A big-time QB with a big-time arm and plenty of targets to spread the ball around to. Maybe they don't have the explosive playmaker that they've had the past few years, but the offense is just so dang efficient.

As far as the Carthage defense, it's just really hard to gauge what they've got. Size, yes. Speed, yes. Discipline, yes. But this is a one-game sample size against a Kilgore offense that is not bad, but not even close to Gilmer-level. The Buckeyes have an embarrassment of riches on offense ... and they're not even 100% healthy yet. Gilmer is good enough to score on Carthage

Gilmer's defense looks like it's made marked improvements over the past few seasons. They have size, speed and they've got some hard-hitting ball hawks. They're still giving up some big plays and some big numbers. BUT, they've made some really good halftime adjustments, like last week against Lindale. That's all well and good, until you play a team like Carthage that understands how to counter those second-half adjustments with new wrinkles of their own.

I think this will be a fairly high-scoring game. If there's a team that can keep Gilmer under 40, it's Carthage, and I think the Bulldogs will have to do that in order to win. If Carthage was playing their fifth game on Friday, I'd probably lean towards them. Right now, though, I see Gilmer pulling out the win in a shootout. I think the game experience the Buckeyes have right now will pay some dividends. Practice is great, but you can't simulate that game speed, no matter what kind of experience you have. I think it makes a difference on Friday.
    You drank the orange Kool-Aid. Gilmer doesn't have the defense (nor the offense tonight) to even make a game of it with a team like Carthage. Fortunately, there aren't too many other teams like Carthage in 4A D2 .

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    You drank the orange Kool-Aid. Gilmer doesn't have the defense (nor the offense tonight) to even make a game of it with a team like Carthage. Fortunately, there aren't too many other teams like Carthage in 4A D2 .
    Oh I drink orange kool-aid, alright. But it’s orange and white, not orange and black. I said in my next post that if Gilmer spotted Carthage a first-half like they spotted Lindale, it would be a blowout.

The Buckeyes defense did make adjustments in the second half and played much better and held the Bulldogs to 14 points. But then it was too late.

Carthage won this game in the trenches. That offensive line manhandled Gilmer, and they’re gonna manhandle a lot of teams. And the defensive line did the same thing. The Bulldogs secondary is quick and disciplined. It looked like Carthage was playing defense with about 20 guys out there at times.

Carthage isn’t unbeatable, I’ll say that. But you’ll need to match their physicality and discipline and play about as perfect a game as possible to beat them.

All-District

The 2020 version of the Dawgs was on display last night.
    The O line and D line dominated Gilmore.
    Horton (Dawg QB) had all day to find his receivers and the big hogs made holes big enough to drive a truck through.
    Courtney had 200 yards rushing and Horton threw for over 200.
    The Dawg defense is faster and than last year. They were in the back field all night forcing Gilmer to throw 3 INT’S.
    Gilmer had many three and outs.
    I think they held Gilmer to less than 40 yards rushing.
    Gilmer did have some success passing but their receivers Had to make tuff catches and got lit up when they did.
    The Dawg D is for real.
    Gilmer has the best on side kicker I have seen. He can make that ball bounce perfect.
    The Dawgs had two touch downs called back, and two passes , one 45 yard pass dropped with no one within 15 yards, and another pass over thrown to a wide open receiver that ran by the secondary.
    The Dawgs will be tested next week against PG.
    Should be a hard hitting slobber knocker.