All-American

Default Jerry Long steps down as Edna head football coach AD

From Victoria Advocate

Edna athletic director and head football coach Jerry Long has resigned, and is the subject of an investigation by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department.

Long didn’t return a message Monday night seeking comment, and attempts to reach Edna school district superintendent Robert O’Connor were unsuccessful.

But Rick Boone, chief deputy of the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department, confirmed Long was no longer employed with the Edna school district, and that an investigation was being conducted.

Boone said he couldn’t comment on the nature of the investigation.

Long has been at Edna for two seasons. He led the Cowboys to a share of District 14-3A, Division I championship last season and into the quarterfinals. Long had an overall record of 20-7 at Edna.

He was previously the head coach at Woodsboro, East Bernard and Corpus Christi Carroll.

He has an overall record of 119-42 and led East Bernard to the Class 2A, Division II state championship in 2012.

Junior Varsity

This totally surprised me since Jerry has really turned the Edna program around.
    I know Jerry from his stint in Gregory Portland as the OC for George Harris.
    I have no idea what this investigation is about but it’s never good.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    This totally surprised me since Jerry has really turned the Edna program around.
    I know Jerry from his stint in Gregory Portland as the OC for George Harris.
    I have no idea what this investigation is about but it’s never good.
    he really has turned the program around... hope the Cowboys are able to find another good one... PS go read the Victoria Advocate... there's an article...

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

All-American

Yikes. This one feels a little icky. Hopefully Edna finds a good replacement. They seem to have a good thing going right now.
    Texas Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 44INAROW View Post
    he really has turned the program around... hope the Cowboys are able to find another good one... PS go read the Victoria Advocate... there's an article...
    'Inappropriate messaging with a female student'
    That's not good!!

All-American

From the Victoria Advocate
    Edna athletic director and head football coach Jerry Long is the subject of an investigation by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, an official confirmed Tuesday.

Long, who has been with the Edna school district for two seasons, submitted his resignation Monday.

“We got a call yesterday morning related to inappropriate messaging with a female student,” said Sheriff A.J. Louderback. “We’re working diligently to get the investigation completed in as timely of a manner as we can.”

No further details about the investigation were available Tuesday. School district officials have started the search for a new athletic director and head football coach.

Robert O’Connor, superintendent of the Edna school district, said he would not comment about Long’s resignation but said the district is advertising the position.

“We have not made any decision yet in terms of – there are really three options,” O’Connor said. “We can either go in-house, we can name an interim or we can just totally open it up and hire somebody. It’s late in the game.”

O’Connor plans to meet with the board of trustees and determine a course of action.

“I will be getting a meeting set up with them,” he said. “We’ll have those discussions, and they’ll give me some directions, and we’ll roll with it from there.”

O’Connor said he has taken on the administrative duties handled by the athletic director.

“Right now, I am doing athletic director duties minus the coaching part,” he said. “I met with all the coaches. The coordinators are taking care of athletics, spring football and all that kind of stuff. I’m just taking over the logistics and paperwork approval, banquet, physicals and all that kind of good stuff. Some of them are the head golf coach and head track coach, and they’re involved in going to different activities right now.”

Long led the Cowboys to a share of District 14-3A, Division I championship last season and into the quarterfinals. The Cowboys went 12-2 last season and 20-7 during Long’s tenure.

Long was previously the head coach at Woodsboro, East Bernard and Corpus Christi Carroll.

He has an overall record of 119-42, and led East Bernard to the Class 2A, Division II state championship in 2012.

All-American

I've known Jerry for almost 15 years when he first started at East Bernard when I was writing sports at the Wharton Journal-Spectator. This is a big shock. He left East Bernard in controversy when he was involved with a teacher before going to Corpus Christi Carroll.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop27 View Post
    I've known Jerry for almost 15 years when he first started at East Bernard when I was writing sports at the Wharton Journal-Spectator. This is a big shock. He left East Bernard in controversy when he was involved with a teacher before going to Corpus Christi Carroll.

Sheesh. I'd say this type of thing is now a trend for him, then. He may find himself unemployable.
    Texas Forever.

All-State

Edna has 2 good men at OC and DC. Robert Draper and Jimmy Duncan. My older 2 Sons played for them at LH, either one of them would be a good pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3rdCROWN12/21/2018

All-District

Heard Jerry Boy was cuffed and stuffed, then transported away.

I heard bond set at $50,000

Junior Varsity

They must of played under Jerry Vance when he was at LH. Jerry also used to coach at Gregory Portland under Bruce Bush. Another coach that coached at GP moved on to Geronimo Navarro who recently moved over to Buds Hays. They both coached under Bush at the same time back in the 90”s. All very good wing/slot T coaches.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    They must of played under Jerry Vance when he was at LH. Jerry also used to coach at Gregory Portland under Bruce Bush. Another coach that coached at GP moved on to Geronimo Navarro who recently moved over to Buds Hays. They both coached under Bush at the same time back in the 90”s. All very good wing/slot T coaches.
    Yeah, Goad @ Hays, Draper & Duncan at Edna, all from Bush/ Vance Tree. Current AD at LH Walker also from that bunch. All were at San Marcos together except Draper who is an LH-Vance Tree Coach along Herman, who just took HFC job in Marble Falls.

Very Successful Coaching Tree, AKA The Slot-T Mafia that includes Sosa and others.
    I might step on some toes but Walker is the GOAT from that group,
    Liberty Hill has played for a State Title 3 of the last 4 years he has been involved with our program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3rdCROWN12/21/2018