Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default Mount Vernon High School Football team facing possible forfeitures

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

There must be some pretty good 'new evidence' to completely flip from a 6-0 vote in favor of eligibility to a 6-0 vote for ineligibility....

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    There must be some pretty good 'new evidence' to completely flip from a 6-0 vote in favor of eligibility to a 6-0 vote for ineligibility....

I think that first vote was actually 3-0. I believe three administrators abstained from voting.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    I think that first vote was actually 3-0. I believe three administrators abstained from voting.
    it was 5-0 this time as Mt Vernon and Hooks didnt vote...it was 3-0 last time in mid Sept

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    it was 5-0 this time as Mt Vernon and Hooks didnt vote...it was 3-0 last time in mid Sept

So what's the deal? The kids were ruled eligible and able to play earlier in the year. Now they're ruled ineligible but Mt. Vernon doesn't have to forfeit any games?
    Texas Forever.

All-American

So what's the deal? The kids were ruled eligible and able to play earlier in the year. Now they're ruled ineligible but Mt. Vernon doesn't have to forfeit any games?
    Thats correct

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    Thats correct

How does that happen? Seems like Double Jeopardy to me.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

How does that happen? Seems like Double Jeopardy to me.
    Eligibility for any kid can be re-reviewed if new evidence is presented...thats been a UIL rule for quite sometime.....the Skyline kid who is an Ole Miss commit was originally eligible, new evidence presented at the DEC and he was ruled ineligible...he's since transferred to IMG

All-American

No forfeits will be imposed. Witch hunt over for now.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Sometimes witch hunts actually find a witch. And it looks like they have one now. Are you sycophants going to continue to support this serial liar after getting the facts?

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/...0-5d2f9f939e54

Why two star players at Art Briles' Mount Vernon were ruled ineligible

With new evidence coming to light, the DEC held a second hearing on Oct. 8 and ruled the players ineligible.

DALLAS In his first year as head coach, Art Briles has led Mount Vernon High School football to a 5-0 record.

On Tuesday, two of Briles' star players were ruled ineligible by the District Executive Committee (DEC), which is comprised of the district's superintendents. The committee voted 6-0 that the varsity starters transferred to Mount Vernon for athletic purposes.

Multiple sources tell WFAA's Jonah Javad that the ruling stemmed from the players' relationship with Lynx Hawthorne -- one of Briles' former players at Baylor.

Hawthorne and the brothers are related by marriage.

The brothers were ruled eligible at their first hearing because their parents and the Mount Vernon superintendent told the DEC that Hawthorne would not be coaching. The DEC was told Hawthorne was in town to film a documentary.

This is important because the UIL is strict about kids transferring schools if a family member is employed by that athletic department

Hawthorne is not employed by Mount Vernon ISD, but he had been seen wearing coaching attire and a headset during a team scrimmage this year. He's also been seen serving in a coaching manor, per source.

Furthermore, the bothers listed an inaccurate address on the UIL's Previous Athletic Participation Form (PAPF), which is required to transfer.

The brothers lived in an RV park with Hawthorne, per multiple sources. The address listed on the PAPF belongs to the owner of the RV park.

"New facts came out that were not presented or blatantly misrepresented at the first hearing," per source.

With new evidence coming to light, the DEC held a second hearing on Oct. 8 and ruled the brothers ineligible.

Since the brothers were initially ruled eligible, Mount Vernon does not have to forfeit previous games.

This case now moves to the UIL State Exec Committee, which can uphold or overturn the DEC's decision. The State Exec Committee can also institute further punishments for Mount Vernon.

It's worth noting: Art Briles did not show up to either hearing. His name is not on any paperwork. He never showed up to answer questions. He has, by all accounts, distanced himself from this whole thing.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by rb585 View Post
    Sometimes witch hunts actually find a witch. And it looks like they have one now. Are you sycophants going to continue to support this serial liar after getting the facts?
    This article is reflects almost word for word what I was told as well..we shall see at the SEC what the evidence is...

I will never understand why people defend Briles so much
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

All-American

I'm not necessarily defending his past of what he may or may not have done. But I do respect the man right to be gainfully employed. That is all. I don't know him and really don't care. But I'm glad someone gave him a chance. My Vernon may end up regretting it though.
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Txbroadcaster View Post
    I will never understand why people defend Briles so much
    Because he won games for the team they root for!

All-District

I'm not necessarily defending his past of what he may or may not have done. But I do respect the man right to be gainfully employed. That is all.
    Baylor paid him $15M to go away. He doesn't need to be gainfully employed. If he wants to be, he can start his own business and hire himself.

He shouldn't be in a position of authority over young people.