https://thegarden55.blogspot.com/201...l?spref=fb&m=1
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    4 Buckeyes on the list. Some great QB's

https://thegarden55.blogspot.com/201...l?spref=fb&m=1

Very cool. Lots of Gilmer and lots of Carthage folks. The RB and WR lists are also pretty cool.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
    Very cool. Lots of Gilmer and lots of Carthage folks. The RB and WR lists are also pretty cool.

And, I'll say this: I know Adrian Peterson HAS to be No. 1 on the RB list, but Dwight Smith is hands down, far-and-away, the most talented kid I've ever seen carry a football in person. And I got to see Quan Cosby from Mart play a few times. Cosby may have been faster and more athletic than Smith, in general terms, but Smith was just something else altogether. A once in a generation type kid, in my opinion.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Yep. Those lists brought back some great memories. Curtis Brown......what an athlete!!!
    the best kind???

All-American

Yep. Those lists brought back some great memories. Curtis Brown......what an athlete!!!
    Curtis Brown. Justin Johnson. Stump. A fun era for Gilmer football fans to look back on fondly.

Although, I must say, after seeing that list and remembering how ridiculously loaded that 2006 team was .... HOW DID THEY NOT WIN STATE?!?!
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Curtis Brown. Justin Johnson. Stump. A fun era for Gilmer football fans to look back on fondly.

Although, I must say, after seeing that list and remembering how ridiculously loaded that 2006 team was .... HOW DID THEY NOT WIN STATE?!?!
    LaMichael James and that damn 3rd baseman for the Red Sox??? We could have played 10 times and beaten them 9. That was just not our night. They were good but that was a state championship we should have won going away. Oh well
    the best kind???

All-American

Actually that was the yearof GJ Kinne at the helm. Stump started as a sophomore in 2007 and the legend was born.
    the best kind???

They didn't know how to play DEFENSE! With the talent that team had there is absolutely NO reason they shouldn't have been better defensively.... Hmmmm..., must be the scheme....
    I told a friend of mine after the 2nd game that season (a 62-42 romp of Daingerfield) that there is no way Gilmer will win state unless they learn to play DEFENSE. I knew there was probably some team out there that would hold us under 40 points. I knew our chances were extremely slim if somebody held us under 40. Sure enough...., we only scored 36 and lost. It just happened in the first round to the eventual state champs.

I'm not taking anything at all away from Liberty-Eylau that year, though. They had some major talent, too..., ie LaMichael James, Will Middlebrooks...
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Will Middlebrooks. That was the Boston 3rd baseman for a while. I wonder if he is still in MLB?
    the best kind???

Will Middlebrooks. That was the Boston 3rd baseman for a while. I wonder if he is still in MLB?
    Will Middlebrooks retired after 6 seasons in MLB. He was injured a lot, and had a "serious leg injury" in spring training with the Phllies in 2018.

I think Will could've been an NFL punter if he would've pursued that. He could boom punts. He had several punts that were over 70 yards in 2006. Most were well over 45 yards.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II

All-American

Actually that was the yearof GJ Kinne at the helm. Stump started as a sophomore in 2007 and the legend was born.
    Yeah, I knew that was GJ Kinne. I was more referencing the 2003-2009 era of Gilmer football in general terms. Kinne doesn’t belong in the same conversation as Stump, in my opinion.
    Texas Forever.

All-American

Yeah, I knew that was GJ Kinne. I was more referencing the 2003-2009 era of Gilmer football in general terms. Kinne doesn’t belong in the same conversation as Stump, in my opinion.
    Kinne was good.......but he never seemed like "our guy". Just a dude that came through and played for us for a year. On the other hand, his brother McLane was very entrenched in Gilmer. He was here since Jr. High so it was a lot different feeling.
    the best kind???

I totally agree - he was (is) something else!

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

All-American

The 2006 Buckeyes were the most overrated team in our history and perhaps destined (by God, if you want to view it as divine punishment) to be "one and done" because of what had occurred during the off season.