Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default I've got a bad feeling...

Seeing all of the postponements of voluntary workouts, I'm having a hard time believing that high school football will take place in any form this fall. I mean, can you imagine the school districts wanting to take on this liability?? No way. Just typing this gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. But...

All-American

You're not the only one.

I guess the big question at this point is what's going to happen in August when two-a-days start?

As of now, we see a lot of schools shutting things down for 14 days if a coach/player contracts the virus. You won't be able to do that in August and actually play games.

All-American

I think we're all sort of harboring that same unsettling feeling in our gut. All these shutdowns don't look good for the fall. The virus isn't going anywhere. If anything, it will likely ramp up heading into the fall/winter. So how comfortable are we going to be with widespread exposure for students/athletes/fans? There's not going to be a vaccine by that point, even in the most optimistic models, so that's off the table. It's a wild world we're living in, and the decision makers are up against some really, really hard conversations and no matter which side they land on, a large swath of the population will be unhappy.
    Texas Forever.

Letterman

What if we all just get it. Then go about our normal lives? This is ridiculous. Literally.

All-District

If they’re going to shut it down every time one person gets it, there won’t be a season. Not sure what the schools or UiL expected. This isn’t going away anytime soon.

At the same time, kids are generally in very little danger if they get it. Less dangerous than the flu for that age group.

All-American

well they just closed all the bars so that all stop it!! LOL

All-American

Does anyone here know anyone who has even tested positive, much less come down with it or died with it?

Upshur County where I am has recorded 48 cases in a population of about 42,000. No one has died.

I don't agree with those who say it is a hoax and I do wear a mask when I'm in stores, but in this area, I can understand why the supporters of a certain President think it is a massive plot to destroy him.

What's really hilarious is the reaction of these people to Gov. Abbott's orders over the last few months. "He's a Communist!" is my favorite one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Does anyone here know anyone who has even tested positive, much less come down with it or died with it?

Upshur County where I am has recorded 48 cases in a population of about 42,000. No one has died.

I don't agree with those who say it is a hoax and I do wear a mask when I'm in stores, but in this area, I can understand why the supporters of a certain President think it is a massive plot to destroy him.

What's really hilarious is the reaction of these people to Gov. Abbott's orders over the last few months. "He's a Communist!" is my favorite one.
    My brother last week got it he lives in Houston. Talk to him yesterday and he was feeling ok it was just the first couple of days when he tested positive. He'll get tested again before he can return to work. 2 more very recently still unsure if they've gotten tested and result.

My job i'm all over the place in Corpus Christi and surrounding area and trying to get use to of always wearing a mask(K95) but i sometimes forget to put it on when i enter a customer location. I see it as when we first had to get use to wearing a seat belt to where it became automatic without thinking about it.

All-American

No Yamboree in Gilmer this year. First time it's been called off since World War II.

https://www.facebook.com/easttexasya...49340955277924

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by MJMbrahmas10 View Post
    What if we all just get it. Then go about our normal lives? This is ridiculous. Literally.
    As a COVID-19 survivor, your statement is asinine. I wouldn't wish COVID-19 even on my worst enemies. It knocked me on my butt for 2 1/2 weeks and I'm as healthy as can be for a guy in his 40s

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    My brother last week got it he lives in Houston. Talk to him yesterday and he was feeling ok it was just the first couple of days when he tested positive. He'll get tested again before he can return to work. 2 more very recently still unsure if they've gotten tested and result.

My job i'm all over the place in Corpus Christi and surrounding area and trying to get use to of always wearing a mask(K95) but i sometimes forget to put it on when i enter a customer location. I see it as when we first had to get use to wearing a seat belt to where it became automatic without thinking about it.
    Great-nephew got it when he moved to Austin back in March. He had a mild case. A friend I've known since she was 10 just recently came down with it and one my daughters former class-mates also just came down with it.

All-American

I've had two close friends, both in their early 30s, get it and never know they had it. Neither of them is in pinnacle shape or condition. They tested negative twice ahead of minor medical procedures, and then through bloodwork, it was determined that they did indeed have COVID at one point. They both said they never even felt so much as a tickle in their throats.

Then I have another friend who is 32, in her absolute prime as a sub-4 marathon runner, does everything right to take care of her body, physically and mentally, follows all the COVID guidelines and protocols. Everything. But she happened to be in a small setting with some really close friends, none of whom had tested positive or were symptomatic, and one of them had it and she contracted it. She was intubated by day four and on death's doorstep for a couple of weeks, with oxygen levels below 60.
    Texas Forever.

Starter

I think the main concern with the spread of Covid as that the majority who get it will recover without the need for intensive treatment , but for those who might have a much higher risk factor and require hospitalization those individuals could potentially overwhelm the system and it looks like it can happen quickly. It becomes an issue of not only the students being exposed but where they might carry that exposure and trying to keep our medical care facilities and staff from just being overloaded. I am curious should all sports be cancelled for the fall season until after Jan 2021 lets say , then how does that effect the schools planned budget . Will we see any large savings , or will there definitely be some districts that get hit with revenue loses due to the loss of sports for the fall. Whatever the decision which I do think will be no sports for the fall unless they are able to test the students every 2 weeks , I wish they would just go ahead and make the decision.

All-American

I don't think that there will be any fall sports. Have had a lot of positive cases in Wharton County which has a population of around 42,000. It's a sad situation, and my wife is having to work in Wharton at a retail business. She wears a mask the days she works. Went to an outdoor drive in function in Wharton KC Hall Sunday where they had a drive through luncheon and just a very small line at 11 but prepared for 500 tickets Our Reyna's Cafe here in Hungerford doesn't require masks for customers or workers . They have a capacity of around 100 diners and was over 50% on Friday and Saturday. Today's lunch crowd was very small but that was about 11:30. a.m. They close at 2 p.m. then reopens from 5-8 p.m.