Robstown
    Raymondville
    Rockport-Fulton
    Rio Hondo
    Sinton

Sinton schedule for 2020
    scrimmage #1 vs Kingsville King and scrimmage #2 vs Corpus Christi Ray

All-American

Well, Port Isabel is looking for a new AD/HFC, as previous coach Jason Strunk was hired as an AD out of state.

Compound that with what's going on regarding COVID-19........no fun down in Port Isabel right now. No off-season, no nothing. Hoping the kids are putting in some work at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post
    Well, Port Isabel is looking for a new AD/HFC, as previous coach Jason Strunk was hired as an AD out of state.

Compound that with what's going on regarding COVID-19........no fun down in Port Isabel right now. No off-season, no nothing. Hoping the kids are putting in some work at least.
    Air raid coach or Slot T/Wing T coach?

Hopefully its option 2 bring back the fans lost when they went with the Lyford coach few years ago. Pretty good district.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Air raid coach or Slot T/Wing T coach?

Hopefully its option 2 bring back the fans lost when they went with the Lyford coach few years ago. Pretty good district.
    Hopefully not a spread or air raid coach. That offense literally KILLED our program. (just like I told you it would)

I, personally, am hoping for a ground & pound coach. Preferably a Slot-T coach. PI has a good group of kids coming up and these kids are built for a ground & pound style of offense.

Come on 2020 football season, coastal bend teams with valley teams making up 4a D2 D16

All-American

Well, word came out that 45 applied for the open Port Isabel AD/HFC position. One name stands out, current Edinburg Vela OC Sean Van Der Merghel. Though I've heard nothing but good things about him at Vela, I'm afraid that style of offense won't really work at Port Isabel, especially if the last few seasons were any indication of that.

Well, word came out that 45 applied for the open Port Isabel AD/HFC position. One name stands out, current Edinburg Vela OC Sean Van Der Merghel. Though I've heard nothing but good things about him at Vela, I'm afraid that style of offense won't really work at Port Isabel, especially if the last few seasons were any indication of that.
    Hopefully the PI school board picks a coach that runs the slot T or wing T. Something the kids are use to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "GO MEAN GREEN"
    When we're bad, we're good. When we're good, we're BAD !
    767-380-38

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Old Green View Post
    Hopefully the PI school board picks a coach that runs the slot T or wing T. Something the kids are use to.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Like I've been telling folks, Port Isabel kids are just built different. Even despite our lack of size, ground & pound has always worked. Last 3 years using a spread system... 2-7, 4-6, 3-7. IMHO, the ol' ground & pound needs to come back to Port Isabel.

Sinton returns a good portion of their team with 4 of 5 offensive linemen. Some other returning for 2020 season. (hopefully there is a season to play)

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Old Green View Post

Meh. Hire the best coach you can hire and let him coach up the players.

All-District
    Blog Entries

Hopefully not a spread or air raid coach. That offense literally KILLED our program. (just like I told you it would)

I, personally, am hoping for a ground & pound coach. Preferably a Slot-T coach. PI has a good group of kids coming up and these kids are built for a ground & pound style of offense.
    Slot's got limitations, especially deep in the playoffs.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by ogg View Post
    Slot's got limitations, especially deep in the playoffs.
    Didn't you guys lose to a Wing-T team in the final? Asking for my friend in NW Texarkana.

All-District
    Blog Entries

Didn't you guys lose to a Wing-T team in the final? Asking for my friend in NW Texarkana.
    That's a good point, one that's hard to debate. However, we did make the playoffs grinding through slots and wings, LOL. Losing the state championship to a very athletically gifted team.....I believe their D-Line were all D-1 recruits. Regardless, we were never out of that game, two plays got away from us. You can absolutely win state running 97% of the time, it's just harder IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rb585 View Post
    Meh. Hire the best coach you can hire and let him coach up the players.
    Agree, they're down to the top 10 finalists i believe, but some of these coaches records are...not that appealing.

One of finalists, went 7-23 in the his last 3 yrs and ran the ball 63% of the time (no playoffs)
    A different one ran the ball 70% of the time in his last 3yrs with an overall record of 5-25 (no Playoffs)

I get it, board wants to bring in someone with good AD skills, but PI really needs to pick a proven winner (recent-wise) as well.

Two 6A Off. Coordinators finalists, from Nikki Rowe(19-14) and E. Vela (33-6) should really be considered having the upper hand, but u cant tell with THIS group of school board members.