Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All-American

Gilmer is building a new high school with a capacity of 800 students for $35 million. Had it cost much more than that, the bond election would have failed for the third time in a row.

I think Sinton current High School was build for over 1000 students and most likely this one is also. 35 million sounds like a good bargain.

All-American

I have to think back a bit, but with regards to Port Isabel ISD's schools......

Port Isabel High School (current location) was built in 1977, first used in the 1978/1979 school year. Additions have been made to the original campus, but for the most part, the campus is still from the late 1970s. Portable buildings have been in use for the past 8-10 years, which indicates the need for more additions to the campus, but sadly, the district can't afford it.

Port Isabel Jr. High current location was built in 1987, first used in the 1988/1989 school year. No additions made, to my knowledge.

Derry Elementary (Grades 2-5) has been in the same location for as long as I can remember. Most of the newer sections of Derry Elementary were built in the 1980s (don't know exact year). Some sections of it are STILL parts of the original campus (which was the original PIHS from the 1940s & 1950s) but they're not used anymore except for storage.

Garriga Elementary (Pre-K to 1st Grade) has been in the same location since AT LEAST the 1930s, possibly longer. Many of the original sections of the campus were still in use as of the 1980s. However, many upgrades have taken place since then and they're now used as the main campus. However, sections of Garriga Elementary (original campus) are still in use, shockingly.