Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gobblers new Coach

Jack Alvarez. i am in traffic right now. It’s finally public, posted by KCEN online. Will post confirmation when I get to office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

Nick Canizales (KCEN TV)
    2/18/2020·
    BREAKING: Jack Alvarez has told me he will step down as the Head Football Coach/Athletic Director at Copperas Cove. Pending board approval, he will be accepting a job at Cuero High School. Alvarez went 10-11 overall in two seasons, leading the Bulldawgs to the playoffs in his 1st season. #txhsfb
    Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

Great hire !

"GO MEAN GREEN"
    When we're bad, we're good. When we're good, we're BAD !
    767-380-38

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Old Green View Post
    Great hire !

WHy? He had no success at a 6A school and voluntarily dropped 2 levels. What's to get excited about?

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

From my uncle who is on the QB Club Board at Copperas Cove.
    "He underachieved with the classes he had and wasn't interested in supporting the booster clubs that supported the football program."

All-American

Alvarez is a proven winner, he'll do a great job at Cuero...I dont think the fit was right at Cove hell I told him not to take the job lol....From what I understand there were folks with influence in town who weren't super interested in making Alvarez feel all that welcome...Cove's expectations based on their current talent level are a bit too high IMO....and even still they lost 4 games this year by six points or less...they were close to being much better than 3-7 this season

i saw a tweet on twitter saying his offense is the slot t/wing t?

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Is this true? If so then wow

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySixes View Post
    Is this true? If so then wow
    Salty, I will give a detailed report as soon as I get the scoop and then my husband translates it for me . We are anxious to hear if he’s bringing any staff and who’s staying. Pretty sure our OC and DC are with headed to coach w/Travis at NC (that’s the DQ talk, nothing concrete).

All-American

Alvarez runs a versatile offense...it'll be tailored to the personnel...go watch the 2014 title game Ennis vs Cedar Park...theres elements of several schemes in that Ennis offense

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    Alvarez runs a versatile offense...it'll be tailored to the personnel...go watch the 2014 title game Ennis vs Cedar Park...theres elements of several schemes in that Ennis offense
    yep, watched the 2014 title game vs Cedar Park about 30 mins ago.

Congrats on the hire Cuero. Looking forward to our next match-up!
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

It’s official, the school board approved the hiring of Coach Alvarez as predicted. I hope we’ve hired the right guy...I’ve heard pros and cons... my mind is open and I am anxious to see how he fits in with Cuero. Losing our DC and OC and a new HC, should be interesting...I still haven’t heard who he’s bringing, if anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All-American

From The Victoria Advocate

CUERO – Jack Alvarez plans to meet with the Cuero athletes Friday morning.

He’ll deliver the same message as he has during a 22-year head coaching career.

“I’ll tell them how excited I am about being here for one,” Alvarez said. “I’ll try to make sure that they know that they will be the priority of the program. We’ll start from there. We’re going to do the best job we can to help them be successful.”

Alvarez, 54, is looking forward to getting started after being unanimously approved as the athletic director and head football coach at Thursday night’s meeting of the Cuero school district board of trustees.

It’s the tradition,” Alvarez said. “The tradition of the community has here. That was probably No. 1 seeing that year-in and year-out it’s always one of the top programs in the state.”

Alvarez comes to Cuero from Copperas Cove, where he was the athletic director and head football coach for two seasons.

He will replace Travis Reeve, who resigned in January to become the head football coach at New Caney.

Alvarez has also been a head coach at Ennis, Kirbyville and Pineland West Sabine and has an overall record of 175-85.

He led Ennis to the 2014 Class 5A, Division II state championship, and Kirbyville to state final appearances in 2008 and 2009.

“I’ve coached at every level,” Alvarez said. “Football is football, kids are kids and the competition whether it’s 6A, 5A or college football, the game is still the game. I think this size school has some of the purest football. It allows for all size kids to play, and it allows for tough kids to get out there and play football. It doesn’t matter if you’re a great athlete or your average guy and to me that makes it a lot of fun.”

Alvarez plans to complete his staff and evaluate the program before making any major changes.

I have followed some really good guys,” he said. “People like Sam Harrell at Ennis and Jack Welch at Copperas Cove. What I always try to do is be very respectful of what their success has been. Also, we’ve got to look forward. Whatever changes I do decide to do is not out of disrespect, but done out of what I think to get the program going.

The Gobblers slipped to 3-7 last season and missed the playoffs after winning the Class 4A, Division II state championship in .

lvarez has taken over successful programs at Ennis and Copperas Cove, and a struggling program at Kirbyville, which had lost 26 consecutive games.

“You go into a place where it’s 0-26, there is no pressure,” he said. “You’re the smartest guy in town when it comes to football. You take over a program like Ennis or Cuero, the tradition and community is usually pretty well versed in the expectations of the kids and the team. I sometimes think the kids play up to that.”

Alvarez worked with Cuero Superintendent Micah Dyer at Kirbyville. Alvarez was ready to rejoin Dyer after his first visit to the city.

“You walk in and everything is green and white,” Alvarez said. “You see Gobblers everywhere, and you can tell the people here are pretty fanatical about their football.”

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    That was me, sorry. And I initially thought, based on watching that Ennis v. Cedar Park state final in 2014, that Alvarez ran Wing-T and some Slot-T.

I stand corrected.