Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default Gilmer (5-2) @ Pleasant Grove (6-1)

Both teams opened district with a win. For all practical purposes this one is probably for the district championship.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Surely we can keep this thread above the Texas Midseason coaches cross country rankings......jeez
    the best kind???

PG will likely run away with this one. It'll be a good game for a couple of quarters, maybe. I still think the Buckeyes "can" win this one if they play the way they're capable. They just haven't shown that they can be consistent with that ability all year. I don't think that will change in one week..., unfortunately. I hope they surprise the crap out me.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Surely we can keep this thread above the Texas Midseason coaches cross country rankings......jeez
    Now that's funny!

All-American

I do the best I can
    the best kind???

What says you, lostaussie? Some of you other folks can ring in with your opinion, too...
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Until our QB play gets more consistent I don't think we can play with the big boys. That said, hopefully we can keep it close and get some confidence for the next time we see them. In round 4 I think it will happen again. That's going to be the one that matters in the long run.
    the best kind???

Junior Varsity

Way too many dumb penalties and lackluster QB play from the Buckeyes should probably make this a comfortable win for PG. However, we have all the capability in the world to beat anyone, if our youngsters would grow up a little and eliminate the huge number of stupid mistakes. It has become so regular to have 100-150 yards in penalties each game, that we almost seem to be playing thug football. Very lacking in discipline.

All-American

It's not changing. I have given up. Penalties will just be part of it.
    the best kind???

100 yards of penalties a game is just a little too much to overcome against good teams. To tell the truth, you could probably call a penalty on more than half of the plays, but the Buckeyes are getting way more than their fair share. After looking at the video, a few critical ones over the last few years have been just plain bad calls. It happens. The referee didn't call the obvious push off by the receiver on the Hail Mary pass at the end of the half last week. That missed call cost us 7 points. What did the coaches do? Get into the ref's ear? Nope. They're too "nice" to do such a thing. Being "nice" and being a coach is not a winning combination when you won't stand up for your players. As a player, I would feel my coaches don't have my back.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

We need a median between what Jeff used to do and what Matt does now. Jeff went overboard. Matt says nothing. Every once in a while you got to stick up for your kids and show some emotion.
    the best kind???

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    We need a median between what Jeff used to do and what Matt does now. Jeff went overboard. Matt says nothing. Every once in a while you got to stick up for your kids and show some emotion.
    Exactly. The Buckeyes get an inordinate number of penalties against them. Most are legit, some are questionable, and some are just downright bad calls, but you never see Matt or any of the other coaches say much of anything to the refs. They are TOO nice. They need to stick up for their players, especially when they get baited so much by the other team that they react and get caught. Granted, they should show more restraint, but it happens a lot. I've seen in many football games where a team that shoves first doesn't get caught. That's baiting. On the bright side, the coaches are showing a little more emotion on the sidelines this season. They still don't stick up for their players.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

This has the potential to be a pretty good game. And that's if Gilmer, like y'all have said, can get out of their own way with costly mistakes, and play a full game of clean, disciplined football. If they can do that, I think the Buckeyes have the athletes to stay on the field with PG, no question. Hell, the Bux stayed on the field with Carthage and were in that game until the very end. But it's going to take Gilmer's best game of the season, so far, in order to pull off the upset.

I know this game isn't the one that counts, but it feels a little weightier to me. This feels like the kind of game that Gilmer really needs to win. Not in terms of postseason implications, but in terms of getting that shot of confidence, remembering who they are and what name is across their jersey. I liken it to when Celina played Argyle in 2015. That game had no bearing whatsoever on anything. I think it was like the third game of the season. But a very, very good, but somewhat unproven Bobcats team NEEDED that win. And I believe it was that win that propelled the team all the way to state.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it just seems similar to me. And it's crazy how much the narrative will change if Gilmer can pull off the upset. If they can go out and play four quarters of really good football and put away the W. All of a sudden it's like PG remembers they're still little brother. They're still the ones that have served as the doormat for so long. Gilmer's still the big dogs in the east (in 4A Div. II).

I've got no dog in the fight, obviously, but I hope for a good clean game. And, honestly, football season is just always more fun when the Bux are in the mix.
    Texas Forever.

You could be right, d0tc0m. I feel like it is not necessarily a "must win", but I do feel it is important that they play very well, and keep it very respectable. If we can somehow make this a one score game with a chance to win, we will at least feel good about our chances the second time we play them this season if both teams take care of business. If we can somehow win? Good grief, I think our team's confidence would soar. Confidence is needed to win the big games. I think we would be a better team overall if we won.
    "Kaizen"

P.R.I.D.E.

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    And, honestly, football season is just always more fun when the Bux are in the mix.
    Sometimes I think Gilmer has more "T-shirt fans" in distant locations than we have left here in Upshur County.

On a positive note, maybe this means the cramped visitors' side at PG won't be as cramped. I can tell PG really doesn't want all that many visitors to attend.