Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default Sinton To Vote On $111 Million School Bond In May

Actually it's two separate bonds. $91 million for a new highschool and up-grades to the 2 elementary and middle schools. And then a $ 19 million bond for a new athletic field house and upgrades to the middle school athletic facilities. The new school will be built right behind the existing high school.

All-American

Must be nice to not have the state taking more than 50% of the monies the district brings in.

I'm 51 and i think school is 52 years old so yea its time for a new one. no tax rate increase to residents.

But don't we have somewhat new elementary schools already?

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post
    Must be nice to not have the state taking more than 50% of the monies the district brings in.
    Sinton has a bypass so they bypass us.(joke) Yea seen PI is no man land with that problem due to SPI. Is that most likely the reason?

All-American

The 2 elementary schools and the jr. high are all less than 10 years old. I think the elementary school upgrades are going to be for security. And yes the high school is 52 years old

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas View Post
    Rockport Tx, home of some of the highest property values, and poorest school districts.

Quote Originally Posted by RkptFltn View Post
    Rockport Tx, home of some of the highest property values, and poorest school districts.
    Same problem as PI and i think AP also. I go to AP schools sometimes and they use to be terrible buildings but have open some newer ones. Use to go to one in Fulton/Rockport was old elementary not sure if still there.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    Sinton has a bypass so they bypass us.(joke) Yea seen PI is no man land with that problem due to SPI. Is that most likely the reason?
    Yeah it's because of South Padre Island, but here's the irony of it all. Less than 5% of the entire student body (pre-k to 12) actually live on SPI. The vast majority live in Port Isabel proper, Laguna Heights, or Laguna Vista, and a huge majority of those students live below the poverty line.

Hardly seems fair....

All-State

$91MM, seriously?

What is it about school constuction that costs so dang much?

Is it greendawg’s fault or something else?
    Rockets Never Quit!

All-American

[QUOTE=Rocket Man;1966884]$91MM, seriously?

Is it greendawg’s fault or something else?[/QUOTE

Although the bulk of the money will go toward a new high school, all the schools in the district are going get upgrades.

With the expectation of future growth in the district, it’s a good idea to update all the ISD facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "GO MEAN GREEN"
    When we're bad, we're good. When we're good, we're BAD !
    767-380-38

Practice Squad

The new steel plant will pay for it over time. Excited for the other Pirates to get a facelift.

Practice Squad

I was hoping Steel Dynamics would help to bring about a new high school. It is so badly needed. If you've been to the school in the last 10 yrs, you would notice you never leave the school without smelling musty. Being a bomb shelter, there are no windows in any classrooms. To finally have a much needed renovation in the field house/ weight room is a wonderful thing! I'm so excited for the community. I wish my three kids would have had the opportunity to be in this new school. I know it will be great!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Once a Pirate, ALWAYS a Pirate!

All-State

[QUOTE=sinfan75;1966888]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    $91MM, seriously?

Is it greendawg’s fault or something else?[/QUOTE

Although the bulk of the money will go toward a new high school, all the schools in the district are going get upgrades.
    Ok, so let’s say it’s $75MM, I still cannot fathom in my mind why it will cost that much to build. I’m not knocking the upgrades or the building of a new school, I just can’t wrap my mind around the cost.

It’s not that it’s Sinton, it’s every where, even here in Rocket Land. I’ll have to look to see if the costs are lower in Burnet and if they are then that confirms it’s greendawg’s fault.
    Rockets Never Quit!