All-American

Default Cuero's Kobe Giles signs to play football at Mary Hardin Baylor University

From The Victoria Advocate

CUERO – Kobe Giles was an important member of Cuero’s 2018 state championship team.

But the role Giles played on last season’s team was even more memorable to former coach Travis Reeve.

“That may have been one of his finest moments of leadership when things were tough, when things weren’t going the way they had the year before,” Reeve said. “He was a positive influence on the team.”

Giles’ performance at tight end and defensive end and his role as a team leader for the Gobblers drew the interest of Mary Hardin-Baylor.

I first heard about it from (Cuero assistant) coach (Jordan) Hataway, who went there,” said Giles, who also considered Hardin-Simmons. “Going up there and visiting the school, hearing everything about academics, the school itself and then, obviously the football team is phenomenal, the facilities are awesome, the coaching staff is amazing and that’s what really caught my attention.”

Giles transferred to Cuero from Edna before his junior year, but had no trouble fitting in with his new teammates.

“It was really easy,” he said. “The coaching staff made it really easy. I’m a very spiritual person. When I need help, I pray a lot and that really got me through everything because football is a big part of my life.”

Giles will play defensive end at Mary Hardin-Baylor, which has won two national championships.

“It’s hard work, dedication, commitment and all those,” he said. “If you have all those core values, and you have family and you have faith and that’s all they have and it works.”

Reeve, who will officially take over as head coach at New Caney on Thursday, was pleased with Giles’ decision.

All-District

You don't sign to play football at a D3 school -- you sign to pay tuition.

Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by rb585 View Post
    You don't sign to play football at a D3 school -- you sign to pay tuition.
    If you think the coaches at D3 schools are not trying to win, therefore recruiting what they see to be talent, you are fooling yourself.