Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    All-American

Hearing Port Isabel will be naming the new AD/HFC tomorrow evening.

As for the Edinburg Vela and McAllen Rowe OCs, I believe the OC from Vela got an interview, but as far as how his interview went and/or if he made top cut, I have no clue. As for the Rowe OC, I don't know if he got an interview or not. The only time I heard anything about him was the news article from HSSM saying that he was an applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post
    Hearing Port Isabel will be naming the new AD/HFC tomorrow evening.

As for the Edinburg Vela and McAllen Rowe OCs, I believe the OC from Vela got an interview, but as far as how his interview went and/or if he made top cut, I have no clue. As for the Rowe OC, I don't know if he got an interview or not. The only time I heard anything about him was the news article from HSSM saying that he was an applicant.
    Good. Did any of the coaches from Strunk still at PI?
    That leaves only West Oso without a head coach. Never heard why WO coach resigned.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Good. Did any of the coaches from Strunk still at PI?
    That leaves only West Oso without a head coach. Never heard why WO coach resigned.
    As far as I know, the coaches from Strunk's staff are still there for the most part. I think one is headed elsewhere for sure. I have no clue about the others.

Looks like Ingleside is finally getting artificial turf. Have not confirmed but they have dug up all the grass.

All-American

Sounds like the PI hiring process has been a circus....they called ten for interviews...didnt like any of them...called ten more....
    Lots of people with "influence" trying to throw their weight around and get their guy....all that does is leave bitter feelings and when those people of influence move on then the cycle just repeats itself..

Tony V returns.? Some happy PI poster....

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG69 View Post
    Looks like Ingleside is finally getting artificial turf. Have not confirmed but they have dug up all the grass.
    Looks great!

All-American

The Slot-T is coming back to Port Isabel!

And Matt.....SMH come on man, I know you're better than that.

All-American

In talking to multiple coaches involved in the process it was a sham to start with...if Tony V was the guy from the jump (which let's be honest he was) they shouldn't have wasted everyone's time.....I stand by everything I've said....the process was handled poorly from the jump
    Last edited by Matthew328; 05-14-2020 at 08:29 AM.

2 slot T teams in district. Stuff the run

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    In talking to multiple coaches involved in the process it was a sham to start with...if Tony V was the guy from the jump (which let's be honest he was) they shouldn't have wasted everyone's time.....I stand by everything I've said....the process was handled poorly from the jump
    I think I know who your source is now, and all I have to say is this: He landed a job elsewhere of his own volition. Why the hell should he care anymore?

Also, rather than listen to a bunch of salty coaches (no pun intended), did you not stop to think that maybe, just maybe, that Tony V. was the best applicant, best interview, and best filled what the PIISD Superintendent was looking for in an AD/HFC? To me, Matt, it sounds like you're believing assumptions.

Also did you even bother to consider how actual Port Isabel people feel about the hire? Personally, I haven't seen this level of excitement for Tarpon football in a very long time. Or does any of that not matter to you because of your coach friends telling you crap that just might not be true at all?

All-American

I think I know who your source is now, and all I have to say is this: He landed a job elsewhere of his own volition. Why the hell should he care anymore?

Also, rather than listen to a bunch of salty coaches (no pun intended), did you not stop to think that maybe, just maybe, that Tony V. was the best applicant, best interview, and best filled what the PIISD Superintendent was looking for in an AD/HFC? To me, Matt, it sounds like you're believing assumptions.

Also did you even bother to consider how actual Port Isabel people feel about the hire? Personally, I haven't seen this level of excitement for Tarpon football in a very long time. Or does any of that not matter to you because of your coach friends telling you crap that just might not be true at all?

You'd be wrong on my source(s)...he's got his own opinions but he's not involved in the process clearly..here's the bottom line....the process was a sham...I've covered enough coaching hires in my time to know when something is a wrap before its started...Falls City for example was a wrap also...but they didnt run a sham interview process...they got their guy brought him in and didnt waste anyone's time.

When a guy who has coached professionally and at the college level calls to inquire about the job is basically told he's wasting his time applying what does that tell you? Mind you this Coach wants to retire on SPI and money is no issue..so what was the issue of him even applying?? My guess is they didnt want his name to pop up on a FOIA because folks would question why he wasn't hired...I'm connecting the dots there but its curious to say the least...but maybe they didnt want to waste HIS time like they wasted the lowly other HS coaches time?

Combine that with my discussions with those who went through the interview process (I spoke to 3 guys who interviewed for the record, two of which have been head coaches and know how it works) and they all also believe no one had a chance but Coach Villarreal and they felt like the interview was a waste of time.

Hiring Coach Villarreal is 100% fine, his credentials speak for themselves, he's more than qualified for the job....my thought is if you've zeroed in one guy, go get that guy, trust in your decision making and don't put on a "show" to appease anyone.

I mean goodness the superintendent is the highest paid supt in the state of Texas, she gets paid big bucks to make those tough calls, the school board hired her and agreed to pay her that large salary...so I say go earn your money!!! Hire your guy and keep it moving...

If you got your guy go get that guy, this what I've recommended to school districts when I've been on hiring committees every time..if you have a guy..go get him..dont pay me or anyone else to waste peoples time when you are going to hire another guy.

Coach Villareal worked for the current superintendent, his ties to Port Isabel are many..it was a slam dunk hire...it makes total sense....so why interview 20...TWENTY....guys lol

I've also learned in my 16 years doing this and being on hiring committees that anyone worth their salt doing the hiring is doing themselves and the district a disservice by "listening to the community" people always have agendas in small towns and often those people wouldn't know the first thing about hiring a quality coach/administrator....it works out sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't go well....I am glad the community is excited though...its weird seeing the Tarpons be average since Stump left....
    Last edited by Matthew328; 05-14-2020 at 06:54 PM.

All-American

You'd be wrong on my source(s)...he's got his own opinions but he's not involved in the process clearly..here's the bottom line....the process was a sham...I've covered enough coaching hires in my time to know when something is a wrap before its started...Falls City for example was a wrap also...but they didnt run a sham interview process...they got their guy brought him in and didnt waste anyone's time.

When a guy who has coached professionally and at the college level calls to inquire about the job is basically told he's wasting his time applying what does that tell you? Mind you this Coach wants to retire on SPI and money is no issue..so what was the issue of him even applying?? My guess is they didnt want his name to pop up on a FOIA because folks would question why he wasn't hired...I'm connecting the dots there but its curious to say the least...but maybe they didnt want to waste HIS time like they wasted the lowly other HS coaches time?

Combine that with my discussions with those who went through the interview process (I spoke to 3 guys who interviewed for the record, two of which have been head coaches and know how it works) and they all also believe no one had a chance but Coach Villarreal and they felt like the interview was a waste of time.

Hiring Coach Villarreal is 100% fine, his credentials speak for themselves, he's more than qualified for the job....my thought is if you've zeroed in one guy, go get that guy, trust in your decision making and don't put on a "show" to appease anyone.

I mean goodness the superintendent is the highest paid supt in the state of Texas, she gets paid big bucks to make those tough calls, the school board hired her and agreed to pay her that large salary...so I say go earn your money!!! Hire your guy and keep it moving...

If you got your guy go get that guy, this what I've recommended to school districts when I've been on hiring committees every time..if you have a guy..go get him..dont pay me or anyone else to waste peoples time when you are going to hire another guy.

Coach Villareal worked for the current superintendent, his ties to Port Isabel are many..it was a slam dunk hire...it makes total sense....so why interview 20...TWENTY....guys lol

I've also learned in my 16 years doing this and being on hiring committees that anyone worth their salt doing the hiring is doing themselves and the district a disservice by "listening to the community" people always have agendas in small towns and often those people wouldn't know the first thing about hiring a quality coach/administrator....it works out sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't go well....I am glad the community is excited though...its weird seeing the Tarpons be average since Stump left....
    I know who you're referring to now, and to me, it sounds like he's more interested in fishing than coaching. (based on a retweet you did from the Brownsville Lopez OC)

As for those coaches who told you that they got interviews, did you ever stop to think that maybe they just didn't interview well? Or that maybe they didn't answer the questions presented to them well enough to the Superintendent and Committee's liking? It's really easy to say "the process is a sham" when the odds on favorite for the job actually goes on to win the job.

I'm sorry those other coaches feel like they had their time wasted, I really am. But that's absolutely no reason for you or anyone else to be throwing Port Isabel under the bus like this. Had you been in the room witnessing the interviews yourself, THEN you might have a leg to stand on. But you weren't, so you really need to drop this.
    Last edited by TarponFanInNorthTexas; 05-14-2020 at 07:48 PM.

All-American

I know who you're referring to now, and to me, it sounds like he's more interested in fishing than coaching. (based on a retweet you did from the Brownsville Lopez OC)

As for those coaches who told you that they got interviews, did you ever stop to think that maybe they just didn't interview well? Or that maybe they didn't answer the questions presented to them well enough to the Superintendent and Committee's liking? It's really easy to say "the process is a sham" when the odds on favorite for the job actually goes on to win the job.

I'm sorry those other coaches feel like they had their time wasted, I really am. But that's absolutely no reason for you or anyone else to be throwing Port Isabel under the bus like this. Had you been in the room witnessing the interviews yourself, THEN you might have a leg to stand on. But you weren't, so you really need to drop this.
    Nope not gonna do it....I stand by my statement.....the process wasn't handled well in my opinion...bottom line.....you dont have to like it..but it's like that sometimes...we'll just to agree to disagree there....

All-American

Nope not gonna do it....I stand by my statement.....the process wasn't handled well in my opinion...bottom line.....you dont have to like it..but it's like that sometimes...we'll just to agree to disagree there....
    Saying it wasn't handled well is one thing. Calling the process a "sham" is another. So which is it?