Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Football

Quote Originally Posted by Celina8 View Post
    Was texted by friends of mine that Celina and Boerne will play each other on Friday Oct 2 in San Antonio. Wow , that is quite a traveling trip for my Bobcats especially on a Friday . I wish it was being played on Saturday and they were meeting in Temple or Waco as to me Celina is accepting the bulk of the travel and expenses that come with this trip to play a non -district game .
    2 more hr drive could of played Sinton in Sinton. Pirates looking for Oct. 2nd opponent.

Starter

You all need to play Refugio as they are just right there and I think that used to be a big rivalry many years ago! (Actually you might already have them scheduled ! LOL)

Pleasanton’s football practices were shut down due to virus
    Ingleside shut down indefinitely and Kenedy til Aug 27th

All-American

Oh wow that is great then. I really wish this was being played on Saturday but hopefully work will not be such that I cannot make it to the game .

Well nothing beats seeing a game in person, but with the UIL lifting the restriction on streaming Friday night games this season, you should get a chance to see this one — and possibly all Bobcats football games — through some type of webcast. I haven't heard anything about Celina's plans for streaming. I don't know if Mark and Roy, who handle the radio play-by-play/color, would consider doing the same thing, just with video now, or not. I really wish I still lived in the area, because with my background in Broadcast Journalism, I'd love to take the reins on the whole thing. If the schools are forward thinking enough and have the means to do it, they could incorporate the Friday night streaming into their journalism/media class curriculum.
    Texas Forever.

Starter

It sounds like to me from what you just described this will be the future of High School football at some point and I too would love to be able to pay a season fee to login and watch my home team play on Friday night . You should at least pitch the idea to them and who knows even with you living out of state you might be able to still make this work. Give it some thought !

Starter

Boerne is a big 4A, just shy of 1200 enrollment. That is who Celina needs to be playing. They'll be better than Bryan Adams.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Twirling Time View Post
    Boerne is a big 4A, just shy of 1200 enrollment. That is who Celina needs to be playing. They'll be better than Bryan Adams.
    Agreed. Celina’s non-district slate is pretty solid this year. Paul Pewitt is iffy, but I guess they were state runner up a year ago.

I still wish the Bobcats would play Sherman or Denison. Won’t happen, until Celina catches them in enrollment, but still, would be a good matchup.

this will be the future of High School football at some point and I too would love to be able to pay a season fee to login and watch my home team play on Friday night .
    Unless UIL can figure how they can make their money off football (more than the fan's in the stands format) ---live streaming will only be a one year option, as they stated.
    YnoT us?

All-American

UIL doesnt make money off regular season games...the revenue and rights belong to the schools....
    Ironically the UIL makes all their money off playoff games which they do allow streaming (except the state title games)

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Agreed. Celina’s non-district slate is pretty solid this year. Paul Pewitt is iffy, but I guess they were state runner up a year ago.

I still wish the Bobcats would play Sherman or Denison. Won’t happen, until Celina catches them in enrollment, but still, would be a good matchup.
    Celina and Denison might be in the same district in 4 years. Sherman ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT play Celina until they have to.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Twirling Time View Post
    Celina and Denison might be in the same district in 4 years. Sherman ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT play Celina until they have to.

Well, that's too bad lol! Celina vs. Denison would be fairly competitive, I think ... until the Bobcats catch the Jackets in enrollment, then maybe not so much.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

That used to be THE game to see every year. Be nice to see them play each other again but doubt that ever happens.

Starter

Was told by a friend who went to the Celina / Decatur scrimmage that both teams really worked on their passing game , and that both sides worked a lot of different players at several position. He said both teams were rusty since they basically did not have a chance for spring training or 7 on 7 and that the Coaches kept the play calling very basic . He said Celina has good size on the line and seemed to be very quick on defense . Neither team ran the ball much as he was not sure as to why , but that both teams had great effort and positive moments on both side of the ball . He said it was different to see the distance that people sat in the stands as he is used to seeing people sitting beside each other as they visit and watch the game.

All-American

Was told by a friend who went to the Celina / Decatur scrimmage that both teams really worked on their passing game , and that both sides worked a lot of different players at several position. He said both teams were rusty since they basically did not have a chance for spring training or 7 on 7 and that the Coaches kept the play calling very basic . He said Celina has good size on the line and seemed to be very quick on defense . Neither team ran the ball much as he was not sure as to why , but that both teams had great effort and positive moments on both side of the ball . He said it was different to see the distance that people sat in the stands as he is used to seeing people sitting beside each other as they visit and watch the game.

Good to hear another perspective. A couple of folks I talked to said the Bobcats' passing game looked pretty good, given no 7-on-7 and breaking in a new — albeit senior — quarterback. Reagan Davenport will take over under center, and he will be the best passing QB Celina has had for quite some time. The kid can spin the football. It could be that the coaches wanted to get him AMPLE reps against live varsity competition before Friday's opener against Melissa. Both people I talked to said he hooked up on a pair of lonnnng TD passes to 6'7 senior receiver DJ Dell'Anno. This young man was very under-utilized a year ago. But he's a matchup nightmare, so I suspect he'll get plenty of good looks this season. Collin Urich is another name to look out for at receiver, along with speedy Grayson Wester. The Bobcats have a lot of offensive weapons. The key will be that offensive line. They are HUGE and they can move pretty good. If they stay healthy, it will buy Davenport time to spread the ball around, which will open up running lanes for Martinez and company in the backfield. The problem last year was our OL was decimated by injury and just never could gel and figure things out. Poor Watson had no time to throw, and Logan Point — as good as he was — could only do so much. That really wore on and had a residual effect on the defense, too. Most of that defense is back, along with a trio of junior LBs that has potential to be great. The defensive line is very big and athletic, and the secondary has a ton of speed. The big takeaways I saw (on the very, very small bit of film I managed to see) on defense was how quick the Bobcats played, how physical they were, and how disciplined the defensive line looked for the first scrimmage.

One other thing to keep in mind is Celina will have a new offensive coordinator for the first time in a long time. Travis McClain takes over as the OC. He's a younger guy, but I believe he'll bring a dynamic to the Bobcats O that has been missing the past few years. He'll have some creative play calling, and I imagine we'll see the Bobcats spread it out more. But Celina is Celina, and they've got the personnel to get in a traditional full house backfield, or go "unbalanced" with their heavy package, and pound the football when need be.

All-in-all, this has the makings of the best team Celina's had since the 2015 state finalist. If they stay healthy, and if we can get a full season in amidst the current climate, I suspect we'll see the orange and white make AT LEAST a semifinal appearance. Long time until then, but there's a lot to like about this team, and plenty of reason for optimism.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

WOS vs La Vega canceled due to hurricane.. bummer.