Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post
    Well, word came out that 45 applied for the open Port Isabel AD/HFC position. One name stands out, current Edinburg Vela OC Sean Van Der Merghel. Though I've heard nothing but good things about him at Vela, I'm afraid that style of offense won't really work at Port Isabel, especially if the last few seasons were any indication of that.
    Hopefully the PI school board picks a coach that runs the slot T or wing T. Something the kids are use to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "GO MEAN GREEN"
    When we're bad, we're good. When we're good, we're BAD !
    767-380-38

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Old Green View Post
    Hopefully the PI school board picks a coach that runs the slot T or wing T. Something the kids are use to.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Like I've been telling folks, Port Isabel kids are just built different. Even despite our lack of size, ground & pound has always worked. Last 3 years using a spread system... 2-7, 4-6, 3-7. IMHO, the ol' ground & pound needs to come back to Port Isabel.

Sinton returns a good portion of their team with 4 of 5 offensive linemen. Some other returning for 2020 season. (hopefully there is a season to play)

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Old Green View Post

Meh. Hire the best coach you can hire and let him coach up the players.

Quote Originally Posted by rb585 View Post
    Meh. Hire the best coach you can hire and let him coach up the players.
    Agree, they're down to the top 10 finalists i believe, but some of these coaches records are...not that appealing.

One of finalists, went 7-23 in the his last 3 yrs and ran the ball 63% of the time (no playoffs)
    A different one ran the ball 70% of the time in his last 3yrs with an overall record of 5-25 (no Playoffs)

I get it, board wants to bring in someone with good AD skills, but PI really needs to pick a proven winner (recent-wise) as well.

Two 6A Off. Coordinators finalists, from Nikki Rowe(19-14) and E. Vela (33-6) should really be considered having the upper hand, but u cant tell with THIS group of school board members.

All-American

Hearing Port Isabel will be naming the new AD/HFC tomorrow evening.

As for the Edinburg Vela and McAllen Rowe OCs, I believe the OC from Vela got an interview, but as far as how his interview went and/or if he made top cut, I have no clue. As for the Rowe OC, I don't know if he got an interview or not. The only time I heard anything about him was the news article from HSSM saying that he was an applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post
    Hearing Port Isabel will be naming the new AD/HFC tomorrow evening.

As for the Edinburg Vela and McAllen Rowe OCs, I believe the OC from Vela got an interview, but as far as how his interview went and/or if he made top cut, I have no clue. As for the Rowe OC, I don't know if he got an interview or not. The only time I heard anything about him was the news article from HSSM saying that he was an applicant.
    Good. Did any of the coaches from Strunk still at PI?
    That leaves only West Oso without a head coach. Never heard why WO coach resigned.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Good. Did any of the coaches from Strunk still at PI?
    That leaves only West Oso without a head coach. Never heard why WO coach resigned.
    As far as I know, the coaches from Strunk's staff are still there for the most part. I think one is headed elsewhere for sure. I have no clue about the others.

Looks like Ingleside is finally getting artificial turf. Have not confirmed but they have dug up all the grass.