Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Letterman

The rural county's in my area have had a huge surge recently whereas we had little to none during the initial 'hit'. We've had two deaths and I have two friends who lost loved ones to it. The varying effects it has on people is what scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Third View Post
    The rural county's in my area have had a huge surge recently whereas we had little to none during the initial 'hit'. We've had two deaths and I have two friends who lost loved ones to it. The varying effects it has on people is what scares me.
    The Rona has been surging in Cuero. We’ve been fortunate, in that, the majority of those testing positive have recovered.. but we are getting more and more each day testing positive. All ages from 14 months to 75 years..Some that tested positive last Thursday, feel fine..they were tested because they were in contact with someone that tested positive. So they’re at home for 14 days, feeling fine (so far).

I don’t know the answer.......I almost feel like back in the days when a 1st grader showed up with chicken pox..all the moms would bring all their kids to the classroom so their kids would get the chicken pox and get it over with.. I know that’s not the answer.. just wish someone would figure out what the answer is... Husband and I were in Vegas last week. The gambling tables were like ghost towns.. we did have some fabulous food but the gambling sucked. Thursday night at dinner, it was announced that masks in public were mandatory beginning at midnight. They were already mandatory at Bellagio, so we were already obeying the law. Let me tell you.. walking down the strip, in 107 temp, it’s really hard to breathe through the masks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

Starter

I honestly would prefer that for at least this fall they cancel the season as there is still so many unknowns about this virus. I think there would be games that do get cancelled due to players testing positive, and many schools my not be able to complete the season if they have to many that test positive . I look at the Junior High games and Pee Wee should those even be necessary this one season . I just think for this one season we just hold back , gather more information and try to prepare for 2021 as best we can or prepare for how sports will be played moving forward. When I think of football I just don't see many more sports other than wrestling where you have such physical contact plus you share everything from water bottles to sweat towels!

I have said this on another site..it would be a travesty if we don't have a football season. I say this with this thought in mind..I live and breathe hs football..yes..I just may be feeling a tad bit selfish so feel free to be offended because that seems to be the norm these days. Go Texans!
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

All-American

I posted this on another site, but my thoughts haven't changed so I'll share here to add to the discussion.

Yeah, I guess I just don’t see any empirical evidence that suggests shutting down fall sports — or schools in general — will in and of itself get things back to “normal.” Will it slow infection rate and spread a bit? Yeah. But I would imagine that total would be negligible.

Now, if you want to make teachers/students wear masks during school, and do temperature scans, etc., that seems fine to me. If you want to allow no fans at sporting events, or perhaps only immediate family, that seems like a good option, so long as teams have the ability to stream their games, which the UIL is on board with. But yeah, for the most part, I don’t know that canceling HS fall athletics is the answer.
    Texas Forever.

Football is still king in Texas. It IS a way of life. I think most who play or have played the game would not hesitate to be on that field come hell or high water.

P.S.
    Social media is out of control. With all that is going on. To those folks who thrive on posting negativity, to instigate hate, to create havoc to a frenzy, just for the sake of it....may the covid spirit find you and hold you close.

The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

Practice Squad

You know, if Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick had just waited til the trend started to drop significantly we wouldn't be having this conversation. Minnesota went hard core and they had 6 cases July 3. Abbott was more interested in taking pictures with Trump than he was about his Texas citizens.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    You know, if Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick had just waited til the trend started to drop significantly we wouldn't be having this conversation. Minnesota went hard core and they had 6 cases July 3. Abbott was more interested in taking pictures with Trump than he was about his Texas citizens.
    Ah yes, they must suckle the teat while they are still able.
    Texas Forever.

Letterman

So, the Ivy League has cancelled all Fall sports and the Big Ten supposedly will play a conference only football schedule. Is anyone still confident there will be high school football in Texas?

Starter

I am feeling less confident as a few Administrators at least in my area who have commented on the news have just kept responding that their focus is on having a some type of classroom program available for the students to participate that is safe either by internet or students coming back into the actual classroom . For those that choose to stay home and use internet then they will be required to do so for the entire year and would not be allowed to participate in extra curricular school activities. ( I take that to mean if your choosing to stay home because of the virus , then you cannot come and participate in extracurricular activities that expose you the same amount of risk) You have to wait until your in college to play sports and not attend classes! LOL!

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Celina8 View Post
    I am feeling less confident as a few Administrators at least in my area who have commented on the news have just kept responding that their focus is on having a some type of classroom program available for the students to participate that is safe either by internet or students coming back into the actual classroom . For those that choose to stay home and use internet then they will be required to do so for the entire year and would not be allowed to participate in extra curricular school activities. ( I take that to mean if your choosing to stay home because of the virus , then you cannot come and participate in extracurricular activities that expose you the same amount of risk) You have to wait until your in college to play sports and not attend classes! LOL!

Some of that is being left up to the ISDs, but the UIL came out and said students who participate in virtual learning will still be eligible for extracurricular activities. And any board members/sup’s who vote not to follow that guideline would find themselves losing their position the next voting cycle.

https://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/covid-19-information

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Yes, Minnesota is the model for governmental responsibility.

Starter

Back in April, I had a saying: Gridiron or Grandpa, your choice. Looks like we may end up with neither.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

All-American

Port Isabel had it's first COVID death, the father of one of the Senior softball players from this past season.