Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-American

Default I've got a bad feeling...

Seeing all of the postponements of voluntary workouts, I'm having a hard time believing that high school football will take place in any form this fall. I mean, can you imagine the school districts wanting to take on this liability?? No way. Just typing this gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. But...

All-American

You're not the only one.

I guess the big question at this point is what's going to happen in August when two-a-days start?

As of now, we see a lot of schools shutting things down for 14 days if a coach/player contracts the virus. You won't be able to do that in August and actually play games.

All-American

I think we're all sort of harboring that same unsettling feeling in our gut. All these shutdowns don't look good for the fall. The virus isn't going anywhere. If anything, it will likely ramp up heading into the fall/winter. So how comfortable are we going to be with widespread exposure for students/athletes/fans? There's not going to be a vaccine by that point, even in the most optimistic models, so that's off the table. It's a wild world we're living in, and the decision makers are up against some really, really hard conversations and no matter which side they land on, a large swath of the population will be unhappy.
    Texas Forever.

Letterman

What if we all just get it. Then go about our normal lives? This is ridiculous. Literally.

All-District

If they’re going to shut it down every time one person gets it, there won’t be a season. Not sure what the schools or UiL expected. This isn’t going away anytime soon.

At the same time, kids are generally in very little danger if they get it. Less dangerous than the flu for that age group.

All-American

well they just closed all the bars so that all stop it!! LOL

All-American

Does anyone here know anyone who has even tested positive, much less come down with it or died with it?

Upshur County where I am has recorded 48 cases in a population of about 42,000. No one has died.

I don't agree with those who say it is a hoax and I do wear a mask when I'm in stores, but in this area, I can understand why the supporters of a certain President think it is a massive plot to destroy him.

What's really hilarious is the reaction of these people to Gov. Abbott's orders over the last few months. "He's a Communist!" is my favorite one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Does anyone here know anyone who has even tested positive, much less come down with it or died with it?

Upshur County where I am has recorded 48 cases in a population of about 42,000. No one has died.

I don't agree with those who say it is a hoax and I do wear a mask when I'm in stores, but in this area, I can understand why the supporters of a certain President think it is a massive plot to destroy him.

What's really hilarious is the reaction of these people to Gov. Abbott's orders over the last few months. "He's a Communist!" is my favorite one.
    My brother last week got it he lives in Houston. Talk to him yesterday and he was feeling ok it was just the first couple of days when he tested positive. He'll get tested again before he can return to work. 2 more very recently still unsure if they've gotten tested and result.

My job i'm all over the place in Corpus Christi and surrounding area and trying to get use to of always wearing a mask(K95) but i sometimes forget to put it on when i enter a customer location. I see it as when we first had to get use to wearing a seat belt to where it became automatic without thinking about it.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by MJMbrahmas10 View Post
    What if we all just get it. Then go about our normal lives? This is ridiculous. Literally.
    As a COVID-19 survivor, your statement is asinine. I wouldn't wish COVID-19 even on my worst enemies. It knocked me on my butt for 2 1/2 weeks and I'm as healthy as can be for a guy in his 40s

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Celina8 View Post
    I am feeling less confident as a few Administrators at least in my area who have commented on the news have just kept responding that their focus is on having a some type of classroom program available for the students to participate that is safe either by internet or students coming back into the actual classroom . For those that choose to stay home and use internet then they will be required to do so for the entire year and would not be allowed to participate in extra curricular school activities. ( I take that to mean if your choosing to stay home because of the virus , then you cannot come and participate in extracurricular activities that expose you the same amount of risk) You have to wait until your in college to play sports and not attend classes! LOL!

Some of that is being left up to the ISDs, but the UIL came out and said students who participate in virtual learning will still be eligible for extracurricular activities. And any board members/sup’s who vote not to follow that guideline would find themselves losing their position the next voting cycle.

https://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/covid-19-information

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    You know, if Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick had just waited til the trend started to drop significantly we wouldn't be having this conversation. Minnesota went hard core and they had 6 cases July 3. Abbott was more interested in taking pictures with Trump than he was about his Texas citizens.
    Yes, Minnesota is the model for governmental responsibility.

Starter

Back in April, I had a saying: Gridiron or Grandpa, your choice. Looks like we may end up with neither.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

All-American

Port Isabel had it's first COVID death, the father of one of the Senior softball players from this past season.