Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Will we have high school football in the fall?

Any news on this? Too early to tell? If so, what’s your guess?

Lots of people saying we can expect another wave of this next winter and we won’t have a vaccine by then...

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

I bet all fall sports will be negatively impacted by all this.
    Wouldn't surprise me if everything is pushed until after the new year.

All-American

In my opinion I don't see any fall sports happening-

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop27 View Post
    In my opinion I don't see any fall sports happening-

few months still to fall sports.

Imagine each flu season now, they will start shutting things down. Move football to June. This is getting stupid. Open things up. Ruined enough already over this China Bug.
    YnoT us?

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by YTBulldogs View Post
    Imagine each flu season now, they will start shutting things down. Move football to June. This is getting stupid. Open things up. Ruined enough already over this China Bug.
    Holy hell, the stupidity... You know you can get vaccinated against the flu, right??

To answer the OP...I don't see it happening, because as soon as one kid comes down sick, his whole team is going to have to quarantine for two weeks, and the team his team played last week is going to have to do the same...

All-American

Hard to imagine the fall not being impacted in some way. But this article is correct. If we want fall sports at all, testing has to be made readily available. Any comparisons to the flu are wildly off base. This is not an influenza.

However, I'll remain optimistic that HS football will be played this fall.

Here in Missouri, we're in day one of a gradual state-wide "reopening." If we get some positive data in the next 2-3 weeks (no abnormal spike in new cases) then I think we could be on track towards normalcy come fall. I just hope we don't overdo it, go too fast, and throw ourselves right back to where we were a couple months ago.
    Texas Forever.

All-District
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    Any news on this? Too early to tell? If so, what’s your guess?

Lots of people saying we can expect another wave of this next winter and we won’t have a vaccine by then...
    IMO we will especially with a few sporting events this summer with successful outcomes.

All-American

The only problem I see is with the older people demanding to attend the games. They should not, ESPECIALLY if indoors (such as UTSA's Alamodome games), and should be required to sign a waiver of treatment for COVID-19 should they be so foolish as to demand to attend games in person.

Having said that, the University Interscholastic League absolutely has a duty to allow livestreaming of all games on all nights (for a fee, of course) so that the "seasoned citizens" won't miss out on the action.

I actually think, if they try to impose another lockdown, the rural areas of Texas will largely ignore the orders. I would say my area has somewhat already done that (the county is not technically rural, but part of a small metro area - Longview).
    Last edited by Aesculus gilmus; 05-05-2020 at 06:53 AM.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post
    The only problem I see is with the older people demanding to attend the games. They should not, ESPECIALLY if indoors (such as UTSA's Alamodome games), and should be required to sign a waiver of treatment for COVID-19 should they be so foolish as to demand to attend games in person.

Having said that, the University Interscholastic League absolutely has a duty to allow livestreaming of all games on all nights (for a fee, of course) so that the "seasoned citizens" won't miss out on the action.

I actually think, if they try to impose another lockdown, the rural areas of Texas will largely ignore the orders. I would say my area has somewhat already done that (the county is not technically rural, but part of a small metro area - Longview).

I could definitely see the UIL making a temporary amendment in order to broadcast/livestream ALL games this fall. I'd imagine it would go away once the 2020 season is over, but who knows. Lots of little details and logistics to work out in something like that.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus gilmus View Post

With only 15 known cases thus far, with 8 of those recovered, in a county of about 41,000 is not bad at all. We've been blessed to say the least. I do, however, see a problem with broadcasting high school football games. There is not enough cameras and crews to broadcast every high school football game, not even close. I still have faith that a covid-19 vaccine will be found before two-a-days. I would absolutely HATE to see fall sports not played at all.

I think we will be able to start the fall football season as scheduled, although there could be some limitations on attendance, social distancing, et al, if the curve of the active virus cases is trending down and/or a vaccine is found.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Guess small town radio stations from like Sealy, El Campo, Columbus, Bay City, La Grange, Cuero and Gonzales to name a few broadcast them .
    A few stations like from KVLG-KBUK out of La Grange will also broadcast volleyball matches

Blog Entries

I'm guessing that if a legitimate proven treatment can be developed by August, restrictions will be eased to some level and life will be quasi normal. Don't confuse treatment with vaccine or prophylaxis. Treatment in this context is a proven course of medications/strategies that reduces or minimizes chances of death. I think a true vaccine is still at least a year out. If the virus mutates, could be back to square one. Just my opinion.
    You Talking to Me?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    There is not enough cameras and crews to broadcast every high school football game, not even close.
    Cameras are fairly inexpensive and there are countless thousands of individuals with football expertise and time on their hands.

I wouldn't think every high school would produce a livestream. I just think it should be allowed for those schools who have enough demand to warrant one.

Frankly, there might not be enough interest in Gilmer to warrant one anymore.