Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1 View Post
    F Them
    My sentiments.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG69 View Post
    My sentiments.

Why are those your sentiments? Genuinely asking and not trying to trade grenades back-and-forth in the trenches.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Why are those your sentiments? Genuinely asking and not trying to trade grenades back-and-forth in the trenches.
    Would love to understand this as well

Because I am tired of anything in the world being offensive to little johnny or hi Mommy. It would be like saying a team like Celina that has orange suits because it depicts prisoners wearing orange. Sick of it all. People need to grow the F up.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    Would love to understand this as well
    These are not paid professional athletes, these are amateur athletes who chose to attend a certain university on a paid 4 year scholarship. At Texas that’s at least a $200,000 scholarships and they signed that scholarship that has conditions that are a legal document. If they choose to violate conditions of that contract they should immediately remove themselves from the campus and quit the team.
    It’s a shame some folks want to make everything political and that’s a shame. Unfortunately some of the athletes will now have to make career ending choices.

Tired of everybody being offended by everything. Many of these players are getting a full ride to play football and get an education. Most will not advance past college level in football. They better depend on their education. Just tired of all the BS. That song does not effect them in any way.

All-District

It’s just getting old. Liberals are looking for reasons to be mad and reasons to cry racism. They are using black Americans as pawns in their political games. Mainstream America is afraid to stand up to them and say enough is enough.

You don’t think Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, Martin Luther King wouldn’t have some warts if you really analyzed their lives?

People and things should be judged based on the balance of what they have done. Not just a few things that people, with hindsight, determine wasn’t morally correct(never mind that a lot of what folks are comparing about was legal when it was done).

What would happen if Roe vs Wade were suddenly overturned? Would we erase the names of every woman from the history books who has had an abortion ( and their husbands) because they would be deemed morally corrupt?

Letterman

Jesus people, what's wrong with some of you? Look outside your own little bubble. That's the problem with this world, people only ever care about how stuff affects them.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...b-9c88e0c9312f

All-American

The free market will decide this in the end...the student athletes at Texas are adults and have every right express their opinion on matters that impact them....Their scholarship can be revoked at any time and they can transfer at any time..its definitely not a be all, end all contract...

if Texas chooses not to change it then those athletes and future athletes will have to make a decision on if Texas is a place they'll feel comfortable at....if Texas chooses to change it then they'll probably have to deal with a base of angry fans...it'll all play out

Me personally I've never been big on all the honoring of Confederate soldiers, statues etc...in the end they were traitors...they took up arms against the government of the United States...I think because Lincoln and Grant were so lenient to the Confederacy its allowed the narrative to be changed...I think we are the only nation in the world who went through this kind of Civil War and still honored the defeated Rebels as long as we have....its strange to folks not from the US

The more we are distanced from the past, the more we seem to know about it.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    Me personally I've never been big on all the honoring of Confederate soldiers, statues etc...in the end they were traitors...they took up arms against the government of the United States...I think because Lincoln and Grant were so lenient to the Confederacy its allowed the narrative to be changed...I think we are the only nation in the world who went through this kind of Civil War and still honored the defeated Rebels as long as we have....its strange to folks not from the US
    Same. I've never understood it, and I had family that fought and died for the south. So many people who were/are on team STAND FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM BY GOD DON'T KNEEL BEFORE THIS FLAG THESE COLORS DON'T RUN (the Kaepernick haters) ... still brandish the confederate flag — a flag that literally flew AGAINST the very flag they're saying is sacred and demands respect and honor. The confederate rebels fought AGAINST the troops to which people so adamantly offer their support. The confederacy was a literal VIOLENT PROTEST against the United States, a country which was FOUNDED and ESTABLISHED on a violent protest against an authoritarian monarchy.

And let's not forget, the US is a relatively young country compared to the rest of the world. And in context, the Civil War was not so long ago in our history. Taking it a step further, though, there are still people living ... STILL LIVING ... who experienced the Jim Crow segregation era. Those people have kids and grandkids and great grandkids that are still living. So we cannot act like racism is an age old point in our country's timeline.

I guess at the end of the day, I do not even slightly understand how ending racism, or hell just fighting against racism, is even the least bit controversial. This isn't about liberals or republicans ... both of whom are out of their gourds most of the time. It's certainly not about a song, a flag, a tradition, or any other superficial idol the boomer generation seems to exalt blindly on high. This is about humanity. It's about the sanctity of that humanity. It's about making sure the marginalized in our society are heard, respected, COUNTED, educated, valued, have equal representation in leadership, are allowed to be dignified and given the SAME opportunities — not guarantees— but opportunities to succeed as everyone else. That level of equality is NOT occurring and has NOT EVER occurred in this country. Ever. So yes, when we set out to enact a paradigm shift with that level of grandeur, we're gonna have to air some dirty laundry, and that's going to make some folks uncomfortable (me included at times). But if you get offended that someone else is offended that a time-honored tradition and tune is tinged with racist undertones, perhaps you ought to do some soul searching and really listen to the other side, before you reduce the fight for equality down to that one small part of it. You have to look at both the micro and the macro. The only way to start is to listen to the people who are hurting. And do it without your political lenses and hearing aids. I can tell you, in the many conversations I've had about this issue lately, both with people of color and people of my own pigment deficiency, the words republican, liberal, Trump, Biden, Clinton, vote, election, violence, snowflake, radical, AntiFa, etc., were never mentioned.
    Texas Forever.

Sadly, you'll never end racism. Every race will always have those who dislike another color. It's not just a BLM issue.
    YnoT us?

All-American

Politics and sports should be kept separate. It's really that simple. Sports is an escape from politics. Look at the number of Americans who don't even vote (which is their right). Politics is not enjoyable to me. I refuse to spend any more time or energy on it, which is my right.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by YTBulldogs View Post
    Sadly, you'll never end racism. Every race will always have those who dislike another color. It's not just a BLM issue.

This is a lazy take. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's lazy. Just because the cause is difficult, doesn't mean it's not worth the fight. We may not be able to end racism, but we can sure as hell do everything we can to fight against it. Makes me think of a famous quote from Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls: "If we win here we will win everywhere. The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."

And just to be clear, individualized racism is much different than systemic institutional racism. We have to combat both, but what you're seeing with the BLM movement is more directed at the latter.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    Politics and sports should be kept separate. It's really that simple. Sports is an escape from politics. Look at the number of Americans who don't even vote (which is their right). Politics is not enjoyable to me. I refuse to spend any more time or energy on it, which is my right.

Racism is not political. It's not partisan. It's not a political statement at all to say: We, as a society, as communities, as f*ing fellow human beings, should fight systemic racism. It's not political at all to say that Black Lives Matter. It's not political at all to come to terms with the idea that a group of our population has been marginalized from the outset, that they climb a different hill than the rest of us, that they deal with issues the rest of us don't deal with, that they don't have the same resources the rest of us have. It's not political to listen to them when they speak. To REALLY listen. What does it cost you to listen to the people themselves, not the politicians, not the Fox News analysts, or any media pundits for that matter? I promise you that you won't have to vote for one candidate or the other, or at all, at the end of that exercise.

Do yourself a favor and do not reduce the fight against racism to politics. Don't reduce the athletes, who are still just people with voices and intrinsic value and dignity and a desire to be loved, to politics when they use their elevated platform to lift others up who may never be heard. Fight against that urge. It's hard, believe me, but you'll be better for it.
    Texas Forever.