Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    Looks like I left off Kilgore(12-4) in Region 2 as a very competitive team to watch.....they have a very good team with lots of returners from last season's squad that went (27-6) and lost in the Regional Finals. They could most definitely contend for the Region 2 crown and give Longview Spring Hill(12-2-1) a run for the district title. Both teams lost a couple of games very early and have reeled off lots of wins since then. Both teams play a very competitive schedule and both teams have good established programs. But Canton(16-0) is in Region 2 also......and this team is loaded folks, no joke. The Eagles returned 9 starters from last season's (29-5) Regional Quarterfinalist team. That means they played 34 games last season with this same squad and didn't even get to the regional semis.....that's lots of quality baseball folks. They got knocked out by perennial baseball power Texarkana Pleasant Grove in the semis and then Argyle defeated PG(25-5) for the Regional title and eventually went 37-0 and a National Championship last season. Two of PG's losses last season were against Argyle in the Regional Finals.....that's how good they were.
    OOPS......Let's get this straight. PG defeated Canton in the Regional Quarters last season and lost to Argyle in the Regional Semis. Then Argyle defeated Kilgore in the Regional Finals last season. Kilgore was (27-6) last season with two losses coming against Argyle in the Region Finals......that's how good they were too! And they are back again this season with most of their same team.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks to me like the most stacked region this season is Region II, for sure. But Region I is pretty darn stacked as well and has been for the last several years with Abilene Wylie, Levelland, Iowa Park, Godley, and Bushland. Stephenville has been in the playoff picture as well for the last few years and so has Midlothian Heritage. Both schools have quality baseball programs and could emerge as serious contenders this season. Midlothian Heritage(12-4) has been moved to Region 3 this season. Wylie won back to back State Titles in 2016 and 2017 before moving up to 5A. I guess Argyle has replaced Wylie in Region I now as one of the Region I powers.....Region II has enough baseball perennial contenders without Argyle in that mix. Argyle has won two State Titles and have been to the finals five times in the past 10 yrs......and some of those years could not get past Region II perennial power Pleasant Grove. I think now Regions I and II are more balanced in baseball for quality programs spread across the two regions.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks to me like the most stacked region this season is Region II, for sure. But Region I is pretty darn stacked as well and has been for the last several years with Abilene Wylie, Levelland, Iowa Park, Godley, and Bushland. Stephenville has been in the playoff picture as well for the last few years and so has Midlothian Heritage. Both schools have quality baseball programs and could emerge as serious contenders this season. Midlothian Heritage(12-4) has been moved to Region 3 this season. Wylie won back to back State Titles in 2016 and 2017 before moving up to 5A. I guess Argyle has replaced Wylie in Region I now as one of the Region I powers.....Region II has enough baseball perennial contenders without Argyle in that mix. Argyle has won two State Titles and have been to the finals five times in the past 10 yrs......and some of those years could not get past Region II perennial power Pleasant Grove. I think now Regions I and II are more balanced in baseball for quality programs spread across the two regions.
    NOPE......looks like Argyle has been to the Final Four only 4 times in the past 10 seasons......losing to Abilene Wylie and College Station. Also looks like Pleasant Grove knocked out Argyle in the Regional Finals at least 3 other seasons and went to the Finals. Argyle's record for the last 7 seasons has been (200-38-3).....that's an 84% winning percentage against top competition......just to give you some numbers and stats. It took a few yrs to build the baseball program in Argyle.....they were originally a basketball only school, then a full class in their 3rd season for football, and baseball developed later. First year of baseball was 2006....just a start-up year....my son was a junior on that team. First full yr of football was 03-04 school yr.....so baseball came 2 yrs later.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 03-21-2019 at 10:14 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Look at those numbers for 7 seasons....(200-38-3). That's a total of 241 games played in 7 seasons....or 34.42 games averaged per season. Of course, when you go deep in the playoffs you play more games. If you go to the State Finals....you either play one game or two. In the playoffs a team could play just one game to advance or get knocked off, or both teams could elect to play a best of 3 series. I think it comes down to a coin flip if one of the teams wants a one-gamer. So some years Argyle played a one-gamer in those playoff runs because some teams wanted a one-gamer against them.

All-American
    Blog Entries

So what do these numbers mean??? The more games a team can schedule will help the team and players to gain experience and improve skill sets. It will also create more interest level at the school for more athletic types to consider playing on the team. Scheduling a good mix of teams at different levels gives the players an opportunity to be both tested and to enjoy some success during the season. All of this and more....including a good baseball coach....helps build the program to become a quality contender with a supportive student body and community fanbase. Now your youngsters at the lower grade school levels will gain interest and that program can gain attraction and activity level.

All-American
    Blog Entries

The overall goal or end result desired is to have a highly competitive overall 4A baseball classification environment to develop better players and more scholarships for these student athletes. College is very expensive now, so this is yet another way for more student athletes to be rewarded with more options when preparing for life after high school.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 03-21-2019 at 11:01 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Region III looks like it could be a very strong region this season as well. Lorena(11-3) and Robinson(9-3) out of District 18 have played a tough schedule in predistrict as has Sweeny(12-6) out of District 24. Don't let Sweeny's record sway you.....they played teams in higher classifications(good teams). Little Cypress-Mauriceville(16-5) always schedules the most games in 4A.....because they have a good baseball program. They give their players plenty of games in the season to be more experienced by the playoffs. Carthage(13-3), Jasper(12-5), and Lufkin Hudson(12-6) are all in the same District 20, and all are good teams that should advance in the playoffs. Don't forget that Midlothian Heritage(13-4) is now in District 17 in Region III this season.....look out for this team to do well also. Bridge City(11-5) is always a contender in Region III....they will be in the mix for sure.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I'm keeping an eye out for Lorena this season.....I just think they are ready to make a serious run to the regional finals.

All-American
    Blog Entries

There are two polls for 4A in baseball......the one at Texas High School Baseball and THSBCA(Texas High School Baseball Coaches Assn.). The rankings change each week, but I don't agree with either of these polls or the rankings of the teams. The only time these polls seem to be valid is close to the end of district play.....and any fairweather baseball fan could do that.....LOL.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Liberty Hill.....they just barely missed a State Title in basketball earlier this month......is rising to the top in Region IV with a record of (16-3-1) against a very competitive schedule. Not sure whether the Panthers have EVER won a regional title in baseball, but they certainly look like they have a good chance this season. The Fulshear Chargers(11-2) are a new school and have done nothing but win in District 25 against quality opponents. They have already won all 4 district games they have played so far, which includes a convincing win against a good Sealy Tigers(12-5) team. El Campo(12-5) is also in the same district.....all 3 teams should make the playoffs. Caldwell(15-3) in District 26 is also showing they have a good team this season. Fredericksburg(11-7) and Wimberley(10-7) out of District 28 play highly competitive schedules and both teams traditionally are playoff contenders in baseball. The Hondo Owls(14-4), Devine Warhorses(11-5), and Crystal City Javelinas(12-6) all have good records in District 29. And Finally in Region IV.....the Sinton Pirates(16-5) out of District 31 should prove to be one of the favorites to contend for the regional title. They did lose a district game this week to Ingleside(11-5), another good team in District 31.....but that happens in baseball. Rockport-Fulton(11-7) should also make the playoffs in this district. Down in District 32, there is a free-for-all going on as 5 out of the 6 teams have won at least one district game and two have won 4 out of 5 so far.....Hidalgo and Zapata. But Grulla has won 3 out of 4.....so go figure. They are all beating each other.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Obviously.....the object is to get to the regional finals for a shot to win the region and then you get to go to the State Final Four with a 50% chance to win a one-gamer and advance to the State Championship game.....which is also a one-gamer. So the playoffs is where the action is, for sure. Four teams out of each district make the playoffs. But don't forget......in the playoffs there can be a coin flip for a one-gamer if one of the teams choose this option, but they have to win the coin flip. Otherwise it's a best of 3 series between the two teams.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Usually pitching becomes a big deal during district play and the playoffs.....depending on a number of factors. If the team has secured a playoff berth already and can afford to give up a win with a lesser pitcher right before the playoffs begin.....then strategy comes into play on how to arrange the pitching rotation vs your upcoming opponent. Then there are some UIL rules governing days of rest and innings pitched as well. I'm not quite brushed up on the exact rules, but they could come into play for a team in the playoffs.

BTW......in baseball at EVERY level......good and timely hitting can and will overcome quality pitching. Mainly because whoever scores the most runs wins.....even if it is only one run, or in most cases one more run. An untimely error or timely base hit can be a difference maker.

All-American
    Blog Entries

There are two polls for 4A in baseball......the one at Texas High School Baseball and THSBCA(Texas High School Baseball Coaches Assn.). The rankings change each week, but I don't agree with either of these polls or the rankings of the teams. The only time these polls seem to be valid is close to the end of district play.....and any fairweather baseball fan could do that.....LOL.
    I should also mention that in baseball polls don't mean much once your team is in the playoffs.....especially in a one-gamer scenario. With 4 teams out of each district making the playoffs there will be plenty of teams with the lesser record advancing. The best overall team does not always win the region title in baseball.....just like in other sports.....but the cream does tend to rise to the top over a span of playoff games. But sometimes a highly ranked and highly favorited team to go deep in the playoffs or win their region will lose and get knocked out of the playoff picture. Then that can open up opportunities for other teams for a shot at winning the region or possibly the State Title.

Liberty Hill.....they just barely missed a State Title in basketball earlier this month......is rising to the top in Region IV with a record of (16-3-1) against a very competitive schedule. Not sure whether the Panthers have EVER won a regional title in baseball, but they certainly look like they have a good chance this season. The Fulshear Chargers(11-2) are a new school and have done nothing but win in District 25 against quality opponents. They have already won all 4 district games they have played so far, which includes a convincing win against a good Sealy Tigers(12-5) team. El Campo(12-5) is also in the same district.....all 3 teams should make the playoffs. Caldwell(15-3) in District 26 is also showing they have a good team this season. Fredericksburg(11-7) and Wimberley(10-7) out of District 28 play highly competitive schedules and both teams traditionally are playoff contenders in baseball. The Hondo Owls(14-4), Devine Warhorses(11-5), and Crystal City Javelinas(12-6) all have good records in District 29. And Finally in Region IV.....the Sinton Pirates(16-5) out of District 31 should prove to be one of the favorites to contend for the regional title. They did lose a district game this week to Ingleside(11-5), another good team in District 31.....but that happens in baseball. Rockport-Fulton(11-7) should also make the playoffs in this district. Down in District 32, there is a free-for-all going on as 5 out of the 6 teams have won at least one district game and two have won 4 out of 5 so far.....Hidalgo and Zapata. But Grulla has won 3 out of 4.....so go figure. They are all beating each other.
    THSB website is not up to date on D31 here are the standings and season

Standings
    Sinton 4-1, 16-5
    Robstown 4-1, 7-7-2
    Beeville Jones 3-2, 5-10
    Ingleside 3-2, 12-7
    Orange Grove 3-2, 4-6
    Rockport-Fulton 2-3, 11-7
    Kingsville King 1-4, 3-15-1
    West Oso 0-5, 1-11

Other than Sinton losing 9-0 to Edinburg Vela other 4 loses Sinton needs to work on coming out with the win. They had #3 5a Calallen on the ropes 4-1 with bases loaded no outs and game stopped due to possible rain, resume 30 mins later and Calallen wins in extra innings 6-5. Sinton defense will have to improve on routine plays.
    Robstown is young but they have played tough schedule and still shows some of the young in them in some mistakes but those kids grow up knowing baseball and will be a team to reckon with once playoff starts.
    Beeville has more experience team from last season playoff run, started slow but i expect them to battle for a playoff spot. Get to see them on Tuesday.
    Orange Grove hasn't been able to get many games in start of the season due to weather but they did go 3 rds last year and have a team to be one of the playoff teams.
    Ingleside i picked 2nd but with the win against Sinton might still be in the hunt for top spot, they played a great game defensively against Sinton, their pitcher had only couple of strike outs so they had to field alot of balls in play and made the plays. They beat a good 5a team Tuloso Midway yesterday 2-0.
    Rockport-Fulton has been off and on could be they don't have the depth in pitching. they'll battle for a spot in the playoff but will be tough to get in.

Kingsville King and West Oso will play spoiler as these will be the bottom two. West Oso was up on Robstown on friday 3-2 going to 6th before losing it 14-3 in 6 innings. Kingsville King dropped a 5-4 game to Ingleside last week.

That's D31. D32 Hidalgo record not so good but i look for them to keep getting better, Zapata is the top dog in that district before last night as Hidalgo took them down 7-0. Grulla and La Feria most likely the other two that get in with Rio Hondo outside shot at a spot.
    Last edited by SintonFan_inAustin; 03-24-2019 at 01:19 PM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

The updated records on THSB usually occur by Monday evening for the previous week's game results. A new weekly ranking will also appear for all classifications. Argyle won both games this week, so I expect they will stay in the top slot this week. Don't know about all the other teams, but Decatur in Argyle's district is looking very strong and I believe they won this week also. Argyle has its first district contest this Tuesday in Argyle with Decatur.....that will be a very BIG game, for sure.....the biggest of the season so far for both teams.