Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Pleasanton(now 10-14) knocked out a very good Hondo team 9-5 in a one-gamer. Hondo finishes at 22-6 on the season......one and done. This is what can happen in these playoffs.....especially in one-gamers. Hondo was a serious contender for the Region 4 title......but now one less very good team is eliminated.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

All-American
    Blog Entries

That sounded weird......I meant there is one less very good team now in the Region 4 playoff picture. Hondo has been eliminated in the first round in one game.
    Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
    That sounded weird......I meant there is one less very good team now in the Region 4 playoff picture. Hondo has been eliminated in the first round in one game.
    Usually get to see Hondo once a year, didn't this year with Sinton changing tourneys this season from Pleasanton to Cuero tourney. D30 looks to be competitive teams in playoffs. Not to surprise Hondo is out.

Sinton has been without one starting pitcher that was 4-0 with a 0.00 era for the year for half the season and his bat, he's back in the lineup not sure about the pitching part. Still missing one more bat in the lineup he's been out most of the season hoping he becomes available this next round to get his bat in lineup. Sinton been winning by pitching will need defense and offense to start picking it up from here on out.

All-American
    Blog Entries

The Bidistrict Round One is over now and the field has been trimmed by half. There were a few surprises, but for the most part the weakest teams have been eliminated from the playoffs. There are now 64 teams left playing for a chance to advance another week. This week is the Area Round Two and Argyle(31-1-1) will be facing Graham(19-12-2) in a one-gamer on Saturday. Graham defeated Snyder in two games 7-4 and 9-8 to advance to this week's matchup. I reckon Graham must have won the coin flip and opted for the one-gamer.....can't really say that I blame them. Just one game against Argyle to win or lose.......their best pitcher and anything else that can go their way. Anything can happen in baseball in a single game.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 05-05-2019 at 09:39 PM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

One very huge game this week will happen in Region 3 when Sweeny(22-7) meets a very formidable Bridge City(20-9-2). Guess what??? Bridge City had to forfeit 3 games in district play due to an ineligible player......otherwise their record would stand at (23-6-2). Kind of interesting all of a sudden, Huh? The polls have Sweeny ranked in the Top 5 in the state and last season's finalist against Argyle. Sweeny ended up (35-6) last season......not too shabby!
    Last edited by regaleagle; 05-05-2019 at 10:36 PM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Now I'm seeing that the Argyle-Graham matchup will be a series.....not a one-gamer as was previously shown. They will meet on Friday @ 7:30 in Brock for Game#1, then on Saturday @ 1:00 for Game#2.......and Game#3 thereafter if necessary. I think this favors Argyle more than Graham.....Argyle's pitching staff is very deep and very good! I also think that teams with much better records and a good group of pitchers prefer the series matchup to the one-gamer, for sure. Maybe Argyle won the coin flip, Huh? I cannot imagine Graham opting for anything but a one-gamer against Argyle if they won the flip. Regardless......the matchup is set now. GO EAGLES!! Graham knocked off a better Argyle basketball team earlier this season in the playoffs.......I'm certain that will not be lost in the minds of these Eagles baseball players.......time for some payback this week.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I'm sure the players prefer a series matchup to a one-gamer also......just because they get to play more baseball in a playoff scenario that means more. I would think this is a benefit to those teams that advance each week to play more games each week.....instead of just one for the chance to advance. It also gives the team that does not advance more than one game that week to prepare to play at least two more games for the opportunity to advance another week......even if it happens in a losing effort. The better team does not always win in a series......or a one-gamer. It's baseball and anything can happen at anytime!

All-American
    Blog Entries

What usually happens when both teams have similar records or both teams are highly ranked is a series matchup. Both coaching staffs feel confident in their team and prefer to give their players the benefit of playing it out for the win. This does not always happen, however. We have seen Argyle vs PG matchups in the past years as one-gamers several times.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Not sure about all the teams in all classifications with playoff games this week from East of I-35 and South of the Metroplex. Looks like the DFW area and West of I-35 will be OK for ballgames and no flooded fields. East Texas, Central Texas, and the Coastal regions from Corpus to Galvaston may be flooded and just too wet with some rain still in play at least thru Thursday all day......it looks like a messy situation for sure. The Houston area is certainly in dire straits and baseball playoffs are just not on the top of the list of everybody's main problems.......the flooding appears to be major league bad.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Looks like all the scheduled games around the DFW area all the way to West Texas and down to San Antonio will be OK......heard the Austin area may have some low areas of flooding but may not be a problem to move some games to fields with turf or higher ground. I'm not even sure if there are buses that could transport teams out of the Houston area to play games at parks westward that are available and with artificial turf. There are 64 teams still left in each classification playing this 2nd Round of playoffs......which is 32 different games in each classification X 5 classifications = 160 sites if my math is correct. This does not even include the all the Private School playoff games scheduled for this week and the weekend.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I really don't see any team in Argyle's upper bracket in Region 1 giving the Eagles trouble, but I do see a definite serious contender in the Regional Final against either Decatur or Iowa Park from the lower part of the bracket. One of those two teams will eliminate the other in the 3rd Round next week, IMO......and should end up in the Regional Final against Argyle.....barring any bigtime surprising upsets along the way. So it looks like Argyle vs Iowa Park or Decatur for the Region 1 Final.....I don't really see any other teams going to the regional finals. Godley COULD make a move, but I just don't think they have enough experience this season after last season's great run......I think they lost quite a few seniors. They would have to win the series this week against a very good Iowa Park team......not gonna happen.
    Last edited by regaleagle; 05-09-2019 at 07:32 AM.

All-American
    Blog Entries

In Region 2......there are a few teams that could still surprise......Like a Benbrook or Brownsboro. Not sure Bullard has enough to compete against a very strong Pleasant Grove team. Brownsboro could give PG a series this weekend and possibly knock them out for a major upset and open up this regional bracket for other contender teams like Kilgore and Bullard. But there is still undefeated Canton sitting there for somebody to beat.....I don't think Sunnyvale will do it. Wills Point plays Kilgore this week....I'm taking Kilgore. Sunnyvale plays a surprisingly good Aubrey team this week.....I'm calling for the upset here......I think Aubrey is under the radar and a very dangerous team. Melissa should get by Kennedale and face the winner of Sunnyvale/Aubrey next week. PG/Brownsboro is the best battle this weekend and the winner will face the Kilgore/Wills Point winner this weekend. I'll take Crandall easily vs Sanger this week and Benbrook easily over Hillcrest to face each other next week. Canton plays an up-and-down Longview Spring Hill and Bullard plays Van. Next week should be Canton vs Bullard in a very good matchup in this region. Brownsboro/PG this week.....Bullard/Canton next week. Those are the two big matchups that could open up this entire Region 2 playoff picture.

All-American
    Blog Entries

There's some definite contenders in Region 2 lurking and waiting for an opportunity for sure.....as long as they keep advancing. Just depends on whether PG or Canton will be knocked out along the way......it could get very interesting in this highly competitive region.

All-American
    Blog Entries

IMO.....Region 3 is pretty much between 4 teams. Sweeny has a big game this week against Bridge City.....so the winner of this series will contend for the region. But Robinson is full of seniors and have played very very well this season.....they are a perennial regional and state contender. But look out for Lorena and Carthage......these two teams must be considered almost on the same level as Sweeny and Robinson. The rest of the teams in this region will most probably falter before the 4th round. I still like Lorena as the surprise regional champ......but they would have to face and beat Sweeny to get a chance in the regional final. There is one more team in this region that could surprise also.....Midlothian Heritage. They could possibly meet Robinson in the regional semifinal and win that round to get to the regional final. Good teams in this region also that looks to be a very competitive region like Region 2.

All-American
    Blog Entries

Region 4 IMO is totally wide-open for upset city each week from here on out. This includes stellar teams like Liberty Hill, Sinton, and upstart Fulshear. Liberty Hill(26-3-1) will play a very good Caldwell(26-6) this weekend......keep an eye on this series......Caldwell is very dangerous. Fulshear(23-4-1) should handle Wimberley and Sinton should get by Cuero this week......but I wouldn't bet on any of these series. There's not a single one-gamer matchup in Region 4 this week among the 16 teams left.